1 (edited by Drdanteiii 2014-08-14 07:23 AM)

Topic: ford modular V8 reliability?

So we are investigating options for exorcising the turbo demons from our merkur, and are looking at a very american solution...

MOAR POWRRRRRRR

I know that the crown vics and their derivatives seem to be pretty reliable.  The question is: It the ford modular V8 inherently reliable, or it its reliability due to the equipment that accompanies it on the Panther platform?

Has there been any other Modular powered Lemons that were not Panthers?

I know we will probably end up in class A with dozens of penalty laps, but my team is at the point where we would rather lose Class A on the track than lose class B in the paddock.  And what is better for reliability than an ill advised and poorly executed engine swap?

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Re: ford modular V8 reliability?

It is above-average reliable in Lemons. In fact, it's the only Detroit V8 that's pretty reliable in Lemons. This is only the 4.6 2-valve engine— stay away from the Mark VIII 4-valve if you want reliability.

You can avoid the penalty laps by getting a residual value and following it.

Judge Phil wrote:

It is above-average reliable in Lemons. In fact, it's the only Detroit V8 that's pretty reliable in Lemons. This is only the 4.6 2-valve engine— stay away from the Mark VIII 4-valve if you want reliability.

Why do you say that?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Judge Phil wrote:

We certainly plan to get a residual value, sell parts like there is no tomorrow, and document all transactions.

We swapped the DOHC Mark 4.6 into our fairmont. It took quite a bit of buy-sell-trade to get all the parts and pieces we needed and do it under budget. The engine is from a 200k+ car that had a bad automatic trans behind it.

Simple parts list (that only covers the stuff we had headaches with)

We bought both a 95 and a 98 mark Viii, the engine and wiring from the 95 and intake and exhaust manifolds from the 98. The wiring was stupid simple, 3 grounds and two power wires.

The crank, block bolt pattern, motor mounts, water pump, etc are all similar and mostly interchangeable. We horse traded for a T45 to go behind it.

the SOHC is viable, and If I was to do another, I might go with a non-PI motor and convert to PI. Be cautious of an OBDII car, you'll have more headaches on the wiring side. Thought, the crown vic's have a low oil cutoff built in to the ECM, that might be worth a bit of hassle.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

I'd drive a ford modular to Tierra del Fuego and back tomorrow if asked. We would have already made the swap but the 351w has been treating us far better than expected. Do it.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

The headgaskets don't seem to be an issue with 4.6L engines.
The plastic coolant crossovers in the early models can leak but IIRC, that's often solved with a PI intake manifold swap.

Other comments about the spark plugs
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/09 … engines/2/

I would have gone with a 4.6L for my tbird if I didn't already have the matching manual M5R2 transmission (and spare) that would readily mate to the 5.0 instead.
The upside with a blow-uppy 5.0 is that besides being getting an "I told you so" from Judge Phil, I do appreciate that at least in our tight engine bay it's easier to access the spark plugs/headers since the 5.0/302 is narrower. Also, parts are stupid cheap -- nevermind, the 4.6L is just as stupidly cheap as the 5.0 (water pumps for $14-20 bucks?! How is that even possible to manufacture and ship over from China?)

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:

The headgaskets don't seem to be an issue with 4.6L engines.
The plastic coolant crossovers in the early models can leak but IIRC, that's often solved with a PI intake manifold swap.

Other comments about the spark plugs
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/09 … engines/2/

I would have gone with a 4.6L for my tbird if I didn't already have the matching manual M5R2 transmission (and spare) that would readily mate to the 5.0 instead.
The upside with a blow-uppy 5.0 is that besides being getting an "I told you so" from Judge Phil, I do appreciate that at least in our tight engine bay it's easier to access the spark plugs/headers since the 5.0/302 is narrower. Also, parts are stupid cheap -- nevermind, the 4.6L is just as stupidly cheap as the 5.0 (water pumps for $14-20 bucks?! How is that even possible to manufacture and ship over from China?)

-g

While most parts for the 4.6 are cheap, replacing the bolts when you rebuild it is a $350 affair. This is from experience, with receipts to prove it. We raced the first motor 10 times on a car that had a broken odometer stuck at 170,000 miles, but was a CHP car, a taxi, then a private security car. Do the PI swap on a pre 1997 bottom end 10:1 compression, worth every penny, I got my heads from a tuner shop for a case of beer. Pretty straight forward swap. Look at the mustang forums, there are hundreds of swaps documented there.

Good luck.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Is there room in an XR4Ti engine bay for a OHC V8?

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

This is a great consideration, the engine is very wide.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

cdickman12 wrote:

While most parts for the 4.6 are cheap, replacing the bolts when you rebuild it is a $350 affair.

Torque to yield Side bolts for the main caps are what, $16.50 a pop? When I picked up my rebuild parts from the parts counter, they were missing 9 of the 10 side bolts I'd ordered, so I only paid for what was on hand. As soon as I looked at the receipt, I told the guy to cancel the other 9 because FUCK THAT BUSINESS.

ARP has a set for like $50. Those have gone on my Lemons motor. OEM primary main cap bolts weren't bad as I recall. I didn't replace my rod cap bolts. Head bolts weren't awful (Rockauto'd those), and I did replace the janky TTY harmonic balancer pulley bolt with a bignasty one I got at Fastenal.

I also replaced the timing chain tensioner bolts with Fastenal bolts. This is because one of the OEM bolts sheared off when I went to do the obligatory timing tensioner replacement (because this motor was well into the process of grinding the tensioner and guide assemblies to dust). I didn't replace the chains. I didn't undo any of the bolts in the valvetrain and therefore did not replace them.

I did a teardown on a multi-race veteran 4.6 and everything was in pretty fantastic condition, aside from the water jacket crack in the top of the block (in the valley), presumably from freezing. This crack led to the motor overheating. Badly. And repeatedly. And often. But the innards of the motor didn't seem to have noticed.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:
cdickman12 wrote:

While most parts for the 4.6 are cheap, replacing the bolts when you rebuild it is a $350 affair.

Torque to yield Side bolts for the main caps are what, $16.50 a pop? When I picked up my rebuild parts from the parts counter, they were missing 9 of the 10 side bolts I'd ordered, so I only paid for what was on hand. As soon as I looked at the receipt, I told the guy to cancel the other 9 because FUCK THAT BUSINESS.

ARP has a set for like $50. Those have gone on my Lemons motor. OEM primary main cap bolts weren't bad as I recall. I didn't replace my rod cap bolts. Head bolts weren't awful (Rockauto'd those), and I did replace the janky TTY harmonic balancer pulley bolt with a bignasty one I got at Fastenal.

I also replaced the timing chain tensioner bolts with Fastenal bolts. This is because one of the OEM bolts sheared off when I went to do the obligatory timing tensioner replacement (because this motor was well into the process of grinding the tensioner and guide assemblies to dust). I didn't replace the chains. I didn't undo any of the bolts in the valvetrain and therefore did not replace them.

I did a teardown on a multi-race veteran 4.6 and everything was in pretty fantastic condition, aside from the water jacket crack in the top of the block (in the valley), presumably from freezing. This crack led to the motor overheating. Badly. And repeatedly. And often. But the innards of the motor didn't seem to have noticed.

The head bolts, rod bolts, main cap bolts, and side bolts from the factory are all TTY and should be replaced when you rebuild the engine. I read they can be reused up to five times from some other forums, but was unsure about how many times our motor had been torn apart or even if this was true. Because I had no history for the motor we had we chose to go the safe, reliable route.

The TTY main cap bolt set from Ford I got was $60, the side bolt kit from MMR non TTY was $75, the head change kit (Comes with head gaskets and intake gaskets) from Ford TTY $115, the connecting rod bolts from Ford TTY were $64 for all 16.

$314 for just bolts and the head gaskets, I bought the head change kit with the head gaskets and intake because it was cheaper than buying the head bolts separately from the gaskets. By this I mean you pretty much get a free set of head and intake gaskets vs. purchasing the head bolts and gaskets individually from Ford or Summit.

The non-TTY side bolts are easily purchased from multiple aftermarket companies cheaper than the Ford TTY bolts, Where you take it in the shorts is the head bolts, the ARP stud or bolt kit is really the only option for non-TTY head bolts, just the head studs from ARP start at around $300 a set. To purchase the above equivalent ARP hardware for the motor came in very close to $500, without head gaskets I may add. Which is why we bought the TTY Ford head, main cap, and connecting rod bolts. And for the side bolts MMR non TTY bolts to rebuild the motor.

I know you can get away with a cheaper method but personally I would not skimp on bolts if you are rebuilding one of these, they are awesome motors and will run pretty much forever. The rebuild looks daunting but is not too bad once you get into it.

Parkwod60 wrote:

There are a few running around with DOHC 32V modulars in them.  Its a tight fit, but it works.  I figure that a single cam version should be easier.

http://www.reocities.com/ranger7ltr_99/xr-dohc.jpg

cdickman12 wrote:
Parkwod60 wrote:

Just how wide ARE these things?

I got a crazy idea the other day and started looking them up, some folks say they are wider than an old 427SOHC. Which I've never seen in the wild either so I'm still clueless... but it sounds big.

I mentioned it to my machinist this am and he started rambling on about having to pull the motor to change spark-plugs or head gaskets blah-blah-blah. <shrugs>

It was enough to make me say "meh" and go right back to our first bad idea.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Sparky Pete wrote:
cdickman12 wrote:
Parkwod60 wrote:

I got a crazy idea the other day and started looking them up, some folks say they are wider than an old 427SOHC. Which I've never seen in the wild either so I'm still clueless... but it sounds big.

I mentioned it to my machinist this am and he started rambling on about having to pull the motor to change spark-plugs or head gaskets blah-blah-blah. <shrugs>

Head gaskets dont blow on them, generally. The spark plugs are on top, making them stupid easy to change.

Fits in a foxbody without too much issue.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTXF12/060-LTXF12-UG.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

The spark plugs are on top, making them stupid easy to change.

Isn't this the motor where the spark plugs change themselves...violently? or is that only the larger motors.

I do know the XOHC modular 4.6 is overall highly regard in Lemons.

OnkelUdo wrote:

The spark plugs are on top, making them stupid easy to change.

Isn't this the motor where the spark plugs change themselves...violently? or is that only the larger motors.

I do know the XOHC modular 4.6 is overall highly regard in Lemons.

LOL those are mostly the 5.4 sohc, but it can happen to any of them. A little anti seize on the plugs helps to keep the threads happy. Im not aware of the DOHC's blowing plugs, though people love to strip the threads for some reason.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Sparky Pete wrote:
cdickman12 wrote:
Parkwod60 wrote:

Think of the biggest engine you've ever seen (automotive) then add 4" width

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

19 (edited by Baron 2014-08-19 07:52 AM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
Sparky Pete wrote:
cdickman12 wrote:

Think of the biggest engine you've ever seen (automotive) then add 4" width

Interesting tech page:

http://www.sullivanperformance.com/yvs4 … /tech1.htm

http://www.sullivanperformance.com/yvs450/tech/enginef.gif

4.6L DOHC Cobra Intake   

26 5/8" wide

Interesting note, the way the heads are shaped, the manifolds are inboard of the widest point (valve covers) on the DOHC 4.6. On a BBC, the mainfolds are the widest point, at 27"

Also:

LSA CTS-V Engine
http://paceperformance.com/files/content/lsadims.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Its the 2-valve 4.6 L, 5.4 L, and 6.8 L engines found in many 1997–2008 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury. If you get one of those , have inserts instaled in all of the plug holes. Then you use a different longer thread plug.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:

Its the 2-valve 4.6 L, 5.4 L, and 6.8 L engines found in many 1997–2008 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury. If you get one of those , have inserts instaled in all of the plug holes. Then you use a different longer thread plug.

The most troubesome ones were the 5.4's in the trucks.

you know im interested in the build. I just got my car back and im pushing 25lbs of boost while not even on it. its fast but as they say, theres no replacement for displacement.

If i remember i had a 97 cobra with the dohc motor. the head gaskets were LOOT to have redone so i sold it for cheap. i think that was the 4.6l though.

Party Hard, Break Shit.

randalllac wrote:

you know im interested in the build. I just got my car back and im pushing 25lbs of boost while not even on it. its fast but as they say, theres no replacement for displacement.

If i remember i had a 97 cobra with the dohc motor. the head gaskets were LOOT to have redone so i sold it for cheap. i think that was the 4.6l though.

You're running 25lbs of boost in your Lemons merkur?!?!?!

I ran 25 in my street svo. Turbos don't like it much.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

25 (edited by gtopat 2014-08-22 06:00 PM)

Baron wrote:

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTXF12/060-LTXF12-UG.jpg

God damn that's sexy. Is that a fox-4 hydroboost master or just manual brakes?

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!