Topic: Inside hugging and "slice and dice"

At some point I would like to hear a reasoned, stoic conversation on the general merits of hugging the inside of a corner when there are more than one car entering, where one or more cars sets up for a run through the apex and another stays to the far inside, braking later but ultimately driving the corner slower (?) and blocking the apex and exiting ahead of the outside car(s).

I suppose a transition from that conversation may segue into the merits of advancing your car's position by placing it in any spot on the track that will accommodate your car with at least 3mm to spare between traffic, regardless of circumstance. I'm not pointing any fingers whatsoever but I am merely still learning about etiquette 6 races into my Lemons career. I personally try not to "slice and dice" because I figure that will eventually lead to purposely cutting someone off, making them change their line and possibly cause a shunt or collision. That I could never tolerate. As a corollary, I also do not race with the slice and dice crowd for fear of symptomatic red mist syndrome.

Again, just for personal edification.

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

Re: Inside hugging and "slice and dice"

As a driver of a slower car I have occassionally hugged the inside because it feels safer than the outside with some cars.

The general theory is that I can control my car but not the others car, and with some erratic drivers by placing myself on the inside when they go to pass they will do so on the outside and when their erratic driving  causes them to go wide they end up going wide into the grass as opposed to the side of my car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Here's my thoughts:

Having two cars that are similar in lap times, but drastically different in regards to acceleration vs cornering ability, I've seen this first hand both ways. Approaching a slower car, and attempting to pass, only to get blocked. Most of the time, it's not so much blocking as running their own race without regard to approaching cars coming up in the mirrors, but there is certainly true blocking going on as well.  In my horsepower car, you casually follow them to the nearest straight and blow by them. In my momentum car, you have to try and get around them, many times pulling up next to them going into a corner, and generally taking the inside all the way around.

How does Jay&co feel about this practice? I got the privilege of hearing it first hand after one of my drivers was plowed into while performing the "hold the inside" technique. Both cars come in, my driver tells me and staff what he did, and the other driver is screaming "he took my line!" Jay promptly and loudly told him that there are no lines, he doesnt own a line, and he is responsible for driving his car around the race track without contact. I dont recall if he was allowed back on track after a penalty or if they switched drivers and went out, since he wanted to stay and argue while we were sent back out. 

The moral of the story? Do what I do: let the faster cars go on by, and save yourself from being in a position to force a not so intelligent move on their end. There's plenty of cars our there, if you want to dice it up with one that is similar to yours, do it, but dont hold up a car that is drastically faster than you. You may cost them nickles.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I also think any car that isn't high HP will have to do the majority of its passes in the corner, so either you go high or you go low.  Hell even High HP sometimes will pass in the corner.  The line you take will depend on the car infront but there are plenty of cars that are faster than other cars for a lap but won't have the acceleration to pass a car on a straight if they both start at the same speed.

Facebook Page

It is not even always a "slower car" or "momentum car" that chooses to hug the inside.  Sometimes it is the side closest to me when I do not feel like duking it out with the 5 cars that are faster than me and the one that is slower than me but driving like an asshat entering a corner at the same time.  This happens to me a lot so I have just taken the position that: I wave everyone to side I want them to go, check the mirror and grab the "anti-line" be it the extreme outside or the extreme inside...whatever is closer.

The technique has actually gotten me past the car marginally slower than me that was playing all kinds of blocking games (ahem, white V6 Camaro with no theme) and even past some cars that are slightly faster than I am while they are jockeying for position with the other four guys...and lose.

I've heard it said many times that it is the passing car's responsibility to pass cleanly.  This applies especially so in corners, and as Jay has said, there is no line to be owned.  You comes across a slow car going into a turn, pay attention to that car, and get around as best you can.

The best the slower car can do is to be as consistent as possible, and help other drivers with point bys as necessary.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

To go back to your original question, I think you're asking about whether a "dive bomb" is a bad move or not?

Or if not a dive bomb, then defensive driving through the corner.

In my experience, with a low horsepower car, the move you describe is often one of the best ways to pass cars - if done properly.  You utilize your wonderful brakes to move inside early (communicating your intention to the car you're passing) and braking late.  You are then alongside the car you are passing before they would start to swing over to the apex.  And you are off the brake pedal, as well.  But you are also ready to stomp on the brakes if the driver on your outside is oblivious to your presence.

In the other situation, if you are the car being passed and you are diving to the inside early, you should stay to the inside on exit and let the faster car that's getting larger in your mirror sweep out to the outside of the track and complete the pass.  There's no sense in blocking during an endurance race.

I don't even mention the extreme slow vs. fast car paradigm because that's a whole 'nother can of worms.  Some teams preach to stay to one side or the other.  Some teams preach to stay outside all the time.  Some teams preach to stay inside all the time.  My approach is more to run my race, run my line, but communicate early and often with my hands and by positioning my vehicle to show my intent to the driver coming up from behind.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Hey Doc...still enjoying 90 degrees and 90% humidity?

Anyway...back to the subject at hand...keep in mind that anyone with $50 and driver's license can 'race' right along side folks that have years of racing experience.  My answer is to grin and bear it.  Lemons racing is more for shits and giggles than serious stuff.  Just adjust and git on down the road.

Here in the west, we over load the track as much as possible...228 started T'hill...200 more than Sebring.  So, our mentality is to race and let race.  By that I mean we all lap at different speeds and everyone has a right to their space.  Where ever they choose to put their car is ok with us.  We'll get by sooner or later.  No biggy (again...shits and giggles).  We were going side by side in all of the hairpins all weekend.  We rarely get to run classic lines...certainly not for an entire lap.  I try to run my stint as fast and clean as possible keeping in mind of the $50&DL thingy.  It's in the Lemons DNA that some slow poke will want the apex.  I guess what I'm trying to say is there ain't no eddycut...just no touching.

I will say this... if someone slips inside of you going into a corner, then you failed to protect your line by not moving over in front of said apex taker or late breaking enough.

If you keep it light hearted, then there will be no red mist.

9 (edited by doctordel 2014-09-29 05:38 PM)

rodknox2 wrote:

Hey Doc...still enjoying 90 degrees and 90% humidity?

I will say this... if someone slips inside of you going into a corner, then you failed to protect your line by not moving over in front of said apex taker or late breaking enough.

If you keep it light hearted, then there will be no red mist.

Ahh, SoFla in the fall... Or at least I've been told it's fall. The thermometer says different. And I remember the pic of your view, bro. Rubbing it in is not nice. Actually, I was in Santa Clara last week, by Levi Stadium. Perfect running weather. Lake Worth was easy to leave, I'm sure.

I understand your point, rod. The number of cars makes strictly adhering to "classic" lines pretty difficult sometimes, but not impossible, IMO. But that also reflects what I've seen at CMP these past 3 years. These were ~110 car races over a little less than 2.5 miles. I think I could have phrased my question a bit better but the responses are educational. I would have to take slight exception to the notion that being overtaken by a dive bomb reflects the overtaken driver's failure to protect his/her line. Rather, blocking to move in front of the apex actually represents a distinct change in their line, not protecting their original. And cutting off a charging bomber is a recipe for disaster if they aren't prepared for the block.

I suppose this is all academic but I am very interested in other opinions. What I've read so far, though, leads me to believe that the placement of your car is up to you and your interests since you are ultimately solely responsible for your own behavior. Personally, I have accommodated the slice and dice, bobbing and weaving passing moves of other cars because that type of driving I find unpredictable and I just prefer to steer clear of them, position be damned. I wasn't sure how etiquette would apply, taking safety concerns equally across all perspectives. Thanks for the input. I have taken the inside line myself when it is clearly being given to me and I try to return the favor based on the circumstances, always prioritizing the drivers' safety first.

Head of Estate

Sorry about the dig.  I just couldn't help myself.  I endured Lake Worth's 90 and 90 for over 3 years and I didn't even mention the bugs.  Santa Clara has nice weather.  I lived there for over 3 years also. 

Have you ever watched races at the Glen?  On the straight before the bus stop, the big dog racers move to the right to protect themselves from being dive bombed.  F1 drivers do it too.  Heck, everyone does it at Sear's T11.  I don't think it's a unusual move.  I do tell my teammates to 'leave a lane' if they are going to make a pass on the inside of a corner.

My goal is to help get myself AND the passing car through the corner as fast as possible.  So, I time my corner entry, exit, pointby as best as I can so the passing car can pass me before or after the corner.   I rarely try to allow passing or pass someone in the middle of a corner.  If I have to pass someone in a corner, it is either the last hour of the race, or the car I'm passing is not driving by my thinking.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

As one of the slower cars at CMP, and CMP being our first crowded course, I was much more comfortable hugging the inside line when being swamped by a series of A and fast B cars.  However, I mainly did this at the slower hairpins and carousels (5/6/7, 11, 12, 14) where I could hustle the car around the inside without slowing others down too much (I think), and yielded the apex and held to the outside on fast corners (3, 8, 9, kink) where I just didn't have the speed of the pack.  I never got dive bombed on the hairpins and carousels (maybe it's the nature of those curves?), but I did have some big seedans that didn't know that the rear bumper of their cars wasn't attached to their own, personal rear bumper force me to back off on exit to the other corners as they drifted out across my path.

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

i just posted this in the racing tips and tricks:

Having the 105th slowest car at CMP and not having been there at all on saturday, I had a steep learning curve Sunday morning.

saturday, Tsoggy got hit very hard by the Gold Olds 88, who apparently forgot what the pedal on the left was used for at the end of the front straight.  He managed to push the rear corner of the squire in about 6".  After watching a bunch of much faster cars dice it up and try to outbrake each other going into the same turn, i made the conscious decision to hold the inside all the way through the turns at the end of the straights.  this way, the fast cars could whiff into the grass, rather than use my car as extra braking. i tried to be consistent in the use of this strategy, but it's sometimes difficult to process what's going on ahead and behind, while telling the guys behind where I'd like them to go with pointbys.  If there was clear track, I'd try to run regular racing lines.

I hope this clears up why the Squire was doing what it was doing the first 2 hours and the last 90 minutes of Sundays session.  Not sure about strategies with my other drivers, as i wasn't around day 1.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

As the 6th slowest car at CMP here are my personal feelings

I know that my car understeers. I also know that I am slower than most everything in front of me. I can out brake everything in front of me. Unless I know that I can get in front of you through the turn without swinging out wide and blocking I won't do it. Sometimes being slow I get pushed to the inside when it's less favorable. Other times I'm hanging on to the edge of understeer grip on the outside. Usually I just ride it out and let the fast cars behind me make the decisions. I try to only move people around when they are putting themselves in danger of my 3500lb tank.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

The cars that are slower are the most predictable on the track, typically. Their adherence to a line-be it inside or out-is almost always a given and very easy to negotiate. The Squire and the Idle Clatter cars are just two examples of this attitude of "predictable, safe, fun." You guys drive this way just as much to protect yourselves as to not impede anyone else and it's appreciated by everyone on the track.

The earlier comment about how this is all supposed to be for fun is what resonated the most, tho. Rod reiterated "keeping it light" and that is the I Ching of this series. A universal definition of this isn't realistic so the inevitable answer to my original question is the ineffable "don't be a d!ck" and just run your race the way you see fit.

Head of Estate

Thanks again for the "Volks Pinto" trophy.  It was a complete surprise, as I didn't know the "fast" Pinto had been down for a while Saturday.

I had heard a rumbling or 2 that at least 1 of my A&D's made the car very "wide" on track.  If that was the case for any of you, please accept my apologies.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

doctordel wrote:

At some point I would like to hear a reasoned, stoic conversation on the general merits of hugging the inside of a corner when there are more than one car entering, where one or more cars sets up for a run through the apex and another stays to the far inside, braking later but ultimately driving the corner slower (?) and blocking the apex and exiting ahead of the outside car(s).

I suppose a transition from that conversation may segue into the merits of advancing your car's position by placing it in any spot on the track that will accommodate your car with at least 3mm to spare between traffic, regardless of circumstance. I'm not pointing any fingers whatsoever but I am merely still learning about etiquette 6 races into my Lemons career. I personally try not to "slice and dice" because I figure that will eventually lead to purposely cutting someone off, making them change their line and possibly cause a shunt or collision. That I could never tolerate. As a corollary, I also do not race with the slice and dice crowd for fear of symptomatic red mist syndrome.

Again, just for personal edification.

I will hold the inside line unless I am absolutely certain the car on the outside has not tried to race me thru the turn and I can drift out without slamming the door on them.

Conversely, when I am getting passed I do my best to let them by before turn entry so that they have the entire corner to use and we can both go thru the corner more quickly.  It is not often that I get a point-by (at least in my car), but it is really frustrating when they give you a point-by and then still race you into the corner.  That just slows everyone down.

Of course all of this is in light traffic.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

perseverance furthers

Lemons driving has a lot of challenges which makes lines impractical.  We have to many cars on the track, to much a difference in speeds of the cars, a huge variant in driver skills and experience.  From what I've seen what people do in the turns depends most on what is going on in that moment.

There are times when there are 2 lines of cars going through multiple turns,  there is times when you use a slower car as a pick, there are times that everyone uses the proper lines and there times when we are going 3 wide in a turn that professionals go single file.   This is why Jay says there is no racing line.  A big part of racing Lemons is how negotiating traffic and learning how to do it well.

What I've seen is that dive bombers tend to have Karma catch up with them and I would hope in time they will realize that doing that is costing them track time and sometimes the win.  Some people the light comes on, sometimes it never does though.

Facebook Page

As the owner and driver of one of the competitive cars at CMP (Black bumble-bee CRX), here is my view:

We do not have the horsepower to hang with the top 5 guys (RC Spiders, I'm looking at you), but we certainly have the cornering speed and brakes to keep us top 10 if we don't break.  I often find myself running up on a crowd into #4, #8, #11 and #14.  If I can get all the way next to a car before turn in for the corner, I'll take the inside.  I'm making sure of two things as I do that:
1st, does the driver see me?  This is where I screw up most often because I forget our car can be lost under the door line of other cars.  If I can't get next to the outside car, I check up and slide around his rear bumper during the corner instead.
2nd, can I set a cornering speed that allows me to leave room for the outside car to race?  If I'm carrying too much speed and can't leave the outside car a line on exit, I've already screwed up and should never have tried for the inside.

What does this strategy risk?  I'm depending on the other driver to leave me room on the inside to race.  Experience tells me if that is going to happen or not.  I spent less time this race on the inside curbing than last race, so I might be improving.  Oh - did I mention that the CRX completely fits on the inside curbing of #4 and #8?  I've gotten away clean from a botched inside pass on both those corners because I've avoided the outside car (who is driving like the inside car) and the dirt.  We do not fit on the curbing of #11 or #14.  I got pinched in #11 Saturday morning by something green because I thought he saw me.  Still not sure who that was.  Before I get blasted for bad passes and black flags, I know I mostly suck, but I am improving.  And I wasn't driving in the video I posted of both our cars tangling with a Miata in #8 on Sunday.  That was an example of what not to do.  No way the Miata could see our CRX when it was two cars back at the Miata's turn in.

Is it the car behind's responsibility to make the pass?  Yes, but...  Does anyone own the line at any point in time?  No.  Every situation on track is a balance of staying on track and not hitting anything.  Any time you fail at either of those things, you fail.  Doesn't matter who was in front, or who thought they had the line.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Baron wrote:

The moral of the story? Do what I do...

That's the typical moral of a DJ story. But in this case, I actually agree with him. Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day, or something like that. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

All I know is this: People who think they own "the line" are going to have problems in Lemons. I've been racing in several series since 1984, and am happy to say that 99.99% of Lemons drivers are pretty courteous. Seems like only the "real racers" tend to bang into you or blame others. The amount of flags you get should tell you all you need about your driving since all incidents are "no fault" - or rather "all fault". As one of the faster cars that gets few to no flags most races, I back off if the people in front of me act uncertain, and dive in if they are driving confidently and there is room - its all about controlled risk management. Doing that I got to watch lots of wrecks in front of me without being part of them - got a few good ones on video too smile Others may have a  less flattering view of us, but I think everybody mixes it up pretty well, and pretty safely for the most part. Just keep your nose out of trouble and don't worry about much else unless you got a clear track to get your line just right. Look at your average lap times rather than fast lap to see how well you are really doing.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

solman244 wrote:

1st, does the driver see me?  This is where I screw up most often because I forget our car can be lost under the door line of other cars.  If I can't get next to the outside car, I check up and slide around his rear bumper during the corner instead.
2nd, can I set a cornering speed that allows me to leave room for the outside car to race?  If I'm carrying too much speed and can't leave the outside car a line on exit, I've already screwed up and should never have tried for the inside.

These are both "Words to Live By" in Lemons racing. I drive one of the faster cars at CMP but I almost never poke the nose of my car inside without knowing that I have more braking in reserve and can avoid a car that turns into the apex at the last second. If I do go inside I make sure that I can hold the inside line all the way through the corner to let the outside car exit cleanly beside me.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

As usual, the ambassadors of the forum have come through with cogent points and explanations even an Aggie can understand. Thanks for your perspectives. Y'all's responses articulate the lessons here very well.

Head of Estate

revvhappy wrote:

If I do go inside I make sure that I can hold the inside line all the way through the corner to let the outside car exit cleanly beside me.

More words to live by...