Re: engines for the K

Yeah, he sent me the paperwork.  It was supposed to be picked up yesterday, but they still haven't called.

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

MasterShake wrote:

I've got a couple extra parts you could use.  Like an oil pan w/o a hole in it.   That may make the exchange easier.

Funniest thing on the internet today.

This space for rent.

Bayley wrote:

Any 6G7[X] engine will bolt up to that 5 speed:

3.0L
2000–2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse
1999–2003 Mitsubishi Galant

3.5L
1993–present Mitsubishi Montero/Shogun
1997–2004 Mitsubishi Diamante

3.8L
2003–present Mitsubishi Montero
2004–2009 Mitsubishi Galant
2006–2012 Mitsubishi Eclipse

When I was calling around shopping for JDM motors (don't bother, they're too expensive), I heard that the 6G72 for RWD applications was not a direct swap. That would count out the Montero. I also seem to recall reading on a forum somewhere that the direction of rotation changed some time around 2000, but this could have been a load of BS for all I know.

I have an extra SOHC 3.0L from a Dodge Stealth that I'm trying to get out of my garage. Free if you come get it from Austin. Free wiring harness and ECU. I want it gone.

I'd love to, but that's a long ways from me.

chevette wrote:

If the K-Car is going to Gator-O-Rama I can deliver it there, I just want to know it'll be out of my garage at some point.

He's in Ohio so that is a pretty long haul, even for free stuff.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

chevette wrote:

I'm going to be driving from Austin to BFE in September if that helps?

Toni

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

cabinboy wrote:

He's in Ohio so that is a pretty long haul, even for free stuff.

I'm actually going to be driving a Jeep Cherokee from Austin to Detroit in a couple weeks. I could theoretically drop it off in Ohio or meet you somewhere not too far out of my way. I'm not sure if I'll have time between when I get off this oil rig I'm on now and when I have to leave for Michigan to really organize that though. If you really want it we might be able to work something out. Full disclosure, the previous owner says it is missing some main bearing cap nuts that they scavenged for the DOHC engine that is currently in the car.

We are on the western side of the state, between Cincinnati and Dayton.  Right off I-75.  Don't go out of your way, but if it could be done, that'd be awesome.

chevette wrote:

We are on the western side of the state, between Cincinnati and Dayton.  Right off I-75.  Don't go out of your way, but if it could be done, that'd be awesome.

From checking google maps, yep I'll be taking I-75 through Cincinnati and Dayton all the way to Detroit. It'll really depend on when I get off this rig and how easily I can borrow a hoist to get it into the back of the car.

The 75 exit in Monroe,Ohio is 10 minutes from my house, and my teammate lives just 1 exit south.  If you have time, that'd be awesome.  If not, I totally get it.

I'll be able to let you know probably on the 19th, if I can then I would probably deliver it on the 21st.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/Randy_Clark/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/IMG_20140811_213953883_zpszsag391e.jpgits finally in the car hole.

Looks like the flux capacitor has already been installed ...

TTFN
Toni

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

EEEEEXCELLENT.

Also, needs MOAR GLITTER!

chevette wrote:

The 75 exit in Monroe,Ohio is 10 minutes from my house, and my teammate lives just 1 exit south.  If you have time, that'd be awesome.  If not, I totally get it.

Shit I'm really sorry, I wasn't able to get my hands on a hoist in the brief time I was home, so I won't be able to deliver the engine. I can give it to TeamRadicus to take to BFE if you guys are going there, otherwise I'm sorry for getting your hopes up.

Don't worry about it.  No big deal.  I appreciate the offer.

Why not rebuild one of the lumps you buy instead of just throwing it in as it leaves the junkyard?

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

LowFlyin wrote:

Why not rebuild one of the lumps you buy instead of just throwing it in as it leaves the junkyard?

because the k car disappoints no matter how much time/money you throw at it.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

I think it's time for a nice, reliable 914 swap.

{ evil cackling }

Pinto motor for the win!

TheFord Probe/Mazda MX6 engine makes our 67 Austin Landcrab haul ass, sorta.... It is the most reliable part of the car...

Silversleeves Racing
Austin Mini #42 | John Lemmons Wolseley Hornet
Austin 1800 #49  V6 Landcrab - Organizer's Choice PNW2013 | Class C Winner 2015
Barbie's Corvette #44 - Organizer's Choice PNW2014

OK, I have access to a complete 3.3 and complete wiring harness out of a van with an auto. Will this still work with the manual trans, or am I gonna need an ecm?

chevette wrote:

OK, I have access to a complete 3.3 and complete wiring harness out of a van with an auto. Will this still work with the manual trans, or am I gonna need an ecm?

You may be diving into uncharted territory with that one.
As far as I can tell, the 3.3 was never offered with a manual trans, since it mostly saw use the the minivans and bigger C body cars (Dynasty and New Yorker). However, it seems to be possible to mate a 3.3 to the A543 5 speed transmission, wether or not that's what the K uses I couldn't tell (Chrysler used two other 5 speeds during this period of time).

Now, the 3.3 would have originally came with an Ultadrive A604/41TE, which is an electrically controlled 4 speed auto, (unless it was an AWD minivan). It sounds rather complex an may possibly be connected to the ECU?

Allpar.com wrote:

Instead of using a separate speed sensor, the transaxle’s output shaft speed signal is converted by the transmission computer into a speed signal, used for the speedometer, odometer, and engine controller; that simplifies wiring and making the speedometer and odometer highly accurate and more reliable. The setup can adjust for variations in gearing and tires — dealers can change the constant in the system memory.

Go luck!

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.