Topic: Real Hoopties of NJ 2014 - Who's in?

So my crappy work day was just brightened upon seeing that the Cortina was accepted for the May NJ race. It was quickly dimmed again as I realized just how much work I still need to complete in the next few weeks. And that the wrench will be done in sub-arctic temps...

But after a year of sitting in my yard, I'll hopefully be able to do more then drive her on and off the trailer!  Bring on the Spring thaw!

So who's in and how much work ya got left?

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

Re: Real Hoopties of NJ 2014 - Who's in?

I deleted my other topic even though I was first...

Schumacher Taxi Service is in.  We still have a majority of the car to go:  Cage, engine inspection, main rear seal replacement, seat install, harness install, brake pads, all the fluid changes, electrical cut off switch, install a fire system, theme, numbers, run some CLR though the cooling system, tire swapping, blah, blah, blah...

And while you are trying to get your car ready for May, I'm trying to get mine ready for a test day at the end of March.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

3 (edited by Sonic 2014-03-04 08:12 AM)

3PM is in with 4 cars, including Ray's Cortina.  3 of the 4 are new or significantly revised from last year, only the boat is going mostly unchanged.  Probably 2 class B+, 2 class C. Still LOTS of work to do, the awful winter has slowed our progress.

We may have one open drivers spot open, email me if you're interested.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

The Brickmobile is in.

Fortunately the "want to do" list far exceeds the "have to do" list for the car.

While I'm sitting here trying to figure out which is worse, snot running out of my nose or down the back of my throat, I did a numbers check and came up with approximately 171 entries for this race.  It will be interesting to see how many they accept and how many show up.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

RobL wrote:

I deleted my other topic even though I was first...

And while you are trying to get your car ready for May, I'm trying to get mine ready for a test day at the end of March.

Thank you Rob, your cool like that.

Oh, I'm not working towards May... My deadline is way before as well... I have a test day scheduled for April 6th to see if she'll run for more than 20 minutes at a time. 
I then only have two weekends after that to make her race ready thanks for family obligations.

Cortina needs: Cage; fuel cell review with 3PM crew and possible work to to make it better; Repair leaks in trans and rear axle; relocate fuel line to underside of car from cockpit; vent line per new rules; brakes front and rear; theme; radio system.

I'm sure there's more... there's always more.

Where's your test day at? I'm doing Englishtown cause it's cheap.

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
'04 Mitsu in the works

Sorry For Party Racing is in.  Still have a good amount of work to do on the 'bird before the race though.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

WarpdSpazm wrote:

Two days at the end of March, one on Thunderbolt and one on Lightning.  I instruct so my track time costs are reduced.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

8 (edited by squidrope 2014-03-04 08:36 AM)

Car #396 Cheatee Cheatee Bang Bang is in for our second race. The car ran great at NHMS, so we are giving her a quick once over. The stick was moving all over the place so I'll try and re-bush the worn out linkage. We're also adding some niceties that we didn't have for our first race (Radio, cool suit, power to go-pro, etc.)   Fortunately we have a nice place with a lift to work on her until the end of the month!  We'll be in garage #120 so stop in and say hi.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

9 (edited by TheEngineer 2014-03-04 08:40 AM)

We're in, finally under Futility Motorsport instead of the old Waahmbulance name.

Car is still buried in a snowbank. Need to get it out, rebuild the engine, figure out why the trans won't shift, find new brakes, check a tire that's leaking, install a fuel cell, modify the ECU, revamp the cooling system, install water injection, and finally TURN UP THE BOOST!

oh, and get that active wing built and installed.
going to be a crazy spring.

Oh, and my sister is driving with us this race, so please be nice if you see the daytona being slower than normal, or not being as predictable as we try to be. We're coaching her, but it will be her first time racing.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

RobL wrote:
WarpdSpazm wrote:

Two days at the end of March, one on Thunderbolt and one on Lightning.  I instruct so my track time costs are reduced.

Oh yeah, the Hooked on Driving event... I considered that, but to run Thunderbolt I would have needed to take Friday off from work and it's almost 3 times the cost of the open time at e-town which is 40 minutes from me...
After some short shakedown runs of 25min or so, I plan to top off the tank and run a full stint to see how she is on fuel... e-town said that would be do-able. Not sure if you could run that long at the HoD event...

'04 Mitsu in the works

piper.gras wrote:

Sorry For Party Racing is in.  Still have a good amount of work to do on the 'bird before the race though.

I look forward to your fly-by's on the front straight!

'04 Mitsu in the works

We're in.   Mor Merkur  Mor BOOST.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Oh, and my sister is driving with us this race, so please be nice if you see the daytona being slower than normal, or not being as predictable as we try to be. We're coaching her, but it will be her first time racing.

You are going to subject family members to this bunch of miscreants?

Racing with 3PM - I'm looking forward to it!  Especially TheEngineer's sister.  I mean, active wing!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

RobL wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

My dad is already on the team. My sister has been begging to drive with us for over a year. And the rest of the family comes to watch races. Hell, my grandmother has been to a race and watches my ustream channel.

dculberson wrote:

Racing with 3PM - I'm looking forward to it!  Especially TheEngineer's sister.  I mean, active wing!

Easy there.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:
RobL wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

My dad is already on the team. My sister has been begging to drive with us for over a year. And the rest of the family comes to watch races. Hell, my grandmother has been to a race and watches my ustream channel.

dculberson wrote:

Easy there.

Don't sweat it Eng. Your dad ran with us last year... That makes you all family... and Dave wouldn't look at his own sister..... right Dave?!

'04 Mitsu in the works

TheEngineer wrote:
RobL wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

dculberson wrote:

Easy there.

Don't worry, I'm happily married and just yanking your chain. :-)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

I assumed as much. Just playing the part of the protective older brother.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I didn't get a note, but checked the entry page and we're in.

When's the englishtown thing?  We ran an enduro there a few years ago.  The dirt stock guys w/ the mad max exoskeletons on their cars were actually trying to hit the T bird.  I was run off on the straights trying to pass several times.  After the 30 minute break, we decided to go home.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

TheEngineer wrote:
dculberson wrote:

I assumed as much. Just playing the part of the protective older brother.

He wants to yank your chain. Perhaps your sister should protect you...

'04 Mitsu in the works

21 (edited by WarpdSpazm 2014-03-04 10:48 AM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I didn't get a note, but checked the entry page and we're in.

When's the englishtown thing?  We ran an enduro there a few years ago.  The dirt stock guys w/ the mad max exoskeletons on their cars were actually trying to hit the T bird.  I was run off on the straights trying to pass several times.  After the 30 minute break, we decided to go home.

I am going on March 23rd to take there class so I can get their license ($225 for 8 hour day class/track)... Using my wife's DD for that. Then I will have the Cortina there on April 6th.  11am-5pm for Open track. $125 for 6 hours.  I believe that's the car and 1 driver... I need to email and see if they will let a second (e-town licensed) driver run in the same car and if so, what's the extra fee... My 3 A&D's are all first timers so if I can get them a little more seat time on top of Friday practice it's worth it...

I would love to see another Lemon car there to get an idea of pace... What class are you guys?

'04 Mitsu in the works

Farfrumwinnin will be there with the Fox.  I haven't touched the car since the day after Loudon when I winterized it, but there (surprisingly) isn't a whole ton of stuff to do just little things, the biggest being fix the exhaust down pipe we broke and install the extra door bar to comply with the rules.  Its still got a snow mound in front of it so hopefully that melts and we can get going this month on some work.

The Volvo P1800 will not be ready but there is a good chance it will make the August race.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Torque Junkies orange & black VW golf is in.

No big repairs, but lots of little details: wheels that stay on, soften the rear bar, radios, coolsuit, etc

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Everyone's talking about cool suit for May... With the way Mother Nature is acting, I'm looking into restoring the heater in the damn car...

'04 Mitsu in the works

I mentioned coolsuit 'cause it was F'ing hot at NJMP last year and we were definitely hurting without one.
At this point I'm bringing long undies AND coolshirt.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...