Topic: what does it take to be a driver?

just curius incase i ever get a chance:P

Re: what does it take to be a driver?

Money, time, and a minor case of mental retardation.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Fishah wrote:

Any combination of those is good. Finding friends/teammates that will put up with your crap is also beneficial.

Dave G
Canadian Border Patrol

More time and money than sense.

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

$50 and a current drivers license

Grain alcohol in vast quantities in your formative years.

Access to safety gear (can be rented).

Peruse the rule book for more specific info.

Fishah wrote:

I have a little of all three of those.  Too little money, too little time.  Probably the one thing I've been gifted with generously is the mental impairment.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

I put this together last year when we attempted to field two cars at MSR.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1236660_10101285467035926_10535877_n.jpg?oh=cb69dfb5a6cc7cf27ab4b83de36987a5&oe=5449125F&__gda__=1414916283_a912d51081dc63e7860ebb25aae8a27f

bacon. you can over come immense levels of mental deficiency with enough bacon.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Are you a masochist? You are?! Excellent...

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

tSoG wrote:

bacon. you can over come immense levels of mental deficiency with enough bacon.

If you don't have enough bacon, beer is a good substitute. Be careful of combining the two at the same time.

Dave G
Canadian Border Patrol

13 (edited by Dimsun Racing 2014-07-24 08:53 AM)

EthanOfDodge wrote:

what does it take to be a driver?
just curius in case i ever get a chance:P

Seat time.

Starting with go-karts. It helps to learn how to recover from a slide (the back end coming around)

track days, preferably in the type car you are going to be driving. Like FWD or RWD. This can be instructor led or not. Instructor led costs more and sometimes you can find a team that has an instructor level driver on it so you don't have to pay more like you would with a driving school type track day.

Now if you are asking what does it take to be a competitive driver, that's another question.

14 (edited by yodogg 2014-07-24 10:36 AM)

Bare minimum, one quasi functional limb, one eye capable of at least making out general shapes, and enough neurons to coordinate between the two.

Everything after that is gravy.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, graaaaaaaaavyyyyyyyyy.

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

Money!   If you have money, most teams will overlook a lot of faults!  That can be said in just about every hobby!

If you don't have money, a willingness to pitch in to help and always be there for the team, will go a long way.

Being a certified master mechanic is a plus!

If you can drive like Michael Schumacher, teams will search you out.

Retardation?......well, I guess a little of that may be required too!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Short answer: $50 and a current driver's license.

More satisfying answer: do everyone--including yourself--a favor and get some track time in first. Instructor in the right seat to beat dumb habits out of you and all.

CaptainCardigan wrote:

no no, you don't need to be a masochist to drive. You have to be a masochist to want to own the race car/team.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:
CaptainCardigan wrote:

no no, you don't need to be a masochist to drive. You have to be a masochist to want to own the race car/team.

Quoted for painful truth.

19 (edited by rodknox2 2014-07-25 10:15 AM)

Ok, Ok...you say you might want to drive in a Lemons race...do you have the right stuff?  Let's see if you fit in...

Imagine this...You're in the Bullitt movie driving the Mustang chasing the Charger.  Only in our movie, the Charger is the Cheater.  You guys are haulin' ass.  The Cheater is fast and it's all you can do to keep up.  On the straight you guys are doing over 120 when suddenly you pass some little silver thing doing about 45-50.  You go by it so fast you can't tell wtf it was.  Now you go into corner and the Cheater is gone but the Queen Mary is directly in your path with brakes blazing.  After getting past, you pass a submarine then a wooden boat...wtf, again...is this a regatta or a car race?  Now on to catching that Cheater but there is some rusted out 1950ish thingy cloggin' up things.  Back on to the straight, the Cheater is gone but there is something in your mirrors that wants by.  It passes you and you still can't tell what it is because every panel is dented.  It might be an Alpha.  After that, you fly around a corner only to find that everybody has come to a complete stop.  And then things clear out and you do it all over again.

If any of the above appeals to you and you have $50 and a DL...welcome aboard.

rodknox2 wrote:

...is this a regatta or a car race? 

...welcome aboard.

Edited for brevity.

edchap13 wrote:
rodknox2 wrote:

...wtf

...welcome aboard.

Edited for brevity.

Was still too long.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

stimpyvan wrote:
edcahp 13 wrote:
rodknox2 wrote:

...wtf

Edited for brevity.

Was still too long.

Condensed to get to the core of the matter.

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

SpaceFrank wrote:

I put this together last year when we attempted to field two cars at MSR.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1236660_10101285467035926_10535877_n.jpg?oh=cb69dfb5a6cc7cf27ab4b83de36987a5&oe=5449125F&__gda__=1414916283_a912d51081dc63e7860ebb25aae8a27f

This made me laugh.  Often people ask what it takes to field a Lemons team.  I shall print this out for them.  It is truth.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

did someone say bacon gravy????

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10570543_10204650549968224_7512872512432242479_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.