Re: Thank you.

Well-earned to LemonAid. I think that car really could win overall if everything falls its way, although if you look at the lap counts, there was huge fall-off from P5 (where the team's E30 finished) to the Metro in P6. There's some speed left in the Metro, I suspect, if you can add some negative camber to the front.

Bayley wrote:

...and is anyone else impressed by the 1972 Grand Prix ripping a 1:43?

I did actually talk to Jeremy yesterday and he sounded genuinely surprised the Grand Prix (which was the Can You Dig It? car) was anywhere south of 1:50. It sure did look fantastic on the track:

http://i.imgur.com/tfozA6T.jpg

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Fishah wrote:

My PB was a 45.6, but when I was driving we were mostly in the 46's and 47's.

Sounds like my guys weren't far off the pace.  The last driver ran a 1:48.1 around 2:45pm before puking the transmission.  There might have been another second or two in there, but we'll never know for sure.  Thanks.

Fishah wrote:

Just looked at the results again, and it looks like #71 "Can You Dig It" actually was the fastest lap in B. What car was that?

The Grand Prix had a 43? Or a 53?

"Can You Dig It" was the 1972 Grand Prix.  He did indeed pull a 1:43 mid day Saturday and was put in B-class after Phil watched the car during the Friday test day.  They had some nasty fuel delivery issues throughout the day on Sunday, so it's  fair to say that was a little time he could have pulled off that lap time as well. 

2 tons of old school Detroit iron... amazing.

The Pentastar whisperer

Fishah wrote:

Just looked at the results again, and it looks like #71 "Can You Dig It" actually was the fastest lap in B. What car was that?

That was the Grand Prix.

And yes, I was impressed with it's speed. I had nothing for it with the Neon. For an old boat that thing can handle surprisingly well.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Yep. We have to figure out how to create ANY negative camber and some caster. Currently it feels like you're driving a delivery truck with overly boosted power steering (it is a de-powered rack).  Also, we're running an open diff now.  Apparently very old BMW differentials meant for 130HP don't like being abused on the track.  Even with it's flaws, it makes me grin from ear to ear when I drive it (well... As long as it isn't in the rain... That was the most scared in a car I had ever been).  Just knowing I helped to create a car out of 13 different donors and made something that hasn't been made before is enough... The fact that it mysteriously held together is mind-boggling.  If you really knew the complete lack of skill I posses in fabrication, you wouldn't believe this car would last a lap.  Completely amazed.

The big Pontiac is a work of art.  It is amazingly fast, and their drivers are great guys and obviously very talented behind the wheel.  I could never drive that car that fast.

therood wrote:

Well-earned to LemonAid. I think that car really could win overall if everything falls its way, although if you look at the lap counts, there was huge fall-off from P5 (where the team's E30 finished) to the Metro in P6. There's some speed left in the Metro, I suspect, if you can add some negative camber to the front.

Bayley wrote:

...and is anyone else impressed by the 1972 Grand Prix ripping a 1:43?

I did actually talk to Jeremy yesterday and he sounded genuinely surprised the Grand Prix (which was the Can You Dig It? car) was anywhere south of 1:50. It sure did look fantastic on the track:

http://i.imgur.com/tfozA6T.jpg

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Thanks everyone again.  I had no idea the Quantum was also going for the same thing... NICE!!!!!!!!

well, we're not going for it per se-- previous owners did the B/C/IOE for us.

the great irony is that the cheaty S4 motor we installed (resulting in the bump up to "A") is likely the one thing that will prevent the car from ever threatening the podium again (since I'm to cheap to put in a cell).

so yeah- I wouldn't really feel threatened in your pursuit smile

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Those guys in that Gran Prix were great in the rain.  They had that thing drifting all over the place.  I followed them around for a couple of laps because it was fun to watch that much car control in a car that big.  I hope we see that thing again at Autobahn.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

cabinboy wrote:

And yes, I was impressed with it's speed. I had nothing for it with the Neon. For an old boat that thing can handle surprisingly well.

Well, the team captain was responsible for selecting all the suspension components for the original SRT8 Chrysler LXs (300 / Charger / Magnum) so getting big boats to lay flat in a turn shouldn't be anything new to him.  smile

The Pentastar whisperer

Great job! That is awesome to get car with that many changes get sorted out so quick. Hope to see you guys at the podium getting the IOE smile

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

34 (edited by majo 2014-10-21 10:19 PM)

Congrats guys!  The Metro looked great out on the track:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10730777_1510776215836818_2234819798763641962_n.jpg?oh=4b3b95d5f9511719cb19be6ab0132fcf&oe=54BC3598&__gda__=1424663201_7ddbb749e42da63e0255468dcc0c2a2c

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Nice picture!!! Thanks guys.  smile

TENSO.

http://i.imgur.com/c4VpJeB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VmEy2dd.jpg

OR BUILD YOUR OWN

http://i.imgur.com/U2vc7Lb.jpg

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Ha ha ha... Nice.  We've always said, "It's cute.... Till it passes you." 

That was in response to all the other team's wives who would always say, "Your car is soooo cute."  And all the husbands (drivers) would nod knowingly because we were one of the slowest things on the track.  So if we ever passed one back in the day, that was our catch phrase.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Last year, we never even thought about or considered this possibility.  Really, we have Phil to thank for bumping us to class B with the original 3-cylinder motor.  When we realized 55hp was not going to cut it, we were at a crossroads.  We considered not racing it anymore. Phil encouraged us to go crazy with a build (essentially).  So we started down the road to converting it to a RWD car with the engine in front.  During the process of building the car, we got VERY lucky and won A/overall at Road America with our BMW 325e.  At that time we realized we could complete our class wins if we could get the Metro running. 

Winning overall/A is the hardest thing (outside of IOE), so we understand the next win will need some luck also.

I think winning overall is MUCH harder than IOE. You can throw volume at IOE and sooner or later something sticks. Overall requires not only excellent driving, prep, and pit organization, but a huge amount of luck. That's why we only have one overall after two dozen cars built, and nearly a hundred separate vehicle entries.

Now that Lemon-aid has A/B/C/IOE wins, what are they lacking?

We have one or more of every award Lemons has to offer, save for the class B win. The current tally:

-Raced at 50 different races since 2009

-Entered 96 team cars in races (cars that actually paid up and made it to the track)

-Built 24 separate cars for Lemons, and had numerous variations on some of those (like the 390/V12/turbodiesel tbird variants, or the X90/Camper, etc.)

-Finished in the top ten six times (P1, 3, 5, 8, 9, 10)

-Lost two cars to crashes

-Won IOE 7 times (Diesel 1963 Thunderbird with BMW 524TD power, Lancia Scorpion/MR2 hybrid, 1980 Bonneville Donk, Viking Camper, Spirit of Lemons, Upside Down Camaro, Wagon Queen Family Truckster)

-Won Organizer's Choice 6 times (pink 1961 Cadillac, 1980 Bonneville Donk, 1965 Impala Rental Wagon, '53' bowling alley trailer, BMWhatever, Honda Accordion)

-Won I Got Screwed, Judges Choice, two Least Horrible Yank Tanks, Epic Repair Failure, Heroic Fix, 1/3 of the Jerry Garcia Smoking Crack award, the Sebring Cup, Class C, Class A, and Overall. Also won the 2010 and 2013 Coppa Di Bondo and the 2012 National Championship.

I'm still hoping to be the first with the complete set of Lemons hardware, but at the rate we keep stepping on our dicks in Class B, they'll get there first. big_smile

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

I think winning overall is MUCH harder than IOE. You can throw volume at IOE and sooner or later something sticks. Overall requires not only excellent driving, prep, and pit organization, but a huge amount of luck. That's why we only have one overall after two dozen cars built, and nearly a hundred separate vehicle entries.

Now that Lemon-aid has A/B/C/IOE wins, what are they lacking?

We have one or more of every award Lemons has to offer, save for the class B win. The current tally:

-Raced at 50 different races since 2009

-Entered 96 team cars in races (cars that actually paid up and made it to the track)

-Built 24 separate cars for Lemons, and had numerous variations on some of those (like the 390/V12/turbodiesel tbird variants, or the X90/Camper, etc.)

-Finished in the top ten six times (P1, 3, 5, 8, 9, 10)

-Lost two cars to crashes

-Won IOE 7 times (Diesel 1963 Thunderbird with BMW 524TD power, Lancia Scorpion/MR2 hybrid, 1980 Bonneville Donk, Viking Camper, Spirit of Lemons, Upside Down Camaro, Wagon Queen Family Truckster)

-Won Organizer's Choice 6 times (pink 1961 Cadillac, 1980 Bonneville Donk, 1965 Impala Rental Wagon, '53' bowling alley trailer, BMWhatever, Honda Accordion)

-Won I Got Screwed, Judges Choice, two Least Horrible Yank Tanks, Epic Repair Failure, Heroic Fix, 1/3 of the Jerry Garcia Smoking Crack award, the Sebring Cup, Class C, Class A, and Overall. Also won the 2010 and 2013 Coppa Di Bondo and the 2012 National Championship.

I'm still hoping to be the first with the complete set of Lemons hardware, but at the rate we keep stepping on our dicks in Class B, they'll get there first. big_smile

I agree Speedy, the overall win is the hardest thing to do. Do they have a Heroic Fix award? That is a must have award for Lemons.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

40 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2014-11-20 10:38 AM)

We don't have several awards... We don't have Heroic fix, Organizers Choice, Judges choice.  We have 1 overall/1 A, 1 B, 3 C's, 1 "I got screwed" and 1 IOE.  2 cars. 18 races. 

Certainly not anywhere close to Speedy's resume'.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

We don't have several awards... We don't have Heroic fix, Organizers Choice, Judges choice.  We have 1 overall/1 A, 1 B, 3 C's, 1 "I got screwed" and 1 IOE.  2 cars. 18 races. 

Certainly not anywhere close to Speedy's resume'.

Its not like you can "plan" to get a Heroic Fix either. That is blind luck, both good and bad 8-)

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner