Topic: fuel consumption...

How much fuel does the average 4cyl use per hour at NH?

Re: fuel consumption...

For most non turbo 4cyl engines you would be good to budget 6-8gph.

We run a Neon and use 4-5 gals an hour, depending on the driver.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

For most non turbo 4cyl engines you would be good to budget 6-8gph.

that high for a non-turbo? We're nicely around 5gph running 5-6psi. More when the boost is higher. I would expect non-turbo cars to be less.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

It is for sure on the high side. I was surprised how much fuel one of the teams running a Honda burned at CMP. They were running 7-8gph with no turbo and we were running under 5gph on a 2.0l dodge.

I figured a budget on the higher side would be safer than being too low since they didn't include any car info.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

I figured a budget on the higher side would be safer than being too low since they didn't include any car info.

that's probably a good plan for a new team. I was just surprised at the estimate. I'm also curious what the honda engines do to consume that much.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I know as my team starting driving better we used more gas.

Then we started driving even moar betterer and used LESS gas than ever before.

The data said we were overslowing and thus using more fuel to accelerate.

That being said, when we started we had a spread of 2 to 3 GPH between the different drivers.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

Car driver and track all make a big difference so it is hard to say without knowing all of those. Money wise its always better to estimate high, with a 2 day event you only really need to make sure you have enough gas for day 1, after you see what you went through for that day you can work out how much gas you'll need to buy for day 2.   No one on the team is ever upset if you have to spend less on gas, taking a collection because you didn't budget enough before hand can be a problem.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Our Saturn S-series reliably burns 4-4.4 gallons per hour everywhere but Road American in the Midwest (so, um, Gingerman and Autobahn).  One more agressive team claims 4.7 Gallons per hours.  Light car, small motor and overall power limited port size, not intake or exhaust size.

Our 2.0L FS-DE powered 626 w/5 speed burns about 4.5 to 5.5 gallons an hour depending on how much we are revving the engine.  When consistently shifting at 5K rpm, we burn around 4.5 gallons an hour.  When shifting at 5500 to 5800 rpm, we burn 5+ gallons an hour.

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

It depends on a lot of factors, whos driving, track, temperature, etc. 

Our Fox has lasted 3 hours on 10 gallons, sometimes it barely makes 2 hours on 10 gallons.  Yeah it swings that much.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

dunno why, but when we blaze by at warp speed, we are doing 12-15GPH. It was half that when we were slower. (4.0lv8)

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.