Topic: Someone talk me out of this

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4423246325.html

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Re: Someone talk me out of this

thinking as a daily, or as a race car?

For that price it would be an awesome beater/parts hauler. I will not talk you out of it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Dave, you should totally buy that. Awesome find.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

4 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2014-04-17 05:28 AM)

As a daily.  It is the Bimmer of my dreams, a wagon with a stick and sport seats.

My biggest fear is that they threw a shit load of money at it in the last 10k miles... I wonder what other evil lies beneath. 

I have some soul searching to do about whether to spend my weekend driving up there with diagnostic type tools, code reader to check it out.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

It's a nice BMW wagon with over 200K miles.  Of course it's gonna need work in the future...but dropping in a lower mile motor is easy compared to finding another wagon with a stick in that nice of condition.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

Damn that is nice.  If it wasn't a thousand miles from me you might have competition for it.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

7 (edited by ICAustinMiniMan 2014-04-17 10:59 AM)

My DD is a 2000 528iT 5-Speed with a 3.0 liter swapped in. Incredibly comfortable, incredibly smooth, gets decent fuel economy (25ish), and hauls a ton of stuff. I've been driving my 1990 Range Rover for the past two weeks because the pedal position sensor in the BMW died and I can't afford to replace it. I paid $4k for mine and have around $11k or $12k in parts into in the past two years.
That being said, a lot of that was replacing the engine because I was out of town so let a mechanic at a BMW shop fix a battery connector for me. As a "favor" he replaced the support bushings for the radiator. He forgot to bleed to coolant system, so it got an air bubble and blew the head gasket.
They're not fast, or even close to fast, in stock form. It was a dog as a 528. As a 530 it's pretty fun. I hate to say it this way, but: Buy it, you'll love it. However, accept that it's a disposable car that will be dead in a couple of years. And when it dies, sell me the seats and steering wheel because mine isn't an M-package car.
It will have electrical problems that seem maddening but aren't that bad. For example, when I went to leave work once, I unlocked it, which for some reason turned the hazard lights on. Nothing I did would turn them off, so I went to figure out which fuse to pull to turn them off. During this time, the radio turned off by itself. I restarted the car, the radio was still dead, but the hazards turned off. Fine... good enough to drive it. Then I realized the radio would only turn on when the turn signals were on. Except the turn signal indicator on the dash no longer worked. It was quite the cascade. The solution? Disconnect the cable for the CD changer because it corrodes and shorts out a couple of pins, causing all the problems. My car doesn't even have a CD changer, just the cable for it. So they're fun, relatively cheap, but they always have gremlins. I'm sort of used to cars breaking in weird ways, so it doesn't bother me, but I could see stuff like that getting frustrating.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

Dave, you'd better hurry.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

IgnoranteWest wrote:

As a daily.  It is the Bimmer of my dreams, a wagon with a stick and sport seats.

Say no more.  The Bimmer of your dreams, and the PO just dumped a lot of money into it.  Now, that could be that he ran out of money, or it could be that he fixed what needed fixing and just decided that he didn't want to go through another round of that in another 6-12 months.

Either way, you are that amount of money he just dumped into it closer to having a reasonable car.  And it's the Bimmer of your dreams.  Seems like a no brainer to me, at the end of the day $3600 is chump change, at $300 per month it's what it would cost you to lease some piece of sh*t for a year.

bs

Nope. Buy it buy it buy it buy it!!!

I'll be the voice of reason here.

BM-expensive friggin' parts-W
Over two-hundred thousand miles on the odometer.
Not an M.
Not a 3-series, but it's even slower.
Plastic coolant pipes - yeah, they're brand new, but they're still brand new PLASTIC.

That wagon + LSx = win

Unfortunately I didn't have time to go look this weekend... Will be keeping an eye on the ad

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

Run away...

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

I can't find a good reason to talk you out of this.