Re: have there been any major accidents in the races?

I really appreciate the ball-busting attitude to safety.   Before I built
my first cage, I hung around tech inspection at several races (and
bugged the hell out of Evil John) to find out what was good and what
was bad.   As I built the cage, I kept in mind the fact that someone
I cared very much for might depend on it.

As it turned out, my car (the Super Snipe) suffered a roll over at
Chuckwalla, and the cage did its job perfectly.   The driver walked
away with only a mild headache.   The cage was not distorted in
any way, although the car was otherwise ruined.

Ironically, the only reason she was driving was because she was
a last-minute substitute for Mike Harrell, after his unfortunate encounter
with the traffic cone the night before.

So here we have the worst wreck of the race resulting in no injury,
and the worst injury of that race resulting from tripping over a traffic
cone.   Both on the same team.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CaptainCardigan wrote:

...radios add to driver comfort and also reduce cockpit stress, adding to focus.

I've driven one car with a radio (the Super Snipe) and two without (the ZomBee and my own) and found that a radio is more of a distraction than a comfort.

Then again, I also don't have a cell phone, so my standards of comfort in such matters may be atypical.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

The level of distraction depends on how you use it. Our team has a dedicated race controller who knows not to bother the driver unless necessary. Personally, I like having communication with the team. We might need to plan ahead for a change in pit schedule, or the driver might want to report something weird the car is doing so we can decide if a paddock stop is warranted. Hell, I might just want to know my last lap time. Then again, I'm a younger guy with a cell phone and a facebook, and maybe if I don't have a constant stream of information flooding my senses I'll have a nervous breakdown.

That being said, if the reception is bad, it can be very distracting. If I'm out there in traffic, and I hear a radio call that I can't make out because of static, I'm going to worry that it's something important that I missed. Then I'll spend half a lap trying to call back to race control and get them to repeat. After Sebring, we're adding an external antenna to the car.

The radio came in pretty handy at last year's MSR-H race.  I had driven a 7 - 9 stint, a 1 - 3 stint and was in the middle of a who-the-hell-remembers late morning stint when the track went full course caution.

I radioed in, "Anybody heard any good jokes lately?"  Angie did her best to entertain me for a couple minutes while circulating behind SpaceFrank's Dart as it ran full-out under caution.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

I've been know to sing this into the radio while going three wide into a turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp5vyj-pb0w

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

jimbbski wrote:

I think what all these posters are trying to say is that Lemons racing IS RACING but the likely hood of getting hurt or killed while certainly possible is not as likely as most people would think who are not familiar with auto racing. I believe my chances of being involved  in a crash on the track  are less then they would be driving on the Chicago Dan Ryan Expressway in rush hour traffic.

And I seen at lot of accidents on the Dan Ryan over the years.

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

CowDriver wrote:

So here we have the worst wreck of the race resulting in no injury,
and the worst injury of that race resulting from tripping over a traffic
cone.   Both on the same team.

Yay!  Go us!  At least for the first part....

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Racin_G73 wrote:

The radio came in pretty handy at last year's MSR-H race.  I had driven a 7 - 9 stint, a 1 - 3 stint and was in the middle of a who-the-hell-remembers late morning stint when the track went full course caution.

I radioed in, "Anybody heard any good jokes lately?"  Angie did her best to entertain me for a couple minutes while circulating behind SpaceFrank's Dart as it ran full-out under caution.

Haha, yes! That was probably me in the Dart. I don't like to hold up faster cars more than I have to. It's impolite!

The Darts fast laps were often under caution...we didn't have to worry about traffic!

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

jimbbski wrote:

I think what all these posters are trying to say is that Lemons racing IS RACING but the likely hood of getting hurt or killed while certainly possible is not as likely as most people would think who are not familiar with auto racing. I believe my chances of being involved  in a crash on the track  are less then they would be driving on the Chicago Dan Ryan Expressway in rush hour traffic.

Lemons has a much lower chance of getting shot than driving on the Ryan also.  S/F....Ken M

coolhand454 wrote:
jimbbski wrote:

And I seen at lot of accidents on the Dan Ryan over the years.

I know last weekend after being on the Eisenhower for about 5 minutes a volvo almost smashed into me, which was a lot closer to car to car contact than my car had the whole previous weekend on track.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

We got hit pretty hard once, from the side by a car whose brakes had failed, broke the wheel, bent the control arms, bent the rear subframe, mashed in both passenger-side doors, and punted our car off the track. It looked pretty ugly, but the driver was strapped in and wearing a HANS. He walked away from it, a little sore and cranky, but nothing serious. The car needed the corner suspension from a junkyard car, a shock absorber, a wheel, and an aftermarket toe adjuster to compensate for the bent subframe. We still race it. The car that hit us was a mess; I think that it had to be retired permanently, but I think that their driver was also uninjured.

I think that Lemons is pretty good about accidents and safety, mostly because they are quick to black flag any contact or loss of control. It keeps most drivers from getting too aggressive, because nobody wants to sit out for several hours. We raced at another crapcan series last weekend and it was a mess. It rained most of the race and we had a suspension problem that we didn't discover until after the race was over. We had at least four offs and three minor contact incidents and never got flagged; it looked like nobody did. There were a lot of badly smashed up cars in the paddock. I don't recall any injuries though, apparently all that safety stuff works.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Judge Phil wrote:

The most common ER-visit-required injury at Lemons races is the head-sliced-open-on-trailer-door-frame one. Heatstroke/dehydration is also pretty common. On-track injuries aren't common, but they happen often enough that we are total ballbusters about safety gear.

Jay failed us at tech inspection this year at ECR and made us add 2 2" welds to our cage, and we didn't bitch one bit about it.  I will never fault you guys for being  fascists about safety.

Burdizzo wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

The most common ER-visit-required injury at Lemons races is the head-sliced-open-on-trailer-door-frame one. Heatstroke/dehydration is also pretty common. On-track injuries aren't common, but they happen often enough that we are total ballbusters about safety gear.

Jay failed us at tech inspection this year at ECR and made us add 2 2" welds to our cage, and we didn't bitch one bit about it.  I will never fault you guys for being  fascists about safety.

Actually that is one of the good things about the tech inspections, even though our car has been through it a bunch of times, each time they go through it pretty well to verify everything.  If there is something unsafe about my car I would rather find out about it in the pits before the race than on the track while something bad is happening

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:
Burdizzo wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Actually that is one of the good things about the tech inspections, even though our car has been through it a bunch of times, each time they go through it pretty well to verify everything.  If there is something unsafe about my car I would rather find out about it in the pits before the race than on the track while something bad is happening

+1

I took the ambulance ride and got my T-shirt cut off by the paramedics. 

Concussion, amnesia, and hey - I'll just put these here:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/B91471DF-5211-48A7-A365-7658A91D2ED7-79277-00000416B2EAD32D_zpsb957c4a2.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/B8D0FD57-7BF9-4028-8D7C-3E6C67CB6303-79277-00000416B205C6A4_zpse4db9254.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/54592E7B-5D50-41D5-9BB7-13E79D741273-79277-00000416B0A14FE8_zps7b4b2698.jpg

Still have mobility issues with the wrist and fingertip.  hmm

I always race with a Necksgen now and wear arm restraints even though its not required.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

I usually just tell people that there have been more deaths in Lemons than F1 racing over the past 20 years. I then explain the circumstances and the emphasis on safety.

RIP.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

derekste wrote:

I usually just tell people that there have been more deaths in Lemons than F1 racing over the past 20 years. I then explain the circumstances and the emphasis on safety.

RIP.

Technically that has only been accurate as of April 30th of this year; that was the 20th Anniversary of Ratzenberger/Senna.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/54592E7B-5D50-41D5-9BB7-13E79D741273-79277-00000416B0A14FE8_zps7b4b2698.jpg

!

Holy crap, I should've done that last year. All I did was write a disclaimer because I got sick of explaining that I just got in a completely mundane street car wreck:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--z_YTO8Rd--/18yx052ds6qvyjpg.jpg

Street cars are dangerous. I'd have felt safer in the LeMon.