Topic: Thunderhill Test Session

In case you missed the email:

Hey, West Coast Racers:

If you're running Lemons at Thunderhill in September, here's a great chance to learn the track before the main event. If you're not, it's a bunch of track time on a ridiculous 5-mile, 27-turn course for not a lot of dough!

NASA has carved out a 2.5-hour LeMons-specific session on Sunday, August 31 where you can put your car and drivers through their paces. Basically, it's a big open track day with full passing and the whole bit--a dry run for the real race in September. (Thunderhill will probably do its normal Friday test day on the actual race weekend; doing this NASA one will allow you to blow your engine sky-high a couple weeks before the race as opposed to a couple hours before the race.)

NASA is handling all of the registration and scheduling. Lemons teams have the entire West Paddock (the new one) reserved, so you can pull in anytime during the weekend. Exact timing of the track session on the 31st is TBD, and will be sent to all registered teams when it's finalized. The cost per car is $300.27 (in honor of the 27 turns), and you can cycle through as many (or as few) drivers as you'd like. You must pre-register online by following this link: http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1881. Any questions specific to this test day should go directly to NASA's Scott Smith at scott@nasacarcontrol.org.

Cheers,
Nick

I'd love to do this, but don't have a car to take on track...anyone going up for this and want to split some seat time?

Re: Thunderhill Test Session

Will this end up like the Sears Point "Sprint"?
How many side-bets can we make?
how many cars can we blow up in 2.5 hours?

maybe, after a second attempt, NASA will get a better understanding of us.
~hahaahaah~

There is def a anti Lemons bias.. and I didn't help our cause any...

I drove my Lemons car (240 Z ) in a HPDE Group 2 class and was told I scared an instructor who was following me so much I could't move up to Group 3 (more open passing)
I went in 2 so I could be on the track with my 16 year old daughter (future Lemons racer) who was in her level 1 class. They run together. There was no passing on the back at all , and only in the two main straights and from 6-8 on the front side. so when you get behind that slow 911, you can't pass so  I started going "off line" and driving all over the new track to check out all the "off line" looks  from over all the blind corners... The instructor riding with the guy in a spec Miata on my tail, who can't pass, but still rode my ass, was freaked out because I was driving all over the track.. He told my group leader he was afraid of me..

I laughed and told my group leader I didn't blame the guy as he had no way of knowing I was scouting the "Lemons line" and though I was a menace to the other NASA drivers..On a positive note, my instructor understood that I was scouting for Lemons and got why was all over the course....

The best part, passing a 911, a new Corvette and an Audi R8 in a $500 car. 

The second best part, having the NASA instructor tell these high HP cars that were complaining about being pushed through all the corners to get out of the way..  He told them if a guy pushing you through all the corners, he is faster than you! If you open it up in the straight and don't let him pass, the guy is going to be on your tail again so let him by...

Scion XB Toaster
71 Datsun Z

Yeah... it was interesting.
Our team had a great time in the West Paddock, joining the rest of the red-headed step-cousins.

Let me see - how many tows did we have in 2.5 hours? I never saw one, but I was on track the first 1:15 - oh, wait, then none that were tows from on track.
How many did NASA have in the hour and a half we were there before our session? some, if not a few.

How much contact did we have? I heard of one hit, a minor rear quarter contact (presumably a missed brake point?)
How much did NASA have in that same prior 1.5hr? One at least that was heavy enough to run two trucks high-tailing it out of our paddock, plus the support vehicle, horns honking.

I witnessed two cars off for BF's - One must have ha something to do with a large cloud of dust I saw. The in-car showed another at Start-finish, so I couldn't say how many BF"s we had, but it seemed few, considering a bunch of us were there to find the edges of the new track   :-)
Granted, we had only about 30 cars and were told by the Evil one to play nice.
Oh, wait - NASA sessions don't usually run 30 cars.

I guess we need to crash into tow vehicles, pace cars and each other more often in order to be taken seriously.

But it WAS a great time, sorry a bunch of you missed it!

In the parade laps I saw one car broke down, but the rest of the session I drove everyone behaved.

I got a chance to learn the track.

I saw a ton of HPDE NASA cars wrecked and towed off the track. And when Lemons cars took the track it was filled with debris, especially the transition from the old track to the new track.

I felt like the tech inspector for our car and a friend of ours felt like he could pocket any money he could extort from our teams. First off that got my goat was  charging 1$ for a tech sticker, after we paid $300.27 to drive on the track, really. Then he wanted us to bribe him because there was oil residue on our engine, which has passed Lemons tech something like 16 times.

NASA charged a late entry to another team who we always pit next to another (I get they stepped on it and were late) $100, then they get charged another $10 for a tech sheet because they arrived on Sunday and obviously did not receive the email to print out and have a sheet under their windshield wipers (which they had removed and got more $hit for). Then I watched the same tech inspector take another $5 from them because they had duct tape on their windshield and he could not see if it was cracked, but if you looked from the interior of the car you could clearly see the windshield was intact. All of this left a bad taste in my mouth as to whether or not I would consider participation in another NASA event.

We did not pay NASA to be shaken down in Lemons bribe style, if we knew what we were getting into I would of obliged - for a proper stencil of course.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Bribe-man-Joe, the wanna-be Lemons BS inspector...

bah-da-da-dah-da-dah, dah--do-twang... (looking fo' the swamp, the banjo and the F-150)
We just ignored him and he went away.

~ but then our tech took three times longer than yours, and three or maybe four different inspectors.
They made everyone except us fire up and over-rev to prove the engine wouldn't blow up (I think under the guise of sound limits)
- and I don't think we had to jack ours up to inspect for rodents underneath, either.
I fell asleep waiting for them to remember we were still in the front of the line, waiting.

In reference to the shake down

I was totally willing to pay the $100 at track fee, however did I really need to be at the track at 8:00 to fill out a sheet of paper that could easy given via email ? The added 10.00 for a tech sheet that I couldn't print was kind of B.S. the last straw for me was the 5.00 for not having it on the windshield vs handing it to the tech guy.

I / we needed to run the car to break in a rebuilt motor so I just stood there and took my lumps like a man, however that will me the last 15 bucks NASA ever gets from me.

The overall experience was poor at best. Like I said I understood the late entry (Wednesday) and the added fee.( BTW was there a deadline to enter posted anywhere ? If so I didn't see it.)  I just didn't appreciate the over all attitude and bending over I got from the top down. I mean all this for 2.5 hours of a test session please.

Instead of giving us (Lemons racers) some respect they shook all of us down and treated us like second class racers, and in doing so costing themselves future customers.

Well at least one in my case.

Jimmy
Mutterfokker Motorsport - # 144

Im glad I did the entire weekend under the HPDE experience, I got the pink sticker for tech Saturday didn't have to go through Lemons tech.

I think NASA thought they were doing us a favor and, they had no real plan to do tech, The tech guys didn't even know they were doing Lemons tech until the first car rolled through. I was waiting a long time in line, walked over and saw the cluster @#%$, saw you guys getting the same pink sticker i already had, and went and drove in my next session...  I did get my car weighed that was a bonus..

Still my guess is the laps were worth the pain and price of admission.

Scion XB Toaster
71 Datsun Z

crazymike wrote:

Bribe-man-Joe, the wanna-be Lemons BS inspector...

He tried to hit me up for $10 for a track map....I told him to go f**k himself......

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

10 (edited by rodknox2 2014-09-02 05:49 PM)

If you didn't have your tech sheet taped to the windshield=$5
wtf
If you didn't bring a jack...more money
wtf
Then it was $1 for tech sticker...all I had was a $20 bill...he had no change...I did have 3 quarters...he took that....
wtf
pretty sad affair

I did enjoy the drivers meeting.  The NASA guy said they didn't care if we ran off course.  Just didn't care.  He, also, didn't care if we had minor contact.  It's no big deal.  It kind of lifted the mood, for me at least.

11 (edited by kornfeld 2014-09-02 08:25 PM)

Well then.  I guess I'm glad I didn't go!  Back to freehand drawing the track while watching youtube videos of people racing on it.  Works pretty well for memorizing things. :shrug:

It looks like I might finally be springing for Friday practice. Then again, I never practiced for Buttonwillow or Sears Point and I survived.

Hey All,

Just FYI, I brought this thread to the attention of the NorCal regional head of NASA.  I figured enough people were complaining that maybe somebody over there might care about how their personnel are behaving.

I won't go into details, but I will tell you that I got a very sincere response, and they do care.

Hopefully this is just a case of some NASA tech guy reading about Lemons, and bribes, and thinking it's just something we do.

At any rate, I'd urge you to not write them off just yet.  In fact, based on the short back and forth I had, I'm thinking of joining!

bs

14 (edited by kornfeld 2014-09-03 12:26 PM)

Thought I'd pass these on.  First link is a turn-by-turn walk through the course with some things to look out for; second is a video with more than one car on course.  It was good to be able to see a car on the track from behind, as opposed to first person.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69917

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gGFQ73QA78

Might as well get used to seeing this........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … Lf-h4FIzW8

Not me,no affiliation,etc....just found it and thought I'd share.....

Mike

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Hey guys--I was just alerted to this by NASA boss Jerry Kunzman. Like Jay and myself, Jerry was not present at the Thunderhill test, so he's just now finding out bits and pieces of info. Put simply, he's not happy with the way this went down--his note explains that he's taking this matter very seriously and will have an explanation within the next couple of days.

To give NASA the benefit of the doubt, the satirical nature of the Lemons "bribe" system is easily misunderstood. We regularly get new competitors thinking that you can get away with not having a roll cage if you bring a bottle of whiskey. So, from the race-organizer side, it's easy to think that Lemons guys are a target for easy shakedowns. The NASA guys were probably told to have fun with the whole "bribe" process and simply overstepped their bounds when they decided to actually extort money from you guys.

Anyway, Lemons and NASA sincerely apologize for anyone who was offended by this--like I said, Jerry is still gathering info and will likely issue a statement to you directly once he's got all the info.

In the meantime, if y'all could do me a favor--I don't know if there are any other threads/mentions of this issue on the forums--if there are, please pop a link to this thread in those discussions, just so everyone gets a chance to see this post.

Thanks much,

Nick

Well, that was quick--here's the letter from Jerry:

Hello Lemons Drivers,

I received some very disturbing news about the Lemons / NASA test day last Sunday.  I heard numerous things happened  like our tech crew and maybe other officials taking bribes and extorting money from you guys.  I haven’t finished my investigation to get every last detail, so after you read this, you have any more helpful info, I would appreciate it.

The reports started with an online thread which I forwarded to my top people.  Several of my top guys called to me rat out the fink that instigated this.  Scott Smith, my Nor Cal Manager is the culprit.  He’s out in the boonies right now so I can’t confirm everything until Monday.  However, I have the story from multiple independent reliable sources, that all match up.  So, I am pretty sure I figured out what happened.

Scott Smith is an excellent employee, running two businesses and one charity for me.  He’s a self-starter and go-getter that has really taken ownership in his positions.  This enthusiasm leads to vast improvements along the way.  The downside is that he sometimes oversteps his bounds.  The charity we run is a 501c3 non-profit to teach teens car control skills.  Not one person is paid as it’s truly a labor of love.  Scott runs theses schools for the non-profit corp and does so with a passion, as he has his own personal tragic story.  When we started up this charity, and to this day, we make sure every time we fine someone in NASA the money all goes to the charity.  When we collect wristband money and other small amounts, it goes into the charity.  We often times guilt our our drivers into coughing up to support this worthwhile cause.

As best I can figure, Scott took it upon himself to engineer a shakedown plan to get some bucks from the Lemons drivers.  He instructed our tech guys and other officials to “get some donations, and have fun with it.  Take bribes (in cash, cookies, beer, etc) and use excuses to try to get a few bucks from everyone.”  It was supposed to be a fun way to generate some more money for the teen school.  Also as far as I can tell no real safety issues were compromised and the bribes were taken for a novel cause.  Note- things like cookies, beer, etc. was meant as a joke, but if anyone donated that, this kind of stuff always goes to the worker party at the end of the day.

However, just because this is what happened, doesn’t make it right at all.  While our NASA guys know all about the teen school and go along with some arm twisting, this was something completely unauthorized and unknown to me.  It’s unacceptable, and I humbly apprize to all Jay Lamm and all Lemons drivers in attendance.  Scott was in no way authorized to implement a program like this, good fun, or not.

I beg those effected to forgive me; this is ultimately my fault.  I am responsible.  I also would beg anyone that was mistreated, shakedown, and/or otherwise forced to make bribes to come to me with anything they would like to add, as well as the amount they are out.  I will make sure they get every penny back in overnight checks.

At NASA we screw up sometimes.  This was by far one of the biggest ever and I can’t tell you guys how sorry I am.

Sincerely,

Jerry Kunzman
Nor Cal Regional Director

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

to all Jay Lamm and all Lemons drivers in attendance

You mean there's more than one of him?!

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Also I will go out and say that if you would have made it known that donations were for a charity and a good cause you may have actually ended up with more money from teams donating instead and going back to our Lemons bribing ways.  The feeling that we are being shook down cause someone wants to pocket the money I can see also making the Lemons teams angry, fake bribing for something we support though we tend to be more than happy to do.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Our new found friends need to know the difference between bribery and extortion.

21 (edited by Spank 2014-09-04 08:35 PM)

I hope the hear of teams asking for a check to be mailed to them so that the message gets across loud and clear. Send it back later as a donation, but just reading about this made my temperature rise. Don't let the ends justify the means.

For newbies who happen to stumble on this thread at some point: It's also worth of note that safety tech people don't/won't accept bribes. Lemons and their safety staff have made a concerted effort to not touch anything they are offered when they are acting as a safety inspector so as not to cause this very confusion. The BS inspection, however, is a completely different deal. Bribe away for your classing and BS laps.

Spank wrote:

I hope the hear of teams asking for a check to be mailed to them so that the message gets across loud and clear. Send it back later as a donation, but just reading about this made my temperature rise. Don't let the ends justify the means.

For newbies who happen to stumble on this thread at some point: It's also worth of note that safety tech people don't/won't accept bribes. Lemons and their safety staff have made a concerted effort to not touch anything they are offered when they are acting as a safety inspector so as not to cause this very confusion. The BS inspection, however, is a completely different deal. Bribe away for your classing and BS laps.

Awe, not sure I'd be demanding my money back, in fact I will probably contact them and offer a donation - the right way.

As for tech people not accepting bribes, at our first event, Stafford 2008, we were completely clueless (now we're only partially clueless).  Showed up in the tech/bs building, handed some guy a bottle of Gray Goose, which he gratefully accepted, and then got tech'd by that same guy.  Then we discovered that BS inspection was our next stop, and that we'd just given away our bribe to the tech guy.

For the record, the tech guy was a local, who probably didn't know any better than we did, and it didn't affect the outcome of the inspection.

bs

"our" experience was more that the guy was trying to be in the lemony spirit - but failing in that he had not been to one of our event to know how to do it - it could-have been a great thing, but fell 100% flat, if not more.

"we" would gladly have brought hooch for the workers after-hour and donations for a charity if we'd been alerted early enough even to stop at Wally world in Willows. As it was a test day we didn't have anything at all in the trunk - in fact had taken all the usual stuff out to simplify what we figured would be a cluster for tech.

So - I can speak for the teams I was hangin' with, no offense was taken, and I'm sorry to hear it got out of hand for others.

As for doing it again? our teams grumbled about the price - a touch high, but if it were groundhog day, we'd repeat. $200 would be more palatable - and probably would have doubled the Lemons attendance.

Hope my feedback is of value to someone...