Topic: Sebring: Terminally Confused vs. Roland's RX7

Sebring had so little traffic that our in-car videos are some of the most boring footage I've had the pleasure of reviewing.  The only bit that might be somewhat interesting is comparing my drivers various lines through turn 17, some of which are quite amusing.
Well, there was something else interesting to watch...

Our Civic started Sunday in 5th place and we were doing our best to stay there.  We had no chance of keeping up with the two Porsche (how do you pluralize that word??  Adding a "s" looks weird) or the RC Spiders BMW - they were all too fast for us.  Duff was just a bit faster than us, but they had class B in the bag and were taking no chances with crazy driving.  No way we could make up 8 laps even if they started pedaling.  The black and pink Civic (breast-friends theme, I think) was right behind us only one or two laps down.

By the time 12:30pm rolled around, we still had 5th and the 4 cars in front of us had added a few more laps that we would never make up.  The Civic behind us was keeping pace and making up laps lost to driver changes often enough to concern us.  I sent our last driver, Paul, out with instructions to not let the Civic pass him twice and to make the fuel last until 2:30pm.  He is our fastest driver and tends to drain the tank alarmingly fast.
Well, Paul went out and immediately found himself in a race with Roland's RX7.  It is a good 20 minutes of driving with some interesting exchanges, especially when the black and pink Civic gets in the middle.  Roland had no idea the two Civics were actually racing for position.  Paul unwisely used a ton of fuel but had a lot of fun.  We wouldn't have made it to the checker without the double yellow for the green Porsche oiling the track (thanks!).

Here is Paul's entire stint - only the first 20 minutes or so are interesting.  Apparently Roland overheated himself and exited the track around 20 minutes in.

http://youtu.be/T9A7t-tGvoA?t=6m31s

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Re: Sebring: Terminally Confused vs. Roland's RX7

I have got to check my brake bias and the operation of the right rear caliper.  The back end felt loose under braking on a lot of corners, but this makes three videos with smoke off the right rear tire, and I am barely touching the brakes going into 17.  I wasn't surprised with the video going into the hairpin, but this getting squiggly at 100mph just ain't right. 

Thanks for posting the video.  Very educational.

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

solman244 wrote:

Sebring had so little traffic...

... that is was a complete blast! As I've said, it was a 15hr Time Trial. We carried it away because we never had to slow down. (and we never blew up. not even a little.)  It's a powerless rock; when it loses speed, it's hard to get it back. (driving around in a single gear really drives that home.)

Duff was just a bit faster than us

I'm still not sure how. And, I wouldn't use the word "faster" -- you're giving the car ideas. You guys should've had no problem keeping up with our pace. B18 in a stripped out hatch should be a good bit better than us, and yes, it will be less "fuel efficient." We were going through the gas a lot faster than normal -- normal being 2+ hours on 10gal, Roger pulled in literally on fumes and we put ~13gal in a "10gal" tank. (honda says it's a 10gal tank.)

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

Thanks for posting the video. That was an epic battle between the two cars. We could only rev the RX 7 to 4000 rpm due to no boost. So the only way I could keep up was to do it under braking and in the corners. 60 to 80 horsepower with the long straights made it tough. Once we got on the straights we had no way to defend.  I was in the car for a little under a hour and started to not feel good. Found out the next week that I had a major infection from a broken tooth. Despite that this was the best battle I have had for quite some time and it was refreshing to race against someone who gave room and was predictable. Thanks again for posting and look forward to racing you guys again!

Thanks

Roland

So there was a TURBO RX7 that made it past tech ?

A quote from TheEngineer "you have a lot of confidence for someone looking to play with chrysler parts."
A professionals quote "so what if that comma in the price tag of your rig is in the same spot the period is on mine, I STILL beat you smile"

Sorry for the thread jack, ...

But really, a turbo rx7 ...

No bad coolant sealant seals, no bad oil control rings, no rotary problems, and boosted, made it into a Lemons race?

A quote from TheEngineer "you have a lot of confidence for someone looking to play with chrysler parts."
A professionals quote "so what if that comma in the price tag of your rig is in the same spot the period is on mine, I STILL beat you smile"

noxneon wrote:

No bad coolant sealant seals, no bad oil control rings, no rotary problems, and boosted, made it into a Lemons race?

Yeah, so? He didn't win.

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Everyone knows chump AND LeMon's isn't about winning...

It's about competing...

noxneon wrote:

Everyone knows chump AND LeMon's isn't about winning...

It's about competing...

Seeing as you're the expert 'round these parts....

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

noxneon wrote:

How do you know it wasn't a junkyard turbo?  A junkyard motor?

People never seem to grasp that just because THEY can't get a particular car prepped for $500 maybe somebody else CAN.

And, yeah, it didn't dominate.  It "competed" with other mid-pack cars.

Last weekend, I competed with about 4 cars.  A VW square back, a Fiat X1/9, a MGBGT and a Chevette Diesel.  That doesn't mean I think the BMW's were cheaters.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

noxneon wrote:

Sigh.

I normally stay out of these discussions because they end up going no where.  Sadly I feel the need to say something because I started the thread that got jacked...

Pretty much anything can make it into a Lemons race.  If you are willing to meet all the safety rules and pay the entry fee, Jay is willing to let you run it.  If you are bringing obvious cheater cars, you'll be the first on the wait list for crowded races and the first with insane laps.  The Lemons system works, as evident in this video - 2 Civics were fighting for 5th place and the RX7 was out having fun, but nowhere near us in the standings.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

You can see that RX-7's cheatonium glowing from space.

Roland's not fooling anyone nor is he trying. He's not trying to win. He's not trying to avoid penalty laps (I generously gave him only 25 at Gingerman. He simply wanted to bring a car that he can race and with which he can run some relatively fast laps in traffic. FWIW, Roland lunched that 13b, which was a replacement. He's thinking about replacing the RX-7 with another (cheaty) car that he has in his garage.

As Craig said, if you pay the fees, your car passes tech, and it isn't dangerously fast (like a GT3 car or something), Jay will let you race it. You may (Read: will) get blasted with enough penalty laps to keep from winning.

See also: Sensory Assault's crispy-fried-turbocharged-and-ported FD RX-7, Pratt & Miller's Camaro, Mr. Donuts' M3, Fukushima Debris RX-8, Chim Chim's GTO, et. al.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

As one of the drivers of said RX7, it had a FODded turbo that was making about a pound of boost and an internal water leak. It was not very fast.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

I never understood why the RX8 got beat up on so bad.  Sure they handle nice but the engine is a lethargic turd.   I know, I daily drive one. 

Our FD has raced with no penalty laps and with a billion and seven penalty laps.   It never made a difference.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)