Re: OK, so we bought this 928 for $250, and we're racing it

MurileeMartin wrote:

The 928's drivers will be very good, so you spectators will want to be watching as it racks up several really quick laps to start the race.

Their mechanics are also very good, but there won't be as much of a rush to watch them work- there'll be plenty of time to enjoy the spectacle of Absurdly Complicated Electrical Gremlin Hell, as in all weekend long. Did you know that Porsche recommends the use of a tunneling electron microscope to diagnose most 928 electrical problems, and that replacing any 928 relay must be done in a pure nitrogen atmosphere?

All repair must be done in cleanroom conditions by factory techs named Hans, Dieter and Gearhardt who of course will be wearing white lab coats and speak in monty-pythonesque German accents

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I'm hoping for 2750lbs with all the safety gear..... 

I am concerned that the constant spinning of the inside tire all around the track, while VERY cool, will increase the tire wear to the point we run out of tires......hmmm I wonder if a "smoke screen" coming off 11 all the way to 14 will get us a black flag???? 

naw its Lemons afterall

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

We're looking at ~1400lb...why are your cars so heavy http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/img/smilies/smile.png

Wow, that will be really cool as long as you don't pick a fight with the Size Matters Fury.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Evil Genius wrote:

Final stripped weight  before cage started going in.... wait for it....   2570 lbs  about  55% front 45% rear, with about 4 gallons of gas (behind the rear axle)     Cage should weigh about 120 lbs, seat, harnesses, etc another 50ish.  So with driver and fuel we should be under 3000 lbs...   still heavy, but we do have Mr. Porsche's fine V8 and Mr Diamler's fine getribebox to haul our fat asses around...        Gotta love that 'one tire fire'   that was posted on the Video...wish we had a limited slip diff

The suspension is STIFF,  with what we cut out of the springs the rate went way up....    The front has approx -2.5 degrees camber and we've still to adjust the rear, right now the right is +.5 and the left is - 1.2...       

I will post some pics when I have time

Just weld up the diff... no more "one tire fire".. I'm thinkin about that for my Lex.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Judge Jonny wrote:

It.... will not do well at Thunderhill.

But so what? Those 4.3 laps it completes will be the most hi-tech, luxurious laps in Lemons history!

Okay this is just disturbing since Evil "Richard" Wolff....went out for the 1st stint..& oddly enough he made exactly 4.3 laps before blowing an ATF line and spinning off track....

I think I've heard this before somewhere???????????????????????

However we were able to fix it and get back on track for some quality lap times.....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

It.... will not do well at Thunderhill.

But so what? Those 4.3 laps it completes will be the most hi-tech, luxurious laps in Lemons history!

Okay this is just disturbing since Evil "Richard" Wolff....went out for the 1st stint..& oddly enough he made exactly 4.3 laps before blowing an ATF line and spinning off track....

I think I've heard this before somewhere???????????????????????

However we were able to fix it and get back on track for some quality lap times.....

If there is any doubt who is the expert on shitty, $500 cars, there is now no doubt.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

If there is any doubt who is the expert on shitty, $500 cars, there is now no doubt.

We'll still get BS called on the Pendejo XJS, though. How can you possibly buy a V12 Jaguar for under $500?!?!?

MurileeMartin wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

We'll still get BS called on the Pendejo XJS, though. How can you possibly buy a V12 Jaguar for under $500?!?!?

I think they just price 'em at $250 per faulty head gasket

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

So now that they've fixed the transmission on the 928, it's gonna be totally bulletproof! That was the only weak point!

It wasn't 'til after the trip into the local tractor hydraulic store in Willows and the subsequent repair at the track that someone mentioned that the car had gone 4 laps, then I realized that the car failed in turn 2.  I did the math, yep, about 4.3 laps.  The man's a sage...         We sorta pissed off the rest of the people at the track day-   First we oiled down the track from the straight before turn 2 through turn 3 with 1.5 gallons of ATF..  The track's auto cleaning machine was inop, so it had to be cleaned up by hand (Yeah, we got a pile of heartache from the track personnel), that was a 30 minute delay..   While I was at the tractor store, trying to decide between a sweet used tomato harvester and 3 feet of -6 pressure hose, I got a call from the track,   the V8olvo just blew out its speedo drive gear and oiled down a different part of the track, you guessed it: another long clean up and more anger directed at our team...     So, with hose, an expanding rubber plug for the T-5 and a case of  ATF, I headed back to the track.  Sitting as low in my truck as possible I drove by all of the drivers standing by their idle racecars, as track cleanup was still in progress.  Repairs made we hit the track with a vengeance.   We found out that the car sounds like ass, the fartcan exhaust is too restrictive and it has the plugged up hissing sound, very uncool. We had over-lowered the front and the car was running on the bump stops, It seems that we'd been over aggressive on cutting the springs.  Bang, Crash, boom.   The suspension was bottoming out... Yikes!  Fortunately, we'd freed up the corroded adjusters and we raised it up to where is started working.    The car ran flawlessly the rest of the day...   Turning a 2:14 flat, with Dean from the V8olvo team driving.   

The Killer Bee MGB was there and it ran without a hitch all day, and the V8olvo had huge handling issues, They'd cut the rear springs to lower it and make it handle better and it got WAY worse.  With no money in the budget and no way to make them longer, it seems that it'll have to stay that way, they're hoping that a switch to Falken Tires will help.  The Hancooks that were on the car were dead from running 4 races and are no longer available. 

So, it looks as if the Kraut-Mobile may make it...

Half-German electrical engineer here. I want to race a 728 now! Why can't we get cool cars like that in the midwest?
oh yeah, rust. Can I race an F250?

l337r3dn3k wrote:

Half-German electrical engineer here. I want to race a 728 now! Why can't we get cool cars like that in the midwest?
oh yeah, rust. Can I race an F250?

Odd slip.  "728" is the union local number of hollywood electricians.  ooooooo  erie....

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

Odd slip.  "728" is the union local number of hollywood electricians.  ooooooo  erie....

Just a typo ... but ... but ... must have been fate. ::turns madly to craigslist and ebay::

"Flawlessly"  is not quite true.   There are a bunch of leaks we were chasing.  Pretty much every seal on the front of the engine is seeping.  The filler neck/oil separator was loose and has a bad o-ring.   The engine valley was filled with boiling oil.     

We will have to buy about $45 worth of seals/o-rings/gaskets to keep it from turning into 928 flambe' during the race.   Unfortunately, the repair means taking apart the front of the motor, including the timing belt and oil pump...  Less time to work on our theme...  This car has used up more man-hours than the building of Hoover Dam   

We still have room in the budget!

2:14?!?  Wow and congrats.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

2:14?!?  Wow and congrats.

KT

Ask and thou shall receive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qptfVecjKwc

yes we had some "issues".......but Richard Wolff and I were able to get some quality lap time in....we would have been out longer if the worn stock brake pads weren't down to backing plates

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

93 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-11-06 08:41 PM)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/11/103_2319.JPG
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/11/103_2324.JPG
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/11/103_2326.JPG

Here are some photos of the Porsche and the V8olvo from yesterday's track day, courtesy of the Evil Genius. Note vast quantities of leakage from both cars' transmissions.

The most important trackside accessory for our team in Houston a couple weeks ago turned out to be the huge bags of oil dry that I picked up on sale at Northern Tool a few days before and threw in the trailer mostly for ballast. So go back to the tractor store and get that used tomato harvester, and some oil dry. Good luck!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Looks like fun to me.  I like that 928 a lot.  The Gnome hits the track this Sunday.  There will be a full report.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Fast, leaky 928?  Probable rain?  We are doomed!

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

Anyone else notice how the $256 car was the subject of a 2:56 video?

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

GnomeFabTech wrote:

Looks like fun to me.  I like that 928 a lot.  The Gnome hits the track this Sunday.  There will be a full report.

Please get in-car video, with microphone placed for optimum engine noise.

MurileeMartin wrote:
GnomeFabTech wrote:

Please get in-car video, with microphone placed for optimum engine noise.

Murilee
Unforunately the engine DOES NOT sound good....the fart can tip restricts too much and just sounds horrible.....that plus my G-pro camera doesn't pickup sound very well either....  Heres a link to my best lap at 2:19.83....you can hear it a little bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arRUry6SHl4

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Rockford Brodie wrote:

Anyone else notice how the $256 car was the subject of a 2:56 video?

Thats too cool...since I made that video Thursday night after several drinks.....& I didn't even plan it that way!!!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2