Topic: Yet Another New Team

I guess this is the place to come and get tomatoes thrown at you as the new guys. After poking around this site last year and attending Autobahn this last July I rounded up my 3 worst friends and decided to get a team together. We'll be getting ready to run events in the Midwest races in 2015. Have a line on two cars already now just have to have our rock paper scissors off to decided which direction we go. Answer to this question may help in our decision though. I understand the whole car price thing with the selling off of parts to get down to under $500 with a minimum value of $0 initial investment. One of the cars we are looking at was a project car and is being sold with some parts for the build. Can these parts be offset by selling parts off the car since they will be included in the original purchase or do they count towards the add ons which can not be offset. The parts are not exempt either. They are a set of shocks, just stock replacements not coil overs or anything,stock radiator , water pump and a few other non performance engine parts. Any help on this might steer us in the right direction and end our car debate.

Re: Yet Another New Team

They can be offset by selling other non-exempt parts, however, it may be a good idea to get the current owner to give you a separate bill of sale for the parts with specific prices. This way, if you don't sell of enough to offset everything you can pick and choose what to put on the car before the race to stay in budget and bring the rest as spares to your first race. Welcome to the circus!!

Butt Sweat & Beers.

Welcome!!!  It is always a good idea to document everything and have a very nice easy to read format to give to the judges.  Pictures, receipts and other evidence of proof that you actually paid what you said are always a plus.  That being said it also depends on what your driving.  Is it an E30, Miata, Supra or the likes?  If so bring documentation, especially if your putting on aftermarket parts.  We have a 99 Mazda 626 and have never been questioned (we are solidly within the rules though).  Have a Yugo or worse that you paid $600?  No one will care.   

Point is stay in the "spirit" of the rules and be honest and you should be okay.  Try to slide something by and you'll get penalty laps but still be able to run.

A good theme/bribe never hurts either

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Another option is to buy an already prepared Lemons car.  Sometimes you'll find teams moving on to new projects and are selling their cars for pennies on the dollar. Keep an eye on the cars for sale section of the forum and you might find yourself savings thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Just keep in mind that there are no loopholes that will give you a huge equipment advantage over the other teams, so make your budget numbers believable, bring documentation, and remember that team organization and driver ability counts for a lot more than hardware if you want to place high in the standings.

Much depends on the type of car. I'm not going to care much about the budget for a '71 Toyota Crown wagon or Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance, but I will care very much about the budget for one of the boring cars (E30, RX-7, Mustang, Supra, Integra, etc).

Fishah wrote:

Another option is to buy an already prepared Lemons car.  Sometimes you'll find teams moving on to new projects and are selling their cars for pennies on the dollar. Keep an eye on the cars for sale section of the forum and you might find yourself savings thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours.

Isn't there somebody represented on this thread that is selling an already prepped and proven Lemons race car...wink, wink, nudge, nudge...Said car also happens to be in the Chicago area I believe.

1993 Festiva - Class B winning Car for Sale! With spare engine/trans!<look for this under cars for sale.

Butt Sweat & Beers.

Thanks for the info guys. Already prepared for full documentation of everything so that's not a problem. Just needed a grasp on the interpretation of the rules a bit. We have two solid themes already which don't just include a racing stripe painted on which I think will help. But knowing some of the parts can be offset may tip the scale in favor of my camps car. I'll let you guys know what we've gotten ourselves into as soon as we close the deal on one.

Fishah wrote:

This is a good idea but how would we replace the countless nights, grosses of beers consumed, and endless arguments over the build of our own little piece of lemony goodness? No amount of money saved can replace this.

LyingKing wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. Already prepared for full documentation of everything so that's not a problem. Just needed a grasp on the interpretation of the rules a bit. We have two solid themes already which don't just include a racing stripe painted on which I think will help. But knowing some of the parts can be offset may tip the scale in favor of my camps car. I'll let you guys know what we've gotten ourselves into as soon as we close the deal on one.

Fishah wrote:

This is a good idea but how would we replace the countless nights, grosses of beers consumed, and endless arguments over the build of our own little piece of lemony goodness? No amount of money saved can replace this.

Sounds like you guys get it already.

Your friendly Midwestern judge/crapcan correspondent probably lives about 10 minutes down the street and is almost always happy to have a beer and talk crapcans. Just sayin'.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Also, Fishah's car is just one of many very good ones up for sale right now.

/MyOwnShamelessPromotionsAllYourClicksAreBelongToUs

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Fishah wrote:

LyingKing wrote:

Masochists...

Butt Sweat & Beers.

Also, depending on what kind of car it is, Phil might not care as much what you spend. [hint hint] Bring something from the Malaise era [/hint hint]

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

LyingKing, here are some options: race car (boring, stressful, will never be fast enough...) or suicide mission (don't care, no stress, will never be fast enough...). Our team went with the latter. We bought a Corvair, made it run (smoke), and upgraded the reliability parts (alternator, belts, shocks, safety). We went out and had a good time and still speak to each other. Fast costs money (time) and not knowing what your fabrication skill is, I would recommend buying a car that has passed inspection and fits within your comfort zone (tune up, oil change, belts or engine change, whichever it is). If the cars for sale do not fit within your theme, then find a quality place to get your cage built and focus on reliability. I also agree with FPRbuzz that if you bring something that is truly unique, no one will care what it costs. If your significant other thinks it looks cute (French), perfect. If there are no references to it on the internet, Bingo! The main goal is to have fun and join in a brotherhood where you fight to become part of the 1% (the bottom 1%).

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

LyingKing, here are some options: race car (boring, stressful, will never be fast enough...) or suicide mission (don't care, no stress, will never be fast enough...). Our team went with the latter. We bought a Corvair, made it run (smoke), and upgraded the reliability parts (alternator, belts, shocks, safety). We went out and had a good time and still speak to each other. Fast costs money (time) and not knowing what your fabrication skill is, I would recommend buying a car that has passed inspection and fits within your comfort zone (tune up, oil change, belts or engine change, whichever it is). If the cars for sale do not fit within your theme, then find a quality place to get your cage built and focus on reliability. I also agree with FPRbuzz that if you bring something that is truly unique, no one will care what it costs. If your significant other thinks it looks cute (French), perfect. If there are no references to it on the internet, Bingo! The main goal is to have fun and join in a brotherhood where you fight to become part of the 1% (the bottom 1%).

+1!

I am the fabricator on our team and like to think I'm a little better than average in my skills. We ordered a prebent cage fully intending for me to install it. It was nearly impossible to figure out how to locate it and not weld myself into a corner. Subsequently we hired a pro to install the cage, who commented on my 8 miles of floor reinforcing welds and asked why I didn't just do the cage myself as my welds looked quite good to him. Again, I truthfully didn't feel up to the task and am thankful that we went the route we did when you consider the cage is one of the single most important safety items keeping your teammates safe! Having just built our car, plan on spending WAY more than you expect and it taking 3-4 times longer than you plan for. Good luck whatever you decide to do and don't be afraid to ask for help/advice, there are plenty of seasoned guys in the Chicago area and if there's one thing I've learned in the past year, the Lemons community will literally move mountains to help another team out. It's really quite amazing to see the comraderie and assistance being offered at the track to any that might be struggling with something.

Butt Sweat & Beers.

Took the afternoon off work and went and picked up the new car. Queue the chorus of BOOOs

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105741867@N08/15433949620/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105741867@N08/15433535817/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105741867@N08/15620372812/

Yep I know another damn Miata. After trying to figure out what car would be best for our first time team this is what we chose. Boring I know but reliable. I want to be out on track as much as possible my first run at this. And the $$$ just made sense. $600 for this and some parts thrown in will make it easy to make budget. I understand the hate because I'm sure some teams in the past have run Spec Miatas that they tried to convince the judges they only have $500 in. This lady is from another cut, being used as a home for alley cats for the last two years. Don't know if she runs because there are some major under dash harness problems and she doesn't have a title but she's ours.

Thank you for being helpful and welcoming for the short time before you found out what we'll be running and maybe someday we can be friends when I decide to jump in and launch my Starion project idea. For now back to seeing if we can breathe life into this project this weekend.

Nice!  I love miatas.  Fun to drive and low hp keeps them generally on the road.  Now come up with a good theme and coordinating bribe to prevent laps.  Remember that getting it running also is supposed to count against the budget and judges generally won't do favors for miatas.  You won't win your first or second race so just drink a lot while builing and have fun.  Also check out the theme thread

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

With photos like that, Phil can't sweat you too much I don't think.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Well after a full weekend of messing with the harness which included removing some Frankenstein car alarm that was hacked into in about 5 different places it actually fired up. Guess I'll be moving over to the build thread now that we actually have a build project. Can't wait to get this thing rolling now. New wheels and tires in a couple days.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105741867@N08/15642137491/