Topic: Lexan Windshield and front bars

Quick question.  We only have our windshield left to do and we are constructing it from 3/8" Lexan.  The questions I have is can we drill through the front bars to attach the Lexan to the cage or does that fail tech due to that being a structural component.  The other option we have is to tack weld some bolt studs to the front of the bars OR just run foam tape on the front of the bars and zip-tie it down at about 20 locations.  Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Re: Lexan Windshield and front bars

are you drilling into the tube?  I would say no because you are drilling holes into your tube. if it isn't a convertible that your removed the whole window frame I would probably attach it to the window frame.  If not weld some tabs or some metal or something to the cage to mount it to.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

On the CORVETTUTU I built a frame out of 1/2 box and  drilled  the  Lexan and the  then welded that to the front hoop of cage.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Thanks guys.  It is a convertible and the windshield frame in long gone.  I heard from Nick at Lemons HQ and he said a "reasonable amount" of small holes (10/32 or so) would be fine.  We may go the route mentioned above of making a frame then attaching the frame to the cage.  The fewer the holes in my cage the better I feel

Am I the only one thinking that 3/8 lexan will be a bear to bend, and way overkill if used with window bars?

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Yeah.....  after looking at the actual piece, I could probably get away with 3/16" or 1/4" since the impact rating is still pretty substantial. Seeing that 3/8" was like looking at a convenience store clerk after midnight.

did I miss something?  I thought Lexan was a NO NO!

Jerry

8 (edited by gump 2014-10-22 07:12 PM)

3.J.1 Windshields.   A sturdy, driver-protecting windshield is required; we strongly recommend OE-type. Real polycarbonate or strong, securely mounted steel mesh is also acceptable. Acrylic and all other non-polycarbonate plastics are not allowed.  All non-OE windshields must be thick enough and suitably braced to resist a heavy object striking the windshield at speed.

It is my understanding that Lexan is a brand name for a type of polycarbonate.

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

Correct.  A little safer than some older OE windshields if you ask me.  Its good enough for Grand Prix, LeMans and Concept...

Another question that the rules don't specify.  The rule states "a driver protecting windshield" but does that windshield have to go across the entire original location?  Reason being is that I can find a 24" x 48" piece of 1/4" Lexan for a third of the price of a 24"x96".  We purposely built our roll cage with a third front bar bent the same as the other two that is attached from the dash bar to the roof loop.  Any input on this aspect?

350zTheDude wrote:

Thanks guys.  It is a convertible and the windshield frame in long gone.  I heard from Nick at Lemons HQ and he said a "reasonable amount" of small holes (10/32 or so) would be fine.  We may go the route mentioned above of making a frame then attaching the frame to the cage.  The fewer the holes in my cage the better I feel

No offense to Nick, but I wouldn't drill any holes in your cage until you hear an answer from John Pagel.

And I agree, 3/8" is way overkill. I know I've seen an argument on this forum before about whether 3/16" or 1/4" is sufficient, but that's another thing you can ask John. (pagel at 24hoursoflemons dot com)

Email sent!  Thanks!

Ours is 3/16, and we welded tabs to the cage and mounted it to them.  Also added a support to the inside of lexan in the center and screwed it to that too to keep it from bowing at all.

Ryan

Looks Good On Paper Racing
#314 V8 E30 Submarine