Topic: Anyone know anything about 1961 AMC Ramblers?

So just picked up this beauty, sorry video not so great, but I never claimed to be Stephen Speilberg.

http://youtu.be/NqOuj_ZyyYo

Paid $450 for it, no cancer, a little surface rust only, Aluminum block (possibly see pic in next post), three on the tree with an overdrive unit -suweet, and pink with a white top - class C material for sure!

Came with an extra dash that has a factory AMC AM radio and all knobs, buttons, gauges, and wiring loom, except the ignition switch. Willing to sell cheap or trade for parts/knowledge/and time if you are in the Sacramento area.

Parts I know I need are the following, clutch linkage belcrank assembly, factory air cleaner box/lid, battery hold down bracket.

I need pictures of how the overdrive cables mount to the transmission or body underneath the car, how the carburator throttle linkage and carburator is mounted, really as many pictures of the top of the engine as you are willing to share with me. Also need to have a picture of the clutch belcrank linkage assembly so I can start looking for what appears to be a missing piece.

Sources for aftermarket parts/rebuild services/etc. Places people have dealt with and had good luck with. And good forums anyone has joined or been a member of in the past.

I am uploading some photos now and will post the links of stuff I have questions about.

Thank you,

Corey

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Re: Anyone know anything about 1961 AMC Ramblers?

Possibly Aluminum Block-is this good or bad?

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/R … AG0018.jpg 

On drivers side towards the firewall, any idea what it is?

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/R … AG0019.jpg

This is two views ot the same part, it is a switch of some kind with a bracket, maybe part of the overdrive unit?

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/R … AG0020.jpg
http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/R … AG0021.jpg

These are the cables for the overdrive buttons on the dash, need to know how they mount to the car

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/R … AG0022.jpg
http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/R … AG0023.jpg

Buttons on the other side of those cables - Help!

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/R … AG0033.jpg

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

What you have there is a push button automatic. All that is the shift linkage. I don't know if the automatic cars had overdrive. The trans is a Borg Warner of some kind.

The box in the first picture looks like a voltage regulator for the generator.

What I know: IOE SUPERSTAR.

needs more pictures of the Merc, oh and the AMC is way cool.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

So I have taken a look at the mystery pushbutton/linkage debauchle. It came with an extra dash that does not have that switch area for the pushbutton, I would assume someone switched it out. But it still has the three on the tree and definately has a manual trans in it. As soon as I get my 52 year old factory assembly manual next week I will remove anything that is unnecessary, especially slushbox parts. I want to powershift a 3 on the tree!

This one may be a little longer build if I can sucker anyone else into wanting to race it, just want to get it running first. Possible judgemobile at Thunderhill this year or Sears Pointless in the spring.

Throttle linkage ought to be so easy its obvious, once you have the carb bolted up. As far as the clutch linkage goes, that too is very simple. Typically you have a ball on the bell housing and a ball on the frame, and the Z-bar pivots between them. You may be able to simplify things and just adapt a common modern cable linkage.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Jackasic wrote:

needs more pictures of the Merc, oh and the AMC is way cool.

Your email should start blowing up any minute now!

cdickman12 wrote:

This one may be a little longer build if I can sucker anyone else into wanting to race it, just want to get it running first. Possible judgemobile at Thunderhill this year or Sears Pointless in the spring.

I would be very easy to sucker. I come from a Rambler family.
Let's talk....

Almost forgot the best part - it came pre-themed!

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0060.jpg

It shall now be named the Pink Panther! Pretty much because I am too lazy and tired to be creative.

I'm Corey's comrade in grease with the Rambler. It would almost be a shame to race it because it really is straight, but a chance to win an IOE trophy trumps that. After 11 winless races in the Crown Vic, Corey needs something for his mantle.
Its got some kind of funky looking suspension, so I imagine its going to scrape its door handles going around corners, but Its only 2900 lbs pregutting, so it might do OK on the straights! 125HP!

Panting Polar Bears, #58 Crown Vic, #78.5 Rambler, #76 Omega, #58 Camero

Good name. My parents bought a 1960 Rambler station wagon that was two tone, white on top and pink on the lower half.
Had the same engine with push button auto trans.

One of my first cars was an AMC Rambler; a 67 four door manual, 3 on the tree. Inherited from the family.

I've been looking for one out east here for about three years now!

Loved it. In the end, we had coat hangers tied out from under the hood so we could shift out of second.

No aluminum engine here though - across the top was an honest-to-goodness BRIGGS-AND-STRATTON press; the keys as well.

Only lawn mower I ever had over 60 MPH.

If I were a west coaster, I'd be begging to signup for the build.

Good luck gents - I WILL be cheering you on!!!!!!!  (as will my brothers)

Gormless Racing
1968 MGB GT, mostly kinda running

You could probably keep it in Class C with a Jeep 4.0 swap. Plenty of those in junkyards.

Judge Phil is right (of course).  The aluminum block is the old 195 block dumbed down by Romney. Prone to corrosion and minimal over bore on the iron sleeves.   Get a 232 6 or above and you will have a much better engine capable of some performance mods. Sell the 295 for someone into a stock restoration.

Talk to Matt Adair of Petty Cash about AMC sixes and transmissions.

Ed Stakes at planet Houston AMX is a phenomenal AMC resource as well.  Mostly a bit later models, but worth an email.  He was a go to guy for me with my 66_ 72 AMCs

Judge Phil wrote:

You could probably keep it in Class C with a Jeep 4.0 swap. Plenty of those in junkyards.

Blastphemy Phil! If we can get it to run with what it has, we will run it.

A magnet sticks to the block so the original block must have blown years ago. Shame, because the block alone would probably worth twice what we paid for the car to the right person. Gonna have to find the casting numbers and figure out what the heck is in the car.

Finally found a wiring diagram today online, it all fits on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper and is readable, can't get much easier than that. I tried to short the solenoid to get it to turn over and it just clicked. Pulled the starter out and took it to Autozone to have them test it and they did not have a part number it in their system. I begged to have them apply voltage and they finally caved to my whining and it actually engaged and spun. Not sure the battery I had was actually up to the task.

I have power to the ignition switch, the interior lights work, the brake lights work, but when I turn the key to start it nothing happens, not even a click. Tested the switch with a multimeter and it looks like it is in good shape. I am going to take the wiring diagram and start tracking it down to find out where the issue is now that I got a battery for my multimeter. Looks like the possibly retrofitted automatic dash has a neutral safety swtich according to the wiring diagram, going to compare the wiring that is still on the dash in the trunk tomorrow when there is some light out.

Started researching the carb and it looks like the guy we bought it from's buddy "who knows AMC's" F'd it up. Hopefully the service manual will have more info and some pics on how it should be assembled or pics of it in the car.

We need a drivers tail light/backup lens if anyone comes across one in a scrapyard.

Will have an update tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks for the encouragement and parts resources.

I'll tell you what I know about 1961 AMC Ramblers.

THAT CAR IS KICK ASS!!!  smile

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

My neighbor had one of these sitting in his driveway for about 10 years.  he sold it about 2 years before Lemons had their first race.  IIRC, around 400.00, and the guys drove it home 25 miles to Reading.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

If you can get it running with the engine that came with it, great. If that one spits out a bunch of rods right away, you'll want a junkyard spare handy.

Judge Phil wrote:

If you can get it running with the engine that came with it, great. If that one spits out a bunch of rods right away, you'll want a junkyard spare handy.

exactly.

most AMC's share a bellhousing pattern,  all the way up to the 390/401...

just sayin'.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Let me know if you need a 1bbl carb. I think I have 3 or more from various straight six Ford motors. I woul dhave to look up the numbers, but I'm pretty sure I have 2 from a 200 (Holleys, so you can get jets easily), 1 from a 240 and 1 from a 250 (both Carters if memory serves).

Does the whole top of the intake manifold unbolt? If so I would pick up a nice piece of 1/4" thick aluminum and make a 2bbl top for it. Pre-smog Rochester 2gc carbs are still all over the swap meets, internet, and junkyards.

I have several Carter BBDs, if you want one. They are butt turrible, but I think AMC used them during the mid 1960s.

25 (edited by Parkwod60 2013-07-09 05:56 PM)

The top does come off that intake, and here is a 2bbl replacement for it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Motors … 1184192943

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/American-Motors-AMC-Rambler-Nash-196-2-barrel-intake-Power-Pak-/00/s/MTAwMFg3NDY=/z/BSgAAOxyA4ZRP4Qq/$T2eC16dHJF0E9nmFS0KWBRP4QpvQFg~~60_57.JPG

But what ever 6 cylinder really needs is tri-power