Re: So, we went the way of the devil and got an e30, but also 49 dodge pu

I'd probably try a 8.8 out of an explorer out back. Not sure what up front. Maybe you should contact a shop that does custom street rods. Or you could try and find another unit off another Dodge. I wonder if a Gen I dakota front end will work? Love the truck. Once you are done hang a turbo on it just for laughs.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

How about Ford Aerostar? Did I suggest that already? I think they even had a leaf spring rear, so find one of those and you may be able to use the front and rear.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Astro van? Does that use a detachable subframe? Or just cut the whole thing off frame and all. or an s-10? Same with the diff some might have had positrac

Sorry for the long wait, progress is still being made, got the wiring mostly done, just need to add brake lights and possibly a radiator fan, got a radiator from coors for 25$ as well as a jaguar xj6 front suspension and am working on putting that in...also got a ford 8.8 axle to go into it, cut out the floorpan that was rusted to pieces, pulled the entire front suspension out of it, removed the parking brake cable, started on converting it to a throttle cable instead of linkage...I have been busy.  unfortunately I am probably going to show up at miller still wrenching, but at least I will be there and everyone can laugh at that one guy who's team has basically bailed on him lol.  The jag front clip fits almos perfectly except the oil pan is in the way, havent decided on the best solution yet, possibly notch the oil pan, possibly notch subframe, possibly both.........The electrical cutoff switch is in, and interrupts power to both the ignition coil and the trigger wire to alternator, hope that pleases the judge people.....

Here are folks who put a 89-97 Thunderbird rear subframe onto an old Ford pickup.
http://team321.com/truckirs/TEAM321TruckIRSInstall.html

It's kind of heavy but
a) tbirds, cougars, and Mark VIIIs are plentiful. They made over a million of them
b) It's IRS
c) rear disc brakes are common. Bolt pattern is less common 5x4.25 but hubs can be swapped to mustang standard 5x4.5.
d) can use Ford 8.8" rear diffs (not the same as the fixed axles fords but the ring/pinion gears are interchangable)
e) can be upgraded to a LSD using parts from a SC (TractionLok)
f) You can save a little weight by using the rear diff, LCAs, and UCAs from a Mark VIII (all these are aluminum bits or skeletonized in the case of the M8 UCAs)

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

As slick as that looks.....I really don't have the time to do that, also doing everything outside without a lift at the moment.

Ok, radiator is in, electric radiator fan is in, fuel pump is in, and all are wired/plumbed.  Radiator is from a 47 plymouth, and was too close to the engine for the old fan, so I stole an electric fan off the firebird out back, fuel pump is a 15$ rock auto special....questionable reliability.  Ended up using part of a 2x4 to mount the fan.  functional, seems decently sturdy.

updates

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/v/t34.0-12/10177478_10202994040083767_4253659379039852092_n.jpg?oh=b029a3fcadc1ba674b52943b9e46bde5&oe=5360634D

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t34.0-12/1966918_10202994039963764_7247450954463060817_n.jpg?oh=97710262ec4b4a54d6c0c11a49df1579&oe=53605134

For some reason the ignition decided to stop working and now I have to pull the coil wire fuse out to kill the truck, the ignition and the cutoff are not working, probably somehow related to my temp gauge melting....working on finding the cause.

Well, I have been busy with finals and all that jazz, but starting this weekend I am working fulltime on the dodge truck, so hopefully things move fast enough that it is done......nearly on time for the miller race, things I still need to do on it....front and rear suspension, fuel cell, roll cage, brakes, pedal assembly, brake lights, driver seat, steering column........shit we will see how far I get being a 20 something punk ass kid lol.  Help would be appreciated from anyone in the denver area, and I promise to keep a number of icy beverages handy for those that come to help over then next couple weeks!  I have my entry paid and my suit bought, unfortunately the rest of my crew decided to bail on me, which means I need some drivers at Miller, hell I'm not even asking a fee to use the damn truck, just so that we are allowed to show up.......guess I will throw something into the help wanted ad.

Well, again been a while since I have updated. Thanks to Riley for helping me out yesterday, got the rear axle pulled from donor car and most of the old taps cut off.  We also now have a working gas pedal! Huzzah!.  Not sure if I ever mentioned it but we also welded the floor in relativly recently.  Today I have been cleaning up the new axle, cutting off all the tabs and grinding the weld spots smooth, just aking a quick break inside because it it snowing, and my feet were cold.

You know my # and that I'm a sucker for BAD IDEAS (TM)
I did mention I have a tubing bender right?

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

wizard0ne0 wrote:

Well, again been a while since I have updated. Thanks to Riley for helping me out yesterday, got the rear axle pulled from donor car and most of the old taps cut off.  We also now have a working gas pedal! Huzzah!.  Not sure if I ever mentioned it but we also welded the floor in relativly recently.  Today I have been cleaning up the new axle, cutting off all the tabs and grinding the weld spots smooth, just aking a quick break inside because it it snowing, and my feet were cold.

He's got access to all sorts of odd parts, but that truck --whew. I tried to talk him out of it, at least that he might be running out of time. But he is optimistic and intends to keep making progress right up until the race, so...

It was beautiful yesterday but it was absolute crap here today; rain and snow all day, and he is working outside. You go Kevin!

Doc says I can't race. Am bummed.....

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Ok, finals are over in school, and starting tomorrow I am fulltime o the dodge, and oh boy do I have my work cut out for me.

bump for Kevin.

If he gets this thing sorted out --
1) people will believe he really is a wizard and
2) its gonna be one of the coolest racers out there.

Rear axle is installed, firewall mostly patched, now have seats, and started template to weld in front suspension.  Progress has been made.

Keep on rockin! You can do it!

Front suspension is now welded in...not the greatest welds but considering how over engineered I did it it should be fine.  also now has a drive shaft welded together, just needs balanced and installed.  mocked up some driving lights and brake lights as well as steering column.  productful day.

I need to come by the shop and check out this fine racing machine. If it shows up to Miller with a flathead and does at least a half-dozen laps, it will get some sort of trophy. Maybe even if it doesn't do any laps.

Sounds awesome, man. Are you doing the roll cage yourself, or hiring a professional?

I will be at the shop all day pretty much every day from now until we race if anyone wants to stop by and laugh.  5555 Locust st in Commerce city, the truck is sittin out front.  I am pretty sure Caddy Bob is going to be helping out with the rollcage, but I am assuming I will do a good portion of the work.  Hoping to get the steering column done tomorrow and then start on brakes.  Also drop off the driveshaft to be balanced.

Keep in mind that Cadillac Bob is the guy who did this. Your truck is sane by comparison.

The truck now has all 4 tires on the ground and steers, now I just need brakes.......

149 (edited by wizard0ne0 2014-05-17 10:23 PM)

Mirrors, Pedal assembly and brake cylinder are now installed.  Sorry for lack of pictures, phone died and that was my normal way of uploading them.....

http://www.murileemartin.com/Crap/RamHoodOrnament.jpg

Among all the weird crap that came in the trunk of the '41 Plymouth sedan that RichVS is now building into a street rod/race car, I found this old Dodge truck hood ornament (probably from about the same era as your truck). It was serving as garage decor, but I think it belongs on this race truck. I'll bring it by Bob's place in a couple days, as my gift to this project.