Re: Gaffed off by Toyota Racing Development for no reason we can think of.

Parkwod60 wrote:

one of these days, one of the OEMs with a sense of humor, and a stellar Lemons track record to brag about is going to do so. I'm certain the old Volvo, from before the Ford days would have done it. Saturn may have, if they still existed. Kia probably would, if they had any track record to speak of besides the Kia pet winning class C. Mazda maybe?

I'm certain folks over at Ram would love to make a commercial featuring a certain flathead powered Dodge truck that just wouldn't die.

I think Saab pre-GM certainly would have had the right attitude...probably in the first 5 year of GM, too.

Actually, I'd think sponsorship is more of a liability than a benefit to car companies unless you are famous and can move the brand forward - what if you hurt somebody or yourself? Embarrass the brand through your behavior? Plus, what's the ROI? like zero. That said, some of the major brands have discounts on parts if you sign up with their racing programs.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

53 (edited by Profromdover 2014-10-09 06:07 AM)

Excellent observation.  Best bet may be to pull up to the local "insert your brand here" car dealer and park your complete race rig out in front of the sales area.  Make sure the tow rig has not been washed in the last 6 months.

Ask to talk to the sales manager.  Explain to him If you the unique benefits of kicking in for some trinkets or minor parts for the upcoming venue.  If he/she agrees you win!  If they refuse to acknowledge your existence and deny their company had anything to to with the racing debris on your trailer then cleverly manage to fumble for your keys as if you had lost them and now you cant move your rig.  (Another option is to disconnect your truck battery before you head inside the showroom) 

This should work like a champ.  It might help to convince them that comping a set of wiper blades and air filters are a much better alternative to engaging a lawyer and issuing a restraining order on your butt.

Seems like a pretty sound plan.

P.S.  Might want to have one of your extra drivers act as lookout for the police coming down the road...

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing
Co-Builder of the world's winningest Toyota Solara SVE

We exchange space on the Metro for advertising in exchange for donations to out charity, but the donations have been largely from non-automotive related donors. We don't actually get anything for the car, except we needed a new windshield after we broke ours during the rebuild process and a local place was going to donate, but then just gave us a good price.  So even the charity angle doesn't often work.

When we first approached a dealership in regards to our BMW, even with pretty strong connections, they politely said "no thanks".

So leveraging an awful looking tow rig in front of a stealership seems like a no lose situation!!! I see no fail with that plan...

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

It could happen.

http://teamtinyvette.kstreetstudio.com/images/CnDCover.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamie Palmer  tr6driver@yahoo.com
Austin Powerless Racing  '75 Austin Marina, 44th/IOE Summit Point '13, 35th/1st Class C CMP Fall '13, 23rd/3rd Class C CMP Spring '14, 83rd/14th Class C CMP Fall '14 (blown engine/swapped mid-race to finish), 3rd Class C CMP Spring '15, 2nd Class C CMP Fall '15
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Po … 3187341573

tr6driver wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

It's fictional, at the moment.  It could happen. Really, it could. They ignored my letter, but still....

Judge Phil wrote:

I deal with a lot of carmaker PR guys in my writing job, and I often suggest getting some factory help for Lemons teams. Right now, only Hyundai and Mitsubishi seem to willing to even consider the idea, and that's probably just because the PR flacks I know at those places are former or current Lemons racers.

I've figured this much out so far https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brOvcCtaROQ

Now I just need to decide between "Scoop" and "Ess-coupe"

Wikipedia wrote:

The name, a portmanteau of "sporty" and "coupe," was pronounced "scoop". In the UK and other countries it is known as an "S Coupé"

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

I work for one of these company's that you guys keep writing.  It's not that we don't want to help, it's that we are working like hell to get them to pay for our Lemons car.  Over the years I've helped out several race teams.  Just remember remember it's the engineers that are most likely to help and they don't have access to the checkbook, but they do have valuable knowledge.

2016 Pacific Northworst 1st in A class and overall win
2016 Arizona D-Bags 1st in A class and overall win
2015 Arse-Freeze -Apalooza 1st in C class
8 time loser and counting

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

So leveraging an awful looking tow rig in front of a stealership seems like a no lose situation!!!

That's of no help to those of us with exceptionally handsome tow rigs.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2861/13450695943_3ccef07c0d.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Time for a strong letter to the Trabant corporation. Or am I too late?

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/profromdover_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsafe30e10.jpg

Bill
Chairman Entertainment Committee - Wine O Racing, Pussy Wagon Racing, E-Wreck-Tile Dysfunction Racing
Co-Builder of the world's winningest Toyota Solara SVE

nineronesix wrote:

I work for one of these company's that you guys keep writing.  It's not that we don't want to help, it's that we are working like hell to get them to pay for our Lemons car.  Over the years I've helped out several race teams.  Just remember remember it's the engineers that are most likely to help and they don't have access to the checkbook, but they do have valuable knowledge.

What this guy said. Plus we don't have any production car engines "just lying around". Now if you're interested in an 850+hp pushrod v8,... well I also can't help you there.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

therood wrote:
Parkwod60 wrote:

I coincidentally just saw a pay out contingency check from a manufacturer for WINNING SCCA AUTOCROSS NATIONALS in class with a current production car. It was $1000. If winning a national championship they can brag about in advertisements, in a car that they are still making money on is only worth $1000, how much do you think merely racing in a 20 year old car they used to make in a series many people have never even heard of is worth to them?

To be honest, Lemons coverage on C/D gets more eyeballs than anything written about autocross anywhere. Press is the deciding factor in contingency money, no?

I wish. Then I wouldn't be completely broke right now.

Profromdover wrote:

Time for a strong letter to the Trabant corporation. Or am I too late?

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/profromdover_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsafe30e10.jpg

I'm so disappointed. We found a Trabant, asked for a wheelbase exemption, and Jay said no.

I mean, I've never been this disappointed ever in my whole entire life. I....I........I have hopes and dreams, man. They have all been crushed.

ninjacoco wrote:

I'm so disappointed. We found a Trabant, asked for a wheelbase exemption, and Jay said no.

I mean, I've never been this disappointed ever in my whole entire life. I....I........I have hopes and dreams, man. They have all been crushed.

I guess it's time for a stretch limo based Trabant Lemons race car then?

So stretch the body and put it on an MR2 chassis like everyone else.

ninjacoco wrote:

Jay refused to give me an exemption to run 150tw tires on the fuego's original TRXs. What a jerk. I had to spend literally minutes hole-sawing out the hub centers on some bent civic steelies because of that.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

EriktheAwful wrote:

So stretch the body and put it on an MR2 chassis like everyone else.

This thought has crossed my mind, s/MR2/crappy aircooled VW.

I'm coming in a little late to this but am crushed to find that Toyota is unlikely to sponsor our grease crusted Celica with Satanic wiring sad

Driving like a girl for 33 years.

Fergus' Fault wrote:

I'm coming in a little late to this but am crushed to find that Toyota is unlikely to sponsor our grease crusted Celica with Satanic wiring sad

Nice, PR, but Celica's don't have stanic wiring - that's a European thing wink

Celica owner on and off since 1982 wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

You guys inspired me!  Just emailed Elmer's PR/Marketing department.  Really hoping for a big cow sticker to put on the hood.  We did get a local shop to mount our tires for free, as long as we rattle canned their name on the side.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7440/16460090306_cd443efa1d_z.jpg
Sponsors can be obtained if you go large. The local KFC gives me free of charge all the Large dinner buckets i want(empty ones, I still have to buy the fried chicken to put inside)
We clean them up and put our bribes in them. We get lots of sporks and other free stuff too. straws, napkins etc.  Life is good for this Lemons team.

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,Winner class A The Ridge, 2022
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015