Topic: Hello

New guy with a B body GM. Still in deconstruction mode. Love the Lemon platform, should have built one years ago. I will apologize now for the stupid questions in the future.

Re: Hello

Rarely are there stupid questions. Just read and re-read the rules and how not to fail tech.

Thanks. Our team is really pumped and working hard to make our POS safe and reliable.

Where are you based?
there may be other teams in your area that can help out with advice etc as you build.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

We are based in Chattanooga TN.
Time for first dumb question.
Fuel. Do we bring our own, or buy track fuel?

pjag wrote:

Either is fine at most tracks.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

pjag wrote:

Yes to both questions.  Most tracks have fuel.  You can bring your own to most tracks.  Both our Texas tracks allow teams to bring fuel.  We bring it and then end up buy some.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

Check the notes for the event you're entering--usually, they include information on on-site fuel or nearby gas stations.

On-site fuel is usually a little pricier, but we figured that was worth it at ECR, given that it's out in BFE.

So where are you looking to race.  Camden if I remember right has a gas station right out the front gate. So not onsite but about as close as you can get.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

We are shooting for Barber in February. If the car is not ready, we will try CMP in May.

Keep in mind that the schedule for next year won't be posted until November or so. It should be pretty similar to the 2014 schedule, but there may be significant differences.

Barber is well worth the drive!

We are hustling like rabid squirrels. I hope we are done in time. Next stupid question. On full framed cars, can the cage bars terminate on the frame? I have re read and can not find a clear answer.

The standard answer to that is to contact Evil John directly. He is the safety guru.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Thanks, will do. My mind set is to only build this pos once. If it takes longer, so be it. I don't expect it to be competitive, but I will not enter it if I don't think it is safe.

Can the cage terminate on the frame?  Yes.  Does this supersede the spreader plate requirement?  No.

Roger that. Thanks. Some of the down tubes align perfectly with the frame and others don't and will require spreader plates. Again, I apologize for the stupid questions, I know you all get tired of answering the same crap every time some nut starts building a car.

Most nuts who start building a car don't bother asking.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid race series.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

pjag wrote:

Roger that. Thanks. Some of the down tubes align perfectly with the frame and others don't and will require spreader plates. Again, I apologize for the stupid questions, I know you all get tired of answering the same crap every time some nut starts building a car.

You need to verify this, but I think if you go through the body to the frame, you have to have a proper spreader plate around the penetration point welded to the cage tube.  This keeps the body attacheched to the cage so it moves as one.  Check with Evil John to verify it is a correct statement.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

pjag wrote:

Even if the tube hits the frame directly you need a spreader plate between the tube and the frame.  Same as if the tube terminated on the body.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Thanks. That's what we will do.

as a recent first timer I'll tell you that you will be doing a little bit of emailing.  the rules are written as such that if you aren't fully aware of the rules you will need to ask questions.

but keep asking them and sending emails and questions.

It is also good to take pictures along the way to show your progress.

after going through the how not to fail tech pdf several times, when it came time to go to tech we passed no problem.  Make sure every one of your teammates has read it.. and encourage them to question decisions... then go back to the rules once again.  It worked out as a great checks and balances for everyone.

and spend money on the proper tubing type and size.. even go up a size if you can.

Sparky

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

dculberson wrote:

Even if the tube hits the frame directly you need a spreader plate between the tube and the frame.  Same as if the tube terminated on the body.

That's what I was trying to say in my post.  Thank you for clarifying.

As long as you read   -and understand-  the rules, including "How Not To Fail Tech" with its helpful illustrations, you should be fine.  For my first build, I had a local race car builder make and install the cage.  it never failed tech, but it should have.  If you have someone else cage it, make sure they are familiar with Lemons rules regarding cage design and installation.  For my second build, I bought a bender and made my own cage following the illustrations, and I'm much happier with it.  I have more room inside, and the welds are better (and complete!).

I think I have a good understanding of what the tech inspectors are looking for now, thanks to all the input from you guys. Our team truly is the embodiment of the Lemon spirit. We are completely building the car ourselves, because we are some broke ass mofos. Thanks for the help. More stupid questions to come.