Topic: PCM/Fuel Injection Wiring How-To Resources?

The Prix Mature Racing [we finish first!] bad idea supercharged GM 3.8 V6 engine swap into1st generation Miata continues at break-toothpick speed.
And it's time to get down to wiring.
The engine harness is complete and on the motor, and I've got the PCM, etc.
Anyone have any web or print recommended resources for wiring this thing up to like race car switches and stuff?
Assume I'm absolutely a leg-dragging, mouth-breathing dullard.

Thanks!

Re: PCM/Fuel Injection Wiring How-To Resources?

Did you get the Power Distribution box?
That's the easiest place to deal with alternator, fuel pump, and starter circuits.
The PCM usually has its own sensors, and factory gauges have dedicated senders.
Post year, make and model and all see if I can get you wiring and PCM pin diagrams.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Got the power distribution box. 96 Buick Riviera 3.8 supercharged.

Does the harness have a blue connector or a clear connector?

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I think it is blue, but I will have to check it out at the shop tomorrow to make sure. Let's go with blue for now.

El_Macho wrote:

The Prix Mature Racing bad idea supercharged GM 3.8 V6 engine swap into1st generation Miata continues

I have 2 questions ....

Where in the hell in Concord are you?

Do you want help with the build?

This sounds like a really bad idea,and as such,I'd like to be a part of it.....

Mike

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

7 (edited by pjag 2014-09-03 04:51 AM)

You need to talk to Dave Morrow. He did the SC 3.8 Gremlin. I think he has a shop in New York. Maybe someone knows how to contact him.

Not sure of the earlier models ( I am well versed in the series(2) of 97-99, 95-96 were series 1 and odd) but if it were a 97-99 security would be a big issue, if memory serves the VATS box was under the rear package tray by the right speaker, a compatible  resistor could be easily wired in to replace the chip key IF the system were complete, unfortunately it likely will not be.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

9 (edited by jrbe 2014-09-03 02:50 PM)

If you email me so I have your email address I'll send you the alldata wiring diagrams in jpgs or maybe pdfs.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

El_Macho I'm sure I can walk you through it (I helped one of the guys from 3pm) If you can follow directions to tee you will only need to hook up 3 wires at the pcm to get it to run, email me through the forum so I get your email and also give me your phone number.

It Ain't My Fault

BigBird wrote:
El_Macho wrote:

The Prix Mature Racing bad idea supercharged GM 3.8 V6 engine swap into1st generation Miata continues

I have 2 questions ....

Where in the hell in Concord are you?

Do you want help with the build?

This sounds like a really bad idea,and as such,I'd like to be a part of it.....

Mike

I'm up the hill toward Clayton a bit. And for sure, man. I'm new to the area. Email me and we'll go from there.

And thanks for the resources and responses, all. I think I've got it figured out, but will be in touch, Dave, if things go wrong.

What are you doing for a transmission in this terrible idea?

Using the bell housing and T5 transmission from a 98 Camaro. The Camaros of that era had the same 3.8 L V6 in naturally aspirated form as their base engine. The bell housing, transmission, etc. bolt right up.

Does the flywheel have the same balance? I did a Buick conversion from automatic to manual and it was tricky. Granted it's an old rear wheel drive V6, so your situation may be different. Something you should double check anyway.

TKing66 wrote:

Does the flywheel have the same balance? I did a Buick conversion from automatic to manual and it was tricky. Granted it's an old rear wheel drive V6, so your situation may be different. Something you should double check anyway.

I agree with this recommendation. On the ford side, the 3.8L V6 N/A used a 40oz imbalance while the 3.8L SC engine used a neutrally balanced flywheel (all except the first half year of SC models).

Near as I understand it, the neutrally balance setup costs more in mfg costs and it was therefore decided to reserve it for the higher perf, SC engines. I wouldn't be surprised if Buick did the same thing.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:
TKing66 wrote:

I agree with this recommendation. On the ford side, the 3.8L V6 N/A used a 40oz imbalance while the 3.8L SC engine used a neutrally balanced flywheel (all except the first half year of SC models).

Near as I understand it, the neutrally balance setup costs more in mfg costs and it was therefore decided to reserve it for the higher perf, SC engines. I wouldn't be surprised if Buick did the same thing.

-g

Wow, that sounds a lot like the Buick.  "All even fire Buick 3.8L engines are internally balanced.  Except for the ones that aren't.  Best of luck"

Mine was not, and it was a tooth chipper with a neutral flywheel.

The balance issue is very worthwhile. I am getting the Camaro flywheel mirror balanced to the flexplate that was on the motor before.

El_Macho wrote:

Email me and we'll go from there.

Are you going to Thunder Hill?

Yes, but the car won't be done in time. I've got a seat with the Pinewood Dirtbags.

El_Macho wrote:

Yes, but the car won't be done in time. I've got a seat with the Pinewood Dirtbags.

I'll be with the Panting Polar Bears..Look for the Race Rambler and Crown Vic
Or I'll find the Dirtbags...

Either way,I'll see you on Friday

Mike

El_Macho wrote:

Stop over at the Poorolator pit if you get a chance (and can find us in the packed paddock). We can talk About the magic of the GM V6.