1 (edited by jimmy.shearer 2014-10-29 07:47 PM)

Topic: How not to do turn 6 at Gingerman

This was my pucker moment at Gingerman, tapped the brakes in a really bad spot and it put the car into snap oversteer. My fault for sure, lucky the consequences weren't more severe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iow5J7CPXE

A big thank you to "Nothing Hotter Than A Cougar" for not collecting me as they were right behind at the moment.

Butt Sweat & Beers.

Re: How not to do turn 6 at Gingerman

the Mk1 is a surprisingly oversteery platform. nice save (-:

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

3 (edited by Spinnetti 2014-10-30 08:29 AM)

meh, just another day at Gingerman... What kind of car? your dash/prep looks very pro.... need you to wire up mine for me smile After watching your vids, you have way too much rear roll stiffness. If nothing else, lower your rear tire pressures and see if you get more rational breakaway.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

IF that is a Mk 1 VW then you want the rear stiff. What you did was take a totally wrong line into #6 which forced you to brake as you mentioned which caused weight to shift to the front at the worst time. The fact that you didn't swap ends only means that the car is not tail happy and not too stiff back there.
Take a better line into #6 and this won't happen.

jimbbski wrote:

IF that is a Mk 1 VW then you want the rear stiff. What you did was take a totally wrong line into #6 which forced you to brake as you mentioned which caused weight to shift to the front at the worst time. The fact that you didn't swap ends only means that the car is not tail happy and not too stiff back there.
Take a better line into #6 and this won't happen.

Thanks Jimbbski for the good advice, I know I took the turn badly as referenced in my thread title. I'm still a noob and have much to learn, this was only my second racing experience and I'm happy to say I have yet to receive a black flag, on this little excursion I did self report to the penalty box. The car is a MK1, has a pretty substantial rear sway bar as well as 330lb springs so it is anything but soft in the rear. Still, it is a bit tail happy as we have a 22 gal cell installed behind the rear axle beam and at the time were running a full fuel load in an attempt to determine our fuel consumption rate as this was only our second race. All of that being said, my hope is to get advice and sage wisdom bestowed upon me by posting videos of me screwing up.

Butt Sweat & Beers.

Been there done that

http://youtu.be/qw8kms7E8R0?list=UUc89H … CKpQVEf7CA

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

Great save! Just how many turns does that steering rack have? You twisted more times than a drunk OAP on a wet dancefloor at an Elvis convention. Or something.

was that on saturday during the fun with oil and water?  Pretty sure all of us out there did that at some point.  I was just catching a tank slapper one time to see the grand prix in front of me doing the exact same thing.  Kind of felt bad for the car behind me who probably thought he was doomed.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Well I do own a Mk II Scriocco that I club race when I'm not helping out local Lemons teams so if you want some help on making rabbits run I think I can help you.

That rear cell is going to affect the cars balance and may require a change in chassis set up from what a "normal" VW would use.

jimbbski wrote:

Well I do own a Mk II Scriocco that I club race when I'm not helping out local Lemons teams so if you want some help on making rabbits run I think I can help you.

That rear cell is going to affect the cars balance and may require a change in chassis set up from what a "normal" VW would use.

That's a great offer Jimbbski, I will definitely take you up on any advice/help you can give us! We are willing to pay in fine craft beer or other favors that we are capable of delivering! The car is really twitchy on the brakes and in a straight line I saw a teammate lock up the inside rear in a straight line coming into turn 11 at Gingerman. On Sunday morning it appeared as if the front driver's wheel had a bit of positive camber, not really sure where that came from as we had never noticed it before, maybe a couple of my teammates off track excursions on Saturday contributed. In any case, we adjusted that Sunday but she is still a handful for sure. I'll pm you, maybe we can get together and you can take a look at the car and tell us what you think? Thanks again for the offer of assistance, I'm always amazed at how great this Lemons community is and thankful I get to be a part of it.

Butt Sweat & Beers.