Topic: Pit bikes/vehicles

I got this over the weekend for the amazing price of free fidy. My uncle needed it out of his barn now that his kids are too old for it (so obviously it's perfect for me). It's a honda XR80R, no idea what year, but i'm guessing mid 90's. I think it has an upgraded rear shock. The throttle was stuck when I got it, but that turned out to just be a stuck carb slide. 20 minutes and it works again.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a-LU2PjU7vQ/U965M5dXrTI/AAAAAAAAJ14/tNY4HlSi3tk/w702-h395-no/20140803_180334.jpg

I need to strip it down and clean the years of dirt off it, but overall it's in great shape (other than the gas tank looking terrible). Rode it around my neighborhood last night and it's stupidly fun. A tow hook for our fuel cart and it will be perfect.

I know others have some cool pit vehicles.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

2 (edited by rodknox2 2014-08-04 08:43 AM)

Re: Pit bikes/vehicles

1977 CT125 or some call it a Trail 125 or an Australian sheep herder's bike or a bush bike... bought it new... 7000+miles...original chain and front tire...it goes to every race

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7117178915_60148f53bc.jpgP4260055

We call our minibike "Death on Wheels".  It's a janky old minibike frame with a booger weld front fork repair and a 6.5 hp Harbor Freight 'Predator' motor on it.

Sucker will pull a wheelie at 25 mph if you're not careful.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Racin_G73 wrote:

We call our minibike "Death on Wheels".  It's a janky old minibike frame with a booger weld front fork repair and a 6.5 hp Harbor Freight 'Predator' motor on it.

Sucker will pull a wheelie at 25 mph if you're not careful.

If it's one of those little Chinese bikes; they ARE crazy scary.  One of our guys had one and it nearly killed me in my front yard.  A foot peg clipped a sprinkler head mid-turn and the front chain wheel threatened to chew through my shoe. 

Maybe my fault for tearing around with no chain guard on?  Naw...

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

What's a chain guard?

Kidding...

Actually, this is old enough that it was probably made in the USA.  But the booger weld is scary enough my crew chief won't even try to ride it.

tSoG got on it and it tried to kill him.

Hell, it tries to kill me regularly.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)

I cannot believe how hairball that thing is. I've been riding for 25 years and it still was an exciting ride.

-Anton

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Racin_G73 wrote:

What's a chain guard?

Kidding...

Actually, this is old enough that it was probably made in the USA.  But the booger weld is scary enough my crew chief won't even try to ride it.

We were pitted by track out, sitting there trying to relax when we suddenly hear a screaming engine and a loud banging sound. We turn to look and there is tSoG straddling this deathmobile laying on it's side. We went back to our conversation. Typical Lemons.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Apparently I didn't do a great job cleaning the carb, the bowl is overflowing. Good thing I have lots of practice with carbs after owning 4 motorcycles from the 70's.

This thing is stupid amounts of fun.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

cabinboy wrote:
Racin_G73 wrote:

What's a chain guard?

Kidding...

We were pitted by track out, sitting there trying to relax when we suddenly hear a screaming engine and a loud banging sound. We turn to look and there is tSoG straddling this deathmobile laying on it's side. We went back to our conversation. Typical Lemons.

And that's probably why I need to remove the flywheel cover on the pull-start side and bang out some dent or something.

I fired it up Sunday morning and it was rattling and banging like something had come loose in the engine compartment.

For the record, though, we did warn him.

TheEngineer wrote:

Apparently I didn't do a great job cleaning the carb, the bowl is overflowing. Good thing I have lots of practice with carbs after owning 4 motorcycles from the 70's.

Likely there is just a piece of crud in there blocking the needle, or if its a rubber tipped needle it had dried out and needs to be replaced to make it seal again properly.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Likely there is just a piece of crud in there blocking the needle, or if its a rubber tipped needle it had dried out and needs to be replaced to make it seal again properly.

That's what I assumed too, but nope, fuel in the floats. It has brass floats, which after a while will leak and slowly fill with fuel. Happened to me on my XS500. There wasn't a lot in these yet, but enough that they weren't closing the valve fully before the level was over the overflow tube. I adjusted the tab over the needle and no more overflow. Should work until I get a few float.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

If the floats are brass just solder them up. Warm them up until the fuel isn't in there any more (not with an opened flame) then sweat some new solder into the seam.

Parkwod60 wrote:

If the floats are brass just solder them up. Warm them up until the fuel isn't in there any more (not with an opened flame) then sweat some new solder into the seam.

What he said.  Had to do this on untold number of UJM's...was the second most popular repair in my college years when I flipped bikes for beer money.

I am surprised the Honda XL125 has not popped up here?  Growing up in Oklahoma you could get a daylight license for 125cc or smaller bike at 14 so those things littered the streets.  Street legal.  Able to hit 55 is the rider was not too aerodynamically challenged.

Honestly, I can buy a whole new carb on amazon for $20. It's a chinese knock off, but I bet you the float works just fine. Probably going to do that for parts.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I think you will find that the Chinese have a different idea of "interchangeable parts" than the Japanese. They also seem to think the numbers on the jets have something to do with numerology, and not the size of the hole, from what I have heard lately about their aftermarket jets. The Chinese version of the carb may not have parts that will work on the original.

I don't have a cool pit vehicle, but i did want to say that i use to own an XR80R, probably a similar year.   Despite it only being an 80, it freaking moved!    And it was so lightweight, i could pick it up and carry it if need be.

I had it at college.  I used to ride from the residential side of campus to the academic side.    Too bad i only had it at school for like 4 months before it got stolen, but it was an awesome 4 months!

I'd love to get another XR80R.   it was my favorite bike i ever rode.   (not that i rode a lot, but a few)

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Anyone who has seen us in the last few years has seen the "widowmaker".  It is the jankiest of the janky, some mongrel of the back of an old square tire mini bike, with the front of a bicycle welded on it.  Has another bike handlebar as the pegs, which effectively moves the brake pedal about 12 inches from where your feet are.  Front tire looks like it might be from the carter administration, and it is squirrley as all get out.  There are few who will get on it.  I love to bring it, because if I need it, it's always there.  It has only tried to kill me once, a couple of years ago at Autobahn when I missed the brake and ran my own foot over.  No real harm or foul, but I did gain a whole new respect for the bastard at that time.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Racin_G73 wrote:
cabinboy wrote:
Racin_G73 wrote:

What's a chain guard?

Kidding...

And that's probably why I need to remove the flywheel cover on the pull-start side and bang out some dent or something.

I fired it up Sunday morning and it was rattling and banging like something had come loose in the engine compartment.

For the record, though, we did warn him.

for the record, I thought I had fixed the dented flywheel cover, although I can't tell what really happened any more because I still get flashbacks, and nightmares.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Has anyone built a beach cruiser moped using a Chinese moped kit?  If so, please share.

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

Last night i learned that the bike consumes more gas at WOT than the filler line can replenish. So when you go ripping around your neighborhood trying to find the top speed of the bike it will eventually fuel starve. It's also leaking some oil, which means it fits in perfectly with my other bikes.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:

Last night i learned that the bike consumes more gas at WOT than the filler line can replenish. So when you go ripping around your neighborhood trying to find the top speed of the bike it will eventually fuel starve. It's also leaking some oil, which means it fits in perfectly with my other bikes.

This is a perfect place to post the picture of what I found while trying to solve a similar issue on my CB750. While some people will suggest you check the vent in the fuel cap, and also the float bowl vent I was pretty sure that wasn't my issue. I drained enough gas out of the tank to take the petcock off and this is what it looked like

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-USZ0w1yKzn0/U_O7U2X_rII/AAAAAAAAKW0/tJyDgIQoUl0/w721-h541-no/DSC_0139.jpg

I suspect you will find something similar in your tank.

I'll take a look, but everything in the tank looked pretty clean. Doesn't mean I couldn't have missed something though.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

gump wrote:

Has anyone built a beach cruiser moped using a Chinese moped kit?  If so, please share.

I've built a few of them.

I currently have two in my garage: a 26" direct drive / single speed and a 29" multi speed jack-shaft. The multi speed jack-shaft sounds cool in theory, but it's only a few mph faster than the single speed direct drive.  You end up using only one or two gears as the torque band of the Shanghai Special is wider than the gear range of the bicycle.

Also, the single speed is a more raw visceral experience.  It's loud, vibrates like crazy and reminds you that it may come apart at any second.  It's the perfect primer for a Lemons car.

The single speed tops out at a very dangerous 31 mph while the jack-shaft bike can hit an even more sketchy 36 - 37 mph.  This sounds like a cool pit bike, but the down side to these bikes is that they don't like to go slow.  Anything less than 15 mph, the single-speed starts lugging down and surges.

My recommendation to anyone building a bike like this, don't waste your time with the "rag joint" (sprocket that uses a rubber gasket which attaches to the spokes) and instead spend $20 on the sprocket mount that bolts directly to the rear hub.  It's almost impossible to get the rag joint perfectly centered, and an un-centered rear sprocket will play havoc on drive chain tension which will eventually break the chain.

Single-speed direct drive:

(original wheels / rag joint)
http://i.imgur.com/jYCijKI.jpg 

(fatter rear wheel with solid hub mounted sprocket and lemony laid-back seat post)
http://i.imgur.com/ziG3HZZ.jpg

Multi-speed jack shaft:
http://i.imgur.com/cawR6YS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/J45e1yb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7G5MlD9.jpg

The Pentastar whisperer

@bayley, thanks for the post.  Can you point me to a source for the kits?  Including the solid hub?

Nice looking bikes. Exactly what I would like to build.  Maybe not as nice looking as yours.  Have you investigated a different rear sprocket to make them more pit friendly?

Thanks,

Andrew

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

TheEngineer wrote:

I'll take a look, but everything in the tank looked pretty clean. Doesn't mean I couldn't have missed something though.

That came out of a tank that had soaked in vinegar for weeks, to eat the rust. then flushed with 1) gallons of water 2) about a quart of rubbing alcohol and 3) a mixture of atf and old gasoline. Then ridden for more than 25 gallons of gas thru the tank. Crud finds a way in there.

I currently have a beach cruiser and an XR75 motor in the garage. They may mate, we shall see.