1 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2014-09-29 05:29 PM)

Topic: Valid Cage design element?

Finding a proper footing for the front corners of our cage is turning out to be tricky.  Not enough room to put the whole tube on the inner door sill and putting it completely on the floor with enough room to weld 360 degrees around puts the cage further inboard than I'd like.

Is this a valid concept, if the spreader plates are adequately sized and the welds are of good quality?

See my sketch and my 3D model below. 
http://i58.tinypic.com/2z9lj60.jpg

Here's my 3d mock up.  the red solo cup represents the cage tubing, the carboard is the existing car unibody structure, the red spirals represent welds and the blue areas represent spreader plates.

http://i60.tinypic.com/jif7md.jpg

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Re: Valid Cage design element?

IgnoranteWest wrote:

Finding a proper footing for the front corners of our cage is turning out to be tricky.  Not enough room to put the whole tube on the inner door sill and putting it completely on the floor with enough room to weld 360 degrees around puts the cage further inboard than I'd like.

Is this a valid concept, if the spreader plates are adequately sized and the welds are of good quality?

See my sketch and my 3D model below. 
sorry for the rotation problem, imagine it rotated 90 degrees unless I can fix the problem.  the red solo cup represents the cage tubing, the carboard is the existing car unibody structure, the red spirals represent welds and the blue areas represent spreader plates.

Just build a plinth and be done with it.  In short, make vertical sides that create and area big enough for a legal spreader plate from 1/8" stock...even better if you TRULY make a box of 1/8" plate.

3 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2014-09-29 05:37 PM)

This is what's shown in the handy dandy how not to fail guide published by Lemons, but the discussion among our teammates is that the angle is different than shown... I want to build it going straight down, but the drawing indicates this concept at an angle.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2mn12iu.jpg

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

OnkelUdo wrote:

Just build a plinth and be done with it.  In short, make vertical sides that create and area big enough for a legal spreader plate from 1/8" stock...even better if you TRULY make a box of 1/8" plate.

Seems like building a box would be a more complex design and therefore more room for error?

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

I'd send your drawing to TEO and see what he says.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

FPRbuzz wrote:

I'd send your drawing to TEO and see what he says.

I sent him a link to this thread, will be interested to see what he says.

I can't imagine being the first person to have this question.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

7 (edited by OnkelUdo 2014-09-29 06:12 PM)

IgnoranteWest wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

Seems like building a box would be a more complex design and therefore more room for error?

Many a car has done it for various reasons.  One of the more common is to get full circumference weld on top elements of the cage without boring holes in the body to drop the cage through.  It is a "common" practice with common meaning a reasonably not so rare solution to a common problem.

FWIW, most of the cages I put in my cars are on plinth boxes. I addition to them giving me the clearance to get radius welds up top without cutting the roof open, I prefer to put the forces on top of the sill or step. I usie a flat plate and then building a box that is of the same height as the sill and then put spreader plate on the vertical face of the sill and the horizontal face of the floor pan. When I've quizzed TEO about my cages, he said he likes that I tie them in to the sills/steps because that is the strongest part of the car. He said my large spreader plates on the floor (after tying in to the sill) does nothing. I still do it, though.

I try to have the tube sit halfway on the sill and halfway on my box mimicking what you were considering sans box.

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/6166075/IMG_2942_detail.jpg

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/6166079/IMG_2943_detail.jpg

Disclaimer-- I'm no pro at this and I'm always eager to learn better and safer ways of building the cages for my cars.

Question on these plinth boxes.  I'm assuming that's not solid metal all the way through?  For example, referencing Spank's picture above, you'd have a spreader on the floor, spreader at the sill, and three pieces of plate to form the box?  Or is there additional support not visible?

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

Normally it is a hollow box of the same material as the spreader plate.  All elements are fully welded to the same standards as the cage or spreader plate-to-body.

Ignorante, I like the design and love your mock-up.  I'm also curious to hear what TEO has to say about it.  My gut instinct is that it would be stronger than a plinth box but more difficult to fab right.  A plinth box has some welds in shear (if that's the right term) that seem like they would be more stressed than your design.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I vote plinth box. Easier to fabricate and to get the welds right and it's a standard construction method, which makes it less likely to fail tech. I personally like to plate the floor below the plinth box because Toyota floor metal is not always the thickest, and I like to pour heat into those welds. YMMV.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I think its great. With the plates flat on the floor you are actually spreading the load to the floor metal. The weld around the perimeter is OK, no less than a box. the notched tubing welded properly will spread its load into the plates.

Boxes aren't that great an idea. Because they don't actually spread the cage load over the area of the floor. They concentrate the load on the edges of the plate.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Going back to the "how not to fail Lemons tech" official publication, plinth boxes are not a featured topic. big_smile

I may end up building a plinth box after all, but I still want to know if the design in the original post is kosher to rulebook and a safe alternative.

The challenging part of the tube notch design would be notching the tube precisely, but I suspect with time, patience, a tender hand and some soft whispers, it can be done.

I also had concerns about spreading the load of vertical walls on plinth box and frankly with the sharp corners of those boxes at my ankles.  A spreader plate underneath the box as Spank & Mulry suggest would eliminate that shear concern... wondering out loud if the empty space a critical part of the plinth box design?

Spank obviously made the top plate extend beyond the wall plates for structural integrity but my ankles hurt just looking at that picture big_smile I guess race boots are high tops but still...

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

Yes, I prefer to do something like the OP has drawn in the OP.  It allows more welding area for the tube to spreader joint, and it allows for a 3-dimensional spreader plate, which is stronger than a flat plate on the flat floor.

Disclaimer: I am not the keeper of the rulebook, just another racer.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

While Plinth boxes are standard and accepted, I do see the potential issue with them having welds in shear and whatnot.  I like the OP's suggestion, but of course it comes down to workmanship as much as design.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Problem I see is the possibility of splitting the tube up the middle with the v of that spreader plate as the in place wedge. I'd say the cut on the end of the tube should be on one plane to avoid that possible issue. I'm not teo, just my 2¢.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

I made the plinth boxes for the cage Spank did for the Imp (which everyone says very nice things about).  The plinth boxes were made from thick square tubing.  I used CAD (cardboard aided design) to notch the box so that the box matched the contour of the sill and floor spreader plates.  It's basically the same shape as your solo cup stradding the sill and touching on the floor as well as the top and side of the sill.  It took a few tries to get it so that the plinth matches the plates along the top of the sill,on the sill slope and the floor. 

The top of the sill box overlaps the top edges of the box.  Not sure the box being hollow is worse than the tube landing on a spreader plate welded to thin metal like the floor.  A compression force would need to collapse the steel plate on top of a 4" box (while also pulling inwards the welds on the edge of the box) plus also shoving the 4" box through the spreader plates on the sill and floor.

The verticalish welds on the sill/plinth junction are not really in shear because the plinth is also sitting on top of the sill and the floor.  Both of those would have to fail before the welds on the side of the sill would be in shear.  I would think it would take a lot more fiddling to get the forward leg/cage A pillar notched to fit the sill.  Lots of angle of the dangle to deal with there and if you fail, you have to bend up another leg and get that correct again.. 

When it all went together I thought to myself  "my ankles are sooo hosed" but it has been zero issue so far.  I made sure there was very little overlap for the plinth box in that corner so there were no sharp edges.  If I do get into a wild flip I'm sure my ankles will hit it at some point (along with pretty much everything else in the foot well) but in normal use, the ankle/plinth interference fears were unfounded.  And the Imp is not a big car.

Another benefit to the plinth boxes is that it was straightforward to add tubing fore/aft and side/side between the boxes so that the seat is mounted to the cage and not the car.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

When it all went together I thought to myself  "my ankles are sooo hosed" but it has been zero issue so far.  I made sure there was very little overlap for the plinth box in that corner so there were no sharp edges.  If I do get into a wild flip I'm sure my ankles will hit it at some point (along with pretty much everything else in the foot well) but in normal use, the ankle/plinth interference fears were unfounded.

You know, Kirkey sells their high density foam in sheet form.  It's the same stuff they use on their head rests and such.  The back is self-adhesive.  Just peel off the paper and stick it where you want it.  I'm using it as an 'elbow rest' in my dirt modified.  But you could put a square of it on your plinth.

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/R … Foam-Sheet

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

mechimike wrote:

... it comes down to workmanship as much as design.

THIS is TEO's pattern response for any/all tech questions. Followed by "Do a good job".

we have been using the "Pipemaster" tool for our joints and it really helps with complex joints. You still have to do a little custom grinding but it gets you in the ball park much quicker,.

http://www.pipemastertools.com/instructions.html

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

Either method is fine, It's all about good fabrication and quality 360 degree welds.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

IMHO, add 3 triangular gussets on the upper level. This should eliminate (or significantly reduce) the possibility of the tube "tearing" at the edge of the shelf.

The correct answer, as always: Do whatever Jay tells you to do. (which means firing off an email.)

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

jfbeam wrote:

IMHO, add 3 triangular gussets on the upper level. This should eliminate (or significantly reduce) the possibility of the tube "tearing" at the edge of the shelf.

The correct answer, as always: Do whatever Pagel a/k/a Evil Genius tells you to do when it comes to cages.

FTFY. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Evil Genius wrote:

Either method is fine, It's all about good fabrication and quality 360 degree welds.

-John

BEWM

Thanks John!

-Dave

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave