1 (edited by LittleJohn 2014-10-28 03:11 PM)

Topic: Greetings

]Hello
Just thought id drop through and introduce myself as LittleJohn.
I have decided to build a Ford Aspire into a contestant for the 2015 season of 24 Hrs Of Lemons

Re: Greetings

Is that the Ford that aspires to be a car?   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Welcome.  I think the only thing finer in an automobile would be an Aveo.  You have chosen well.

Welcome LitttleJohn.  Poor choice indeed - You're going to fit in well.

This space for rent.

will inspectors count exterior decorations into the $500  (ie: gluing model cars,trains,legos,godzilla figures)

LittleJohn wrote:

will inspectors count exterior decorations into the $500  (ie: gluing model cars,trains,legos,godzilla figures)

Theming/decorations do not count, also safety is exempt. Roll cage, seat, harness, tires, brakes and driver information all fall under safety exemption. Basically your car, the engine, the cooling and fuel delivery systems, and suspension are the main things that must fit in the $500 budget.

Butt Sweat & Beers.

much thanks jimmy. Does anyone keep their a/c? Early months might not be that bad, but i bet summer is aweful

8 (edited by OnkelUdo 2014-10-28 05:10 PM)

LittleJohn wrote:

much thanks jimmy. Does anyone keep their a/c? Early months might not be that bad, but i bet summer is aweful

Not usually.  Windows, both driver and passenger, have to be rolled down so the odds of it doing any good are poor.  Added complexity, heat dumped in front the radiator, etc make it normally unwise.

Cool suits are common in places that really get hot...or with severely wussy VW teams when the temp cracks over 72 F.

LittleJohn wrote:

Does anyone keep their a/c? Early months might not be that bad, but i bet summer is aweful

A/C won't do you much good with the windows open.   According to the rules:

3.J.9 Glass, Headlights, and Taillights.   Driver's- and passenger's-side front windows must be open.

Get yourself a cool suit.   Homemade ones can be built for little money, or you can buy the Ultra Chiller
ones on the Lemons store: http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/category-s/1844.htm
Buy the largest cooler that you can fit into your car.   It will make for longer stints and fewer ice changes.
Search the forums for information on making your own shirts and connectors to use.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

OnkelUdo wrote:
LittleJohn wrote:

Not usually.  Windows, both driver and passenger, have to be rolled down so the odds of it doing any good are poor.  Added complexity, heat dumped in front the radiator, etc make it normally unwise.

Cool suits are common in places that really get hot...or with severely wussy VW teams when the temp cracks over 72 F.

I REpreSENT that comment!! says the sweaty guy driving an 84' VW Rabbit!! Actually Lyingking, coolsuits are the way to go, even if you did have a properly working, horsepower robbing functioning AC it would do very little getting through your fire suit, which is much like wearing your grandmother's quilt to go racing in! The cool shirts work very well and you wear them under your fire suit so it is MUCH more effective! The shirts are a little pricey, around $100 each but it's a wise investment if you will be racing in anything 85 degrees plus as you certainly have enough to worry about on track without being oppressively hot and thinking about how much you'd like to get out of the car. Another thing we did for pit stops at Autobahn in July this year was to mount a box fan hanging from the pop up tent blowing in through the driver's window during pit stops as with no air movement the drivers tended to get pretty hot pretty quick. Should note that our team is notoriously slow on pit stops as most of as are easily distracted by balloons, shiny things, squirrels, etc.

Butt Sweat & Beers.

jimmy.shearer wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
LittleJohn wrote:

I REpreSENT that comment!! says the sweaty guy driving an 84' VW Rabbit!! Actually Lyingking, coolsuits are the way to go, even if you did have a properly working, horsepower robbing functioning AC it would do very little getting through your fire suit, which is much like wearing your grandmother's quilt to go racing in! The cool shirts work very well and you wear them under your fire suit so it is MUCH more effective! The shirts are a little pricey, around $100 each but it's a wise investment if you will be racing in anything 85 degrees plus as you certainly have enough to worry about on track without being oppressively hot and thinking about how much you'd like to get out of the car. Another thing we did for pit stops at Autobahn in July this year was to mount a box fan hanging from the pop up tent blowing in through the driver's window during pit stops as with no air movement the drivers tended to get pretty hot pretty quick. Should note that our team is notoriously slow on pit stops as most of as are easily distracted by balloons, shiny things, squirrels, etc.

SQUIRREL!!!!!!

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

jimmy.shearer wrote:

Should note that our team is notoriously slow on pit stops as most of as are easily distracted by balloons, shiny things, squirrels, etc.

You ran enough laps to require a pit stop?

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

What is the wheel base of an Aspire.  Just curious cause there is a minimum wheelbase rule that most not tiny european cars pass easily but might as well check.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

14 (edited by jimmy.shearer 2014-11-03 05:12 PM)

yukadas wrote:
jimmy.shearer wrote:

Should note that our team is notoriously slow on pit stops as most of as are easily distracted by balloons, shiny things, squirrels, etc.

You ran enough laps to require a pit stop?

We consider it a pit stop if we leave the track and come into the paddock for any reason. Any reason whatsoever, grenaded transmission, nuked head gasket(twice now), failing water pump, lost blow by filter causing oil to spray on the exhaust manifold resulting in copious smoke, loose exhaust system, failing alternator, broken throttle cable, etc. etc. Oh, and someday we're hoping to actually need fuel during one of these "stops."

Butt Sweat & Beers.

15 (edited by ninjacoco 2014-11-03 06:32 PM)

Pfft, we aircooled fartknockers sweat it out. No watercoolin', no how. Not even for drivers!

If I could un-watercool the 944, too, I would.

tl;dr--welcome!

BoB wrote:

What is the wheel base of an Aspire.  Just curious cause there is a minimum wheelbase rule that most not tiny european cars pass easily but might as well check.

90.7" or 93.9", depending on how many doors it has.

The Aspire is really nothing more than a curvier, second generation of the Ford Festiva, which has proven itself a fairly good racecar.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.