Topic: Car Themes. Do they count towards budget?

I'm not talking about going over the top with carbon fiber or anything but does decorating your ride count towards your budget? If nothing you are doing for your theme has anything to do with performance or making the car better (most I would think would make it worse) does it matter what we spend. I want to make it look cool and not a rattle can job in the parking lot ya know.

Sorry if this has been talked about before.

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

Re: Car Themes. Do they count towards budget?

Technically, theme costs count against the $500 budget, but it seems that if the theme is good and doesn't contribute to race-improvement, the judges kind of look the other way on that.

It seems that a rattle can job in the parking lot sometimes raises less suspicion than a professional paint job. Or sometimes it raises more suspicion on the fake versus double fake theory. Who knows. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Haha, I here ya. My father wanted to paint the graphics on right instead of rattle them but maybe we will just try to do a "professional" rattle can job and see how we fare.

Try duct tape. You can do a whole car with one roll you steal from work. I hear you can make a wallet with it too.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Nice one. Duct tape graphics would be kinda sweet actually. Have to run it by the team. Was at Michaels craft store the other day with my wife (had to add that) and there was a whole display for colored duct tape. I guess they have a prom gown/tux contest for making them out of the stuff. They have a bunch of colors too.

Yeah, you guys are on the right track. If you have pro-look graphics that makes your LeMon look like an ALMS car, that might raise some eyebrows. If you spent a hundred bucks putting a near life-size horse and cowboy on your roof, the judges will definitely look the other way.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs086.snc1/4606_85839209494_36766739494_1929793_4159911_n.jpg

7 (edited by WINWAR 2009-05-27 12:46 PM)

That is sweet. Is there a "Best of" photo page for all the great themes from Lemons past? Would be nice to see what others have done so people dont do the same things.

I kinda think a really professional job on a total POS would be funny as well. Either way, it aint helpin these turds make it around the track!

How long did that horse hang on for till some unlucky punk got it in their grill? Is that your exhaust exiting behind the front wheel!

WINWAR wrote:

Is there a "Best of" photo page for all the great themes from Lemons past?

I keep meaning to do one. For now, there's this one from Altamont '08.

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2008/05/medium_2493683167_51f1494e0f_o.jpg

Yep, that's the Goin' For Broken winners in their previous car (which was a serious contender until it got eaten up by Altamont's demolition-derby characteristics). They've definitely got the costume thing down.

You can also see the Organizer's Choice Contenders from the last Thunderhill race here.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2008/12/Bipolar_Express-804px.jpg

Here's what the Phoney Express team was running at that race.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2008/12/PC_Truckster.jpg

Here's a very well-executed Family Truckster.

All I can saw is WOW!!! Those are amazing. There HAS to be a best of thread. Family Truckster!!! What?

Anyway, costumes definitely don't count towards the budget. Car decoration... well, it depends on whether it's intended as camouflage for cheaty goodies or not.

This one at Altamont Oct 07 was pretty good:

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2007/11/medium_2011065583_e6b019483f_o.jpg

A friend with a vinyl shop just approached and said he would gladly do all the graphics for us but I'm wondering if the car would look too nice then. Its a rusty 88 Golf. I just am wondering if too nice a paint scheme would have people after us. Getting free graphics is sweet though I must say:-)

Yeah, always bear in mind the paradoxical nature of Lemons. It's often claimed that it's not a "real" race, but then cheating is so common as to inspire at least one judicially-penned guide to cheating. If your car looks like a crapbox but runs like a race car, you might be in trouble. If your car looks like a race car and runs like a race car, you are definitely in trouble. If your car looks like a race car and runs like a crapbox, you're probably just in for a severe mocking. But if your car looks like a crapbox and runs like a crapbox, only then are you truly safe. Maybe. Unless the judges are piqued for another reason. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I here ya. Might do the major graphics/theme of the car with spray cans (but make it as nice as we can) and have the vinyl guy to the letters, numbers, and all the stuff that really sucks to mask out. That shouldnt make it look too nice.
Oh, and it should run like an 88 VW Golf. About the only thing done to it was to remove the AC and maybe a few vacuum lines and things not needed. Its not even a GTI. hahaha