Topic: Changing wheel studs

Test fit our new wheels today, and the factory studs are a bit short. Is there a "correct" way to remove the old studs, or can I just sledge hammer them out? Ford 8.8 solid rear axle

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

Re: Changing wheel studs

The correct way is with a press.
But a hammer can work.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

If you're going to use a hammer, support the hub as close to the stud as possible, so you don't bend the hub.

I like to use deep sockets that fit well around either the head, or the thread area, depending on which way you are going, in or out.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Hammer it is. Thanks guys

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

I like to screw an old lug nut onto the stud before hammering it, till the top of the nut and the end of the stud are about even. It gives me a larger target to aim for.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Let us know how this goes - and how big a hammer you used!

I know that someday I'll need to do this at the track, and would like to know that it actually is somewhat possible before realizing that I should have brought the really BFH... after two hours of hammering.

Oh, and as a sidenote, anyone have any experience in turning hydraulic jacks into presses with what we'd usually have at the track?

I broke a stud on my Jeep several years back. I simply pounded it out with my mini-sledge and used a big socket with an old lugnut to pull the new one into place. I never had a problem with it. YMMV

I think the big hammer is the typical way this is handled on American cars with solid rear axles. Most don't have an easy way to take the hub out and use a press, and have thick steel hubs that aren't likely to be damaged this way. Also for stuff like this its usually not the force of the blow, but getting it at the right frequency that does the trick more than anything.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Put in 8 new ARP wheel studs on Saturday with a 2 1/2 lb hammer. Hit it hard the first time then just tap it out. Flange was supported on angle iron stand. Hammered them in the sam way. I have heard of using a lug and impact gun to pull the new studs in as well.

Fritz

Dahlinboysracing W/Frankenphil  '11 Crown Royal Vic SPWV 73 '12 Tom Sellecka Toyota NJMP 75 SPWV 43 NHMS 65, '13  Toylaren Monticello 120, Daytona 102, SPWV  83 HF! NJMP 41 NHMS 48th '14 Fireball  Integra NJMP 24th NJMP 18th NHMS 90th '15 NJMP 54th Daytona 33RD SPWV 4th Thompson  79th CMP 13th '16 NJMP 43 Thompson 21 CMP 32nd NHMS 24 '17 FB Integra NJMP 68 Cledus Snow Eldorado IGS 118, NCM 24

Air hammer is an awesome way to do this if you don't have a press. 

The downside is that hammer/air hammer is not good for the wheel bearings...

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

No sweat. A hint of pb blaster and a 3lb hammer. Took less than 2 minutes to do both rear axles. A couple were stubborn, but I never had to pound hard enough to even think of bending the flange, though I do have the LSD clutches packed tight so there is no real in/out movement of the axles.

Thanks again guys, I had been over thinking it.

Interceptor Motorsports

Glad it worked, I would have suggested the PB/hammer method as well always worked for me on american cars.

Then for the new ones I usually give em a few hits on the opposite side to set them, and then I use an old lug nut and my impact gun and deep socket to pull em in.  The lug nut ends up getting mangled but it works especially if you're not the biggest dude around like me.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners