Topic: Can you race a 2wd S10 pickup truck?

Hey Guys,

New here, me and couple of close friends of mine are looking into getting Lemons racing, and we are looking for a vehicle at the moment, but I have a question. Is a 2wd S10 pickup truck allowed to race?

Thanks
Grant

Re: Can you race a 2wd S10 pickup truck?

Sure is there are a few running around the country.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

disjaukifa wrote:

Hey Guys,

New here, me and couple of close friends of mine are looking into getting Lemons racing, and we are looking for a vehicle at the moment, but I have a question. Is a 2wd S10 pickup truck allowed to race?

Thanks
Grant

I strongly recommend a first gen long bed with a 2.8L and the automatic...especially if you plan to race in the midwest.  the team here added C4 corvette wheels and are just way to fast now.  If it weren't for the fact that they dispense low quality beer from their tailgate, I would call them CHEATERZ!

You should! They are so rife for great themes too! Also, you're race truck can bring your race stuff to the race! Such win.

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

Small pickup trucks seem to be generally overbuilt and robust. From what I've seen, they don't break all the nickle-and-dime stuff that fails on most cars and they're fairly simple.

I'll second the 60* V6 recommendation. It's a tough engine (so long as you don't rev it to redline every shift) and easily replaceable and upgradable.

The 4.3L-powered S10s can absolutely fly, but the engines tend to be less reliable. You'll also be tempted to drop in a Chevy V8. Don't do that.

If you're not partial to brand, a four-cylinder Ranger with the old Ford Lima engine should be pretty reliable. For Fords, cylinder count and displacement seem to have an inverse relationship with reliability.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

Small pickup trucks seem to be generally overbuilt and robust. From what I've seen, they don't break all the nickle-and-dime stuff that fails on most cars and they're fairly simple.

I'll second the 60* V6 recommendation. It's a tough engine (so long as you don't rev it to redline every shift) and easily replaceable and upgradable.

The 4.3L-powered S10s can absolutely fly, but the engines tend to be less reliable. You'll also be tempted to drop in a Chevy V8. Don't do that.

If you're not partial to brand, a four-cylinder Ranger with the old Ford Lima engine should be pretty reliable. For Fords, cylinder count and displacement seem to have an inverse relationship with reliability.

And after a while and you get the engine setup running well but get bored of running a pickup the 60v6 and trans will basically bolt right into an mgb.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

therood wrote:

For Fords, cylinder count and displacement seem to have an inverse relationship with reliability.

Hey!  Our performance to date resembles that remark.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

BoB wrote:

And after a while and you get the engine setup running well but get bored of running a pickup the 60v6 and trans will basically bolt right into an mgb.

SSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!

(super-secret world domination and all that implores you to stuff your mouth full of something chewy and shuush)

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

therood wrote:

Well, I guess we'll just cap the limit at 281 cubes.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Sparky Pete wrote:
BoB wrote:

SSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!

(super-secret world domination and all that implores you to stuff your mouth full of something chewy and shuush)

(if I was giving out super-secret world domination stuff I would have told him were to get the better 60 degree v6s)

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:
Sparky Pete wrote:
BoB wrote:

SSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!

(if I was giving out super-secret world domination stuff I would have told him were to get the better 60 degree v6s)

Anton's house?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Baron wrote:
therood wrote:

Swap in the mod motor V10 and prove them all wrong

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Baron wrote:
therood wrote:

It's not a rule, just a general observation.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Racin_G73 wrote:
BoB wrote:
Sparky Pete wrote:

SSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Anton's house?

Hey, it already WAS at my house. Long enough for me to get another J-body, race it, decide it wasn't fast enough, and go reclaim the original gray car engine/buy it back!

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

15 (edited by Baron 2014-09-24 06:13 AM)

racinrob wrote:
therood wrote:

Although I would agree with the reliability of the 2.3/2.5, I think the Ranger would not be a good platform to start with.  It has been my experience racing against them on circle tracks that they sit higher than S10's or 2wd Toyota's and tend to roll over much easier.

Then again, this info is coming from someone who is contemplating building a DJ postal dispatch Jeep.

these guys damn near won this race.

http://www.murileemartin.com/LNOS10/NewOrleans2010-264.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Just think about how much faster they would have been if they had left the tailgate down.

We have a fair number of S10s in Lemons. A couple have been fairly quick.

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/05/LSS11-WinnerIOE-520px.jpg
An S10 won IOE at the 2011 South Spring race.

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/04/520x397xLMIS11-WinnerIOE2-520px.jpg.pagespeed.ic.PFyJwOJ6KY.jpg
Another S10 won IOE at the 2011 Gingerman Spring race

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2013-LeMons-Legends-Fire-Truck-S15-626x426.jpg
Grandpa Dave's S10 is a spectator favorite at CMP

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/04/522x350xLicensed_To_Ill-1280px-02-522x350.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0rrEKTU-zw.jpg
The Licensed To Ill S10 is quick enough (with a Chevy 283 small-block and Turbo 350 trans) to contend for Class B at the tough California races, even with 500 pounds of woofers in the bed.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMI13/373-UG-LMI13.jpg
I think this 2.8 V6-powered S10 won Judges' Choice at Gingerman last year.

Don't forget this s10 .... 4.3 5spd 2wd shortbed...

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LNJ12/0378-LNJ12-UG.jpg

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

And the boat exemplifies the beauty of the s-10. Everything comes off and it still runs. Theme superstar!

Also I know some people make hot rods out of the frames, so there are spindle's and such to let you un-truck the suspension.

The GMT325 was biased on the G-platform wasn't it?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

The boat is awesome......and it just won class c in New Hampshire.  So yeah....you can run an S10 and do well.  Just dont redline the piss out of it.