Topic: Wrenching and Racing Tips and Tricks

Post your tips and tricks for wrenching and building Lemons cars, and race car driving and race/pit strategy.

I'll start.

3M strip caulk is a black gummy sealant you can use to hold parts in place for assembly. Say you have a bolt where you can't get you hand in and you don't have a magnetic wobbly socket. Or a stainless screw that won't work with a magnetic screw driver.  Just put some strip caulk in the socket or on the screwdriver tip and it will hold the bolt or screw while you get it started.

Or say you have a stack of washers you are using as a spacer in an upside down location and you can't hold them in position while you start the bolt. Just smear some strip caulk on the washers and they will stick where you put them.

Strip caulk can also be used to measure clearances in enclosed spaces. Like how close is the hood to the air cleaner, or even piston to valve clearance. Just paste a piece on one part and put some talcum powder on the other part so it only sticks to one part. Assemble the parts and then disassemble and measure the compressed strip caulk.

Also small light weight plastic covers that click into position with little tabs. Like a battery cover door.  If the little tabs break just put a dab of strip caulk and it will hold the cover.

Re: Wrenching and Racing Tips and Tricks

Store your partial used tubes of Permatex (and other RTVs, Silicone, Glues, etc) in double plastic zip lock bags. Squeeze the air out. The stuff under the cap will never again harden up and you won't have to use a screw driver to get if flowing again.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Can't find that annoying oil leak?  Connect one end of the hose of your shop vac to the vac outlet.  Duct tape the other end of the shop vac to the dipstick tube.  Tape off 90% of the suction side of the shop vac (to prevent over-pressurization).  This will slightly pressurize the crankcase so you can use soap bubbles to find the source of the leak.

Go out of your way to help other teams.  No skills or tools?  Give gas, food, whatever.   It creates good Karma that will save your ass later.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Oh, and while tires are crazy expense that it seems like a way to shave money to stay in a budget don't do it.  Get good tires, it is worth it to be more competitive and stay on the track.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

The best place to keep your to-do list is on your car. Literally on the car where it can't be lost -- use a Sharpie to make a list right on the bodywork.
If your hooptie is too dark for it to show up on, hit the inside of a body panel (door panel works great, or hood or trunk) with white spray paint to give you a place to write.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

cpchampion wrote:

The best place to keep your to-do list is on your car. Literally on the car where it can't be lost -- use a Sharpie to make a list right on the bodywork.
If your hooptie is too dark for it to show up on, hit the inside of a body panel (door panel works great, or hood or trunk) with white spray paint to give you a place to write.

I use the Windshield.  Get a paint marker for a craft store.  Also reminds you to clean the windshield before the race.

Mock Grass Racing                                                                     Slower Traffic, Keep Right
2017 - Introduction of the Kia Amanti; 2016 - Killed the Car at WRL
2015 - 4 Races, finished all; 2014 - Barber, Blew 2 Engines; CMP, Class C winner
2013 - CMP, Blew engine; CMP, Engine Overheated 2012 - CMP, FInished; CMP, Blew Engine

Screw head rounding out? Use a cordless electric drill, with the clutch on the lowest setting. Press the bit firmly into the screw and hold the trigger down.  The cluch will slip. Using your other hand, slowly dial up the clutch torque one click at a time, until the screw starts turning. 

If that doesn't work, a dab of valve-lapping compound on the tip of a screwdriver bit and a speed handle are also useful.

We like to put a tarp down in the paddock, using tent stakes, to park the car on. Makes it a little easier to get under the car, and a little easier to find the damned nut you just dropped.

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner

cpchampion wrote:

Second. We had a sheet of paper held under the windshield wiper. An 8.5 x 11 piece of paper fills up quickly, but other paper sizes are available in other markets.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

bolt head in a bad spot??

sockets universal joint keeps flopping over?

Wrap u-joint in electrical tape and it will hold its position.

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

ballpeen wrote:

If that doesn't work, a dab of valve-lapping compound on the tip of a screwdriver bit and a speed handle are also useful.

We like to put a tarp down in the paddock, using tent stakes, to park the car on. Makes it a little easier to get under the car, and a little easier to find the damned nut you just dropped.

No valve lapping compound because you do not own a model T, use aluminum foil.

We always plan to bring 3 sheets of 3/8" OSB to put under the car...and we always forget.  Would make securing the ezup so much easier.

bacon solves nearly every problem. always.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

tSoG wrote:

+100

Butt Sweat & Beers.

tSoG wrote:

When bacon does not, beer will.

Hockey pucks make great hydraulic engine and transmission mount replacements. Buy them online for $8/doz.
Drill the center the correct bolt diameter, stack them as tall as you need and bolt them in place.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Carpet scraps/remnants.

A 4' wide roll makes a much more comfortable surface to lie on than asphalt or gravel.

Use it under the engine compartment when pressure washing.   It catches lots of the
greasy globs and keeps your driveway clean.  Deep pile or shag works best here.

Small pieces catch the drips from engine, transmission, rear end, etc.

Use it instead of a metal catch pan when refueling at the track.   Easier to use and
there is less spillage.   Just roll up and put in trash can on Sunday.

A 30" wide roll will protect the top of your folding tables and keep parts & tools from
rolling off.   Use short-pile carpet here.

A carpet installation company will be happy to give you pieces they took out of
a house that just got new carpet.   I found a carpet supplier that sells new remnants
at really cheap prices ($4 for a 4' x 6' roll).

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:

Carpet scraps/remnants.

Use it instead of a metal catch pan when refueling at the track.   Easier to use and

A fuel soaked nylon carpet will also make a nice fire starter for your paddock car-b-que.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:
CowDriver wrote:

Carpet scraps/remnants.

A fuel soaked nylon carpet will also make a nice fire starter for your paddock car-b-que.

No more so than a pan of liquid gasoline.   It will also evaporate faster, due to the
vastly larger surface area.   Also much less chance of spilling on the asphalt, which
the track management hates.   Of course, the best solution is to not be so
sloppy when refueling.

Strange, I didn't see any pans of liquid gasoline in the paddock.  I suppose most teams pour their accidents into a more suitable container, then walk it to the disposal.

Hard to do that with a carpet.

riding the space unicorn

We write the to-do list on the windshield with a sharpie, and tape a sheet of paper behind it so we can read it. Gets washed off before racing.

The standard pre-race & pit checks get written on the hood to stay so all eyes can see/contribute.

Any numbers I need to remember (head torque, valve clearance/sequence, fan belt # etc) get written under the hood for quick reference. Even stuff I know by heart, so Mr-know-it-all yappy guy does not throw me off while in a rush.

Tire pressures are written next to each wheel, so anyone can have at it. I do mine in cold pressures so it can be a morning check (to give that yappy guy something to keep busy with).

Kerosene makes an utterly fantastic parts cleaner.

A small convex mirror placed inside so the driver can see/check/reassure himself or his gear is one of the smartest things I've done. The driver can find his camelback mouthpiece or whatever else that would be out of sight with the helmet on.

Ziplock baggie all the hardware from each piece you take off the car in separate bags together. Helps you to remember which bits went where and how many/sizes of bolts were associated even if you don't write it down. Cuts down on the mysterious wrong size bolt syndrome.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Take pictures of things like wiring harnesses, and belt and hose routing BEFORE you disassemble everything.  S/F....Ken M

Sparky Pete wrote:

Ziplock baggie all the hardware from each piece you take off the car in separate bags together. Helps you to remember which bits went where and how many/sizes of bolts were associated even if you don't write it down. Cuts down on the mysterious wrong size bolt syndrome.

I add the cardboard egg containers to #1, #2, etc in order when doing a motor rebuild.  Saved my bacon once when the rebuild project for next weekend ending up 3 months later,

New processes you have never done before.,..have yappy guy, a hanger on or someone take digital photo of each major step with a focus on what goes back where.  You would think it is obvious but you really can put a brake line on backwards on a on Saturn.

Sparky Pete wrote:

Any numbers I need to remember (head torque, valve clearance/sequence, fan belt # etc) get written under the hood for quick reference.

I wrote the Gates part numbers for the radiator hoses on the hoses (with silver Sharpie) so we know exactly what to send the guy to the parts store to get.   Likewise for fuel filters, etc.   The build notebook (actually a collection of random papers, notecards, etc.) has all of this, but it is faster to just write it on or near the part.

Sparky Pete wrote:

Kerosene makes an utterly fantastic parts cleaner.

How does it compare with paint thinner?

Sparky Pete wrote:

Ziplock baggie all the hardware from each piece you take off the car in separate bags together.

I did that with the two Super Snipes and it saved my sanity (well, somewhat).   Just remember to label each bag with a Sharpie.

When stripping both Super Snipe engines to get enough good parts to make one engine, I made little (1" square) tags of stainless steel shim stock (about .010") with a small hole punched in them.   I then stamped identifying information on each one and attached it to the part with fine steel wire.   Then I could dump the whole lot in a bucket of  degreaser or solvent without getting them mixed up.

If you pre-make a bunch of tags with "L" & "R", numbers from 1 to n (as appropriate for your engine), "Front" & "Rear", etc., it makes things go much faster.

Build in redundancy, when we put lights on for the first time we put the spots on one circuit and the apex LEDs on another so if we lost one we still had the other or if we were called in for too bright we could switch one set off and still race. We also had a second relay mounted beside the first one for both circuits so that if we had a fault we can quickly swap to the second relay.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019