Topic: Something for all you closet British Leyland freaks.

I thought I'd share this in case any of the more adventurous Lemon's lunatics are interested:

MotorPunk is pleased to announce a rather important event. “Harris Mann(k)* to Casablanca” is a one-way roadtrip to the dark continent solely for cars designed by the notorious British Leyland designer, Harris Mann. A peruse of his Wikipedia page will tell you that Mr Mann drew some of BL’s least loved creations including the Allegro, Maestro, TR7, Princess and Metro, amongst others. Now, laying the blame for these automotive horrors squarely at the feet of Harris Mann is perhaps a little unkind, as Mann himself explains; “When I look back on my career, it’s been fun. It’s such a pity it ran through such a period of discontent at BL.” These models are best known for their unreliability rather than their design flaws and perhaps time has looked unfavourably on them. Examples of these cars can now be bought, taxed and tested, for less than a set of Chinese tyres. For this trip we have bought this Metro for £300. We may have paid too much. It has a 4 speed manual gearbox and a 1.1 litre engine that hasn't seen a spanner in a decade. BL geeks will note the sagging front hydragas suspension.

http://www.motorpunk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IMG_4809.jpg

The experiment; Manufacturers use rallying to test the robustness of their design and Formula 1 is considered the pinnacle of motorsport’s technical development, so in the spirit of that MotorPunk cordially invites you to join them on this unique roadtrip.

We will drive from Cowley (UK) to Casablanca (Morocco) to put examples of Harris Mann’s mankiest motors to the test. A rally to Morocco will prove the reliability of these models and a hot lap of the 1958 Casablanca Grand Prix circuit will test their ultimate performance. There will be fun and games along the way as you might expect. Anyone who might become emotionally attached to their Longbridge lovely is free to drive it back to blighty but we’ll be scrapping ours in Gibraltar and Easyjetting home, assuming the cars get that far.

If participants get lost, killed or otherwise inconvenienced they should call the British Embassy or their Mum because we’ll have enough on our hands with our recently acquired Metro to be able to provide you with any assistance. There will photos and videos taken and the results of this unique roadtrip/experiment published on MotorPunk and elsewhere to share with the world. We have a Rover Metro 1.1, an Austin Maestro and a Rover 216i automatic already and welcome anyone else who speaks foreign, can fix things or owns a pith helmet and a rifle.

Interested?

Details here > http://www.motorpunk.co.uk/carclub-18-3 … asablanca/ and here > https://www.facebook.com/groups/1476585719254246/

* Mank (UK, slang) Something that is disgusting

Re: Something for all you closet British Leyland freaks.

I would SO love to do this.  Had the pleasure (truth, he's charming!) of meeting Mr. Mann at the Vintage Triumph Register National Convention in NC earlier this month.  It should be noted that he was responsible for exterior styling mainly, and not the...engineering...that causes us so much fun now.

I'd have to make the run in a TR7, though.  :-)

And Harris Mann really was both entertaining and a joy to meet!

Jamie Palmer  tr6driver@yahoo.com
Austin Powerless Racing  '75 Austin Marina, 44th/IOE Summit Point '13, 35th/1st Class C CMP Fall '13, 23rd/3rd Class C CMP Spring '14, 83rd/14th Class C CMP Fall '14 (blown engine/swapped mid-race to finish), 3rd Class C CMP Spring '15, 2nd Class C CMP Fall '15
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Po … 3187341573

Not sure the british embassy would help us but hopefully they would still help the car out of British Pride.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Rich Duisberg wrote:

BL geeks will note the sagging front hydragas suspension.

On the bright side, those front displacers still come up for sale from time to time if the suspension needs more than a simple recharge.  I've got a Mk1 Metro, an '82 MG:

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/06/25/bat … ro-hauler/

and, in my experience, the early rear displacers are simply not to be found.  Coil spring conversion kits are available for the MGF but that's about it.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

5 (edited by Spank 2014-10-01 08:47 PM)

mharrell wrote:
Rich Duisberg wrote:

On the bright side, those front displacers still come up for sale from time to time if the suspension needs more than a simple recharge.  I've got a Mk1 Metro, an '82 MG:

and, in my experience, the early rear displacers are simply not to be found.  Coil spring conversion kits are available for the MGF but that's about it.

These early?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exclusive-off … 486b0c735d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MG-AU … 1c46ba263c

No, not early enough.  These are for later Metros; they have a narrower waist than those for the early cars.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

tr6driver wrote:

I would SO love to do this.  Had the pleasure (truth, he's charming!) of meeting Mr. Mann at the Vintage Triumph Register National Convention in NC earlier this month.  It should be noted that he was responsible for exterior styling mainly, and not the...engineering...that causes us so much fun now.

I'd have to make the run in a TR7, though.  :-)

And Harris Mann really was both entertaining and a joy to meet!

I've heard he's a decent chap, the demise of BL isn't his fault. We very nearly won a TR7 on EBay for this trip, my co-driver loves them. Every one I've ever looked at has been a basket case though, rust like you wouldn't believe.

mharrell wrote:
Rich Duisberg wrote:

Thanks. Actually I have a strange theory with crappy old cars like this. They have a kind of automotive karma that shouldn't be disturbed. One little repair might set off a chain of other problems, one rusty connector becomes a complete rebuild. The car will be crushed in a few weeks anyway, unless we fall in love with it and drive it all the way back. Which is unlikely...

Rich Duisberg wrote:

Thanks. Actually I have a strange theory with crappy old cars like this. They have a kind of automotive karma that shouldn't be disturbed. One little repair might set off a chain of other problems, one rusty connector becomes a complete rebuild.

A very non-automotive friend once advised "Never open the hood (bonnet), it lets the bad air in"

I absolutely loathed my old TR8.  From the ridiculously over-engineered electrics (a series of relays to switch the cooling fans between serial or parallel depending on temperature?  Really?) to the painfully uncomfortable seating, I hated it.  I still have a spare wheel in the side yard that I throw rocks at from time to time.

It would be good for me to do this in a TR7.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I absolutely loathed my old TR8.  From the ridiculously over-engineered electrics (a series of relays to switch the cooling fans between serial or parallel depending on temperature?  Really?) to the painfully uncomfortable seating, I hated it.  I still have a spare wheel in the side yard that I throw rocks at from time to time.

It would be good for me to do this in a TR7.

Other guys joining us fall into two camps;

1- Those that honestly believe that BL cars aren't as bad as everyone says and who firmly believe the cars will complete the trip reliably. My co-driver is like this. He has a barn full of BL detritus (two midgets, a mini and an MGB. None of them work. All of them are rusted to buggery).

2-Those who grew up hating BL and who want to export as many examples of these cars to Africa as possible to rid British roads of the remaining examples. That's me. I can't wait to drive my Metro off a cliff, or get it stolen in the Medina in Casblanca, if it gets that far. The brakes are currently seized on.

If you've got a week spare in November you would be most welcome to join us. Fly over and meet us en-route, or if you're really masochistic we'll help you find a cheap POS on EBay you can kill yourself. There's a camera guy coming to make a little documentary about it too. smile

Rich Duisberg wrote:

...or get it stolen in the Medina in Casblanca, if it gets that far.

I don't see why the distance should present any difficulties for a Metro, as it's only about 1800 miles one-way from Cowley.  Still, it sounds like a fun trip.

Rich Duisberg wrote:

If you've got a week spare in November you would be most welcome to join us. Fly over and meet us en-route, or if you're really masochistic we'll help you find a cheap POS on EBay you can kill yourself. There's a camera guy coming to make a little documentary about it too. smile

November is a bit too soon for me.  If I had a good reason to turn down Spank to run a Rootes car in November, I certainly can't accept an invite to run a BL car halfway around the world.  Sounds fun.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

mharrell wrote:

I don't see why the distance should present any difficulties for a Metro, as it's only about 1800 miles one-way from Cowley.

I wish I shared your optimism, this is an Austin, remember! smile

Rich Duisberg wrote:

I wish I shared your optimism, this is an Austin, remember! smile

Not optimism, experience.  This is in Wall, South Dakota:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3114/5716601092_6f14a25af6.jpg

on our way 2000 miles from Washington to Illinois in my Metro, pulling a trailer with another car on it, to attend a car show.  My father was along as a passenger.

Immediately after the show we retraced the same 2000 miles to get back home.

If an MG Metro can do it, surely a Rover Metro can, too.

Rich Duisberg wrote:

1- Those that honestly believe that BL cars aren't as bad as everyone says and who firmly believe the cars will complete the trip reliably. My co-driver is like this. He has a barn full of BL superior machinery (two midgets, a mini and an MGB. None of them break down ever. All of them are trusted means of transportation).

2-Those who grew up hating BL and are just wankers.

If you've got a week spare in November you would be most welcome to join us. Swimover and meet us en-route, or if you're really masochistic we'll help tow you back to land before you kill yourself. There's a camera guy coming to make a little documentary about it too. smile

With our budget, if I left about now I could probably make it just in time.

But I'm gonna need a crapload of empty milk-jugs or some other sort of floaty/pontoony devices. Maybe one of them sail-looking-things.

(sticks finger in air) Soooo... which way is Cowley anyways?!?

http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/269826_2226842595127_6289801_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Sorry Pete I don't the the Zombee qualifies for this rally.  It wasn't designed by Harris Mann.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

Sorry Pete I don't the the Zombee qualifies for this rally.  It wasn't designed by Harris Mann.

Oh no, I just want to watch. I keep most my camping gear in the trailer.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

They may take it as gloating with your prettier better designed BL vehicle.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

...prettier better designed BL vehicle.

Hey, now, I...

Sigh.

...agree.

Damn, I would love to do this... In an Allegro, or a Princess

Off to get a Lotto ticket...

Silversleeves Racing
Austin Mini #42 | John Lemmons Wolseley Hornet
Austin 1800 #49  V6 Landcrab - Organizer's Choice PNW2013 | Class C Winner 2015
Barbie's Corvette #44 - Organizer's Choice PNW2014

20 (edited by Racin_G73 2014-10-10 10:31 AM)

Sparky Pete wrote:
Rich Duisberg wrote:

1- Those that honestly believe that BL cars aren't as bad as everyone says and who firmly believe the cars will complete the trip reliably. My co-driver is like this. He has a barn full of BL superior machinery (two midgets, a mini and an MGB. None of them break down ever. All of them are trusted means of transportation).

2-Those who grew up hating BL and are just wankers.

If you've got a week spare in November you would be most welcome to join us. Swimover and meet us en-route, or if you're really masochistic we'll help tow you back to land before you kill yourself. There's a camera guy coming to make a little documentary about it too. smile

With our budget, if I left about now I could probably make it just in time.

But I'm gonna need a crapload of empty milk-jugs or some other sort of floaty/pontoony devices. Maybe one of them sail-looking-things.

(sticks finger in air) Soooo... which way is Cowley anyways?!?

http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/269826_2226842595127_6289801_n.jpg

You should reroute to Autobahn Country Club in July.  Come out to the true 24 Hour race there.

No milk jugs required!

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

swindrum wrote:

Damn, I would love to do this... In an Allegro, or a Princess

Off to get a Lotto ticket...

You can pick up a Princess for cost of a few lotto tickets. Ambassadors are even cheaper for some reason.

I think we're going to ditch the Metro in Gibraltar on the way back and fly home from there, I'll leave the keys in it, the car is free to anyone who might want it. smile

Rich Duisberg wrote:

I think we're going to ditch the Metro in Gibraltar on the way back and fly home from there, I'll leave the keys in it, the car is free to anyone who might want it. smile

That sounds like half an adventure.  C'mon!  Go all in.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

stimpyvan wrote:
Rich Duisberg wrote:

That sounds like half an adventure.  C'mon!  Go all in.

We originally planned on driving one-way, trashing the cars in Morocco, then flying back from there but your car is linked to your visa and passport on arrival in Tangier and must leave the country with you, this is to stop people bringing cars into the country illegally and selling them. As if anyone would want to buy these wretched things! We're dumping them in Gibraltar on the way back as it's British soil, the paperwork is easier and the flights from there to blighty are very cheap.

I do suspect my co-driver may form a bond with the Metro on this trip and attempt to drive it all the way back to Wales where he lives. The mentalist.

24 (edited by Rich Duisberg 2014-11-18 05:43 AM)

Before

http://www.motorpunk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IMG_4809.jpg

After

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/STICKYBELLYFLAPCOCK/richduisbergafricaconqueredmetro_zps51273f54.jpg

Morocco is a hell-hole, British Leyland build quality is dismal, I had the shits for 2 days solid, we were ripped off by every thieving African we met, the Maestro broke down in an open sewer in a slum and the one night we found somewhere to drink enough to forget how bad the place was we were woken by the call to prayer from the Mosque next door at 4.30am. Oh, and a monkey ate the Metro's owner's manual. I had the time of my life. smile

Report on www.motorpunk.co.uk shortly.

I tried claiming a monkey ate my homework when younger, it didn't work.

Can't wait to read the article.

Facebook Page