Topic: Snow Blowers

Hey, I figure this is as good of a place as any to ask about all things motorized.  I'm in the process of buying a house with my fiancee, we close on Dec 1st and the 1st thing I plan to buy before the shit hits the fan is a snow blower (considering the past few winters we have had here).  The house has a sloped driveway so I would like a powered one.  I've been looking at the 24 inch offerings from Craftsman, Troy-bilt, Toro, and Husquvara.  They are all in the $600 or so range, but the online reviews vary.  Any recommendations?

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Re: Snow Blowers

No recommendations but being the crappy little one I bought when I bought my house has been useless the last couple years I'm curious myself.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I'd pick up a old Ariens on Craigslist, throw in a new plug and enjoy.  The old ones are built like tanks.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Alternatively, if you can find ANY way to justify a lawn tractor get a use Cub Cadet and a plow blade.  Yes, John Deere offers them as well but the machines with the pivots and lift are much larger.

How proactive are you?  The largest Toro electric snow blower can keep up with 6" of light powder or 4" of wet snow.

Personally, even in the lake effect of Lake Michigan, I prefer to shovel.  It keeps me fit, busy and acclimated to the cold.  This last year it did get challenging when the piles were over 6' on either side of the driveway but I just made sure to shovel every 2" of snowfall,

squidrope wrote:

I'd pick up a old Ariens on Craigslist, throw in a new plug and enjoy.  The old ones are built like tanks.

Back when I lived in that crap, Ariens was the only way to go.  The older ones last forever.  My younger brother is still using the one my dad bought back in the 60's.

bs

I got an Airens a couple of years ago.  Only used it three or four times but its works well.

Mpyre wrote:

I got an Airens a couple of years ago.  Only used it three or four times but its works well.

What...California...Bay Area no less!  Are you allowed to comment on snow blowers without losing your medical marijuana card?  I mean I sure there is snow, and blowing, there but we are talking about stuff that naturally falls from the sky, is cold and was a topic in less popular John Hughes film (bonus if you know the quote).

OnkelUdo wrote:

What...California...Bay Area no less!  Are you allowed to comment on snow blowers without losing your medical marijuana card?  I mean I sure there is snow, and blowing, there but we are talking about stuff that naturally falls from the sky, is cold and was a topic in less popular John Hughes film (bonus if you know the quote).

The snow in California is very well-behaved.   It stays up on the mountains, where you can visit it if you like.   But it does not come down and bother decent folk.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

I typically like to research my purchases, especially home appliances, TVs, mowers..... And snowblowers.

Well, last year I get home after spending all Sunday afternoon working on the Lemons car, and the wife has it in her head we are going to get a snowblower... NOW!!!!  "The mother of all storms is bearing down on us and I'm not shoveling anymore!", says the wife.  Now granted, we had been married 16 years at this point and had never owned a snowblower.   Unfortunately, the only place open at 6pm on Sunday is Lowe's.  So off we go.

We get to Lowe's, and of course, I'm immediately drawn to a nice two stage unit. Wife says. "No, too big."
After much discussion (5 mins) she points to a single stage Troy-Bilt.  At this point I'm hungry and just want to go home. So I say "fine". Guy asks if I want to put it together or by one of the 10 pre-built ones for $50 more.  Wife, "we don't have time to put it together."  I'm thinking, "#1, We?.. And #2, yes I do!"   But I keep my mouth shut, grab a snowblower and roll it to the checkout.  I pay the man some money and cram it in the back of the Honda Pilot as it starts to snow. 

We drive home and the wife can tell I'm not pleased.  I express my frustration with the lack of time to research, and that I probably paid an 18-year old kid to assemble my snow throwing machine. She suggests I should get over it. Before we know it we're home and unloading the blower of snow.  I pull of the tags and put oil and gas in it.  It has an electric start, but has to be plugged into the wall, so I give it a try and lo-and-behold it starts right up!  My mindset is starting to change, and by this time we have 2 inches of snow and it's coming down pretty good.

Wife says, "aren't you glad we got it?"  Me, "Yeah.. Good idea.." 

So, I start to make a few passes and the thing chugs along nicely but certainly doesn't have the distance of a two stage blower.  I get 4 passes in and all of a sudden.... "Clank! Grrrrrrrrr...".  The GD wheel falls off!!!!  By this time it is blowing 20mph and the damned snow is coming down hard.  I drag the god-forsaken snow non-blower into the garage and go back and find the wheel, press-on nut, bearing and washer while combing through the snow with bare hands.  I proceed to sound like the father from The Christmas Story (or whatever it's called) as it is apparent the said 18 year Neanderthal who put this together bungled it up.  After persuasion with vice grips and a large rubber mallet I manage to get the wheel to stay on.

Apparently, my wife has heard me, and so has my neighbor, as they both have come out to see why I'm swearing.  I explain my frustration, put back on my gloves and hat, and finish blowing the damned snow.

Thankfully, with some TLC, the snowblower continues to chuck snow for us, but my wife will NEvER try to persuade me to buy something in that way again.

THE END

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Thankfully, with some TLC, the snowblower continues to chuck snow for us, but my wife will NEvER try to persuade me to buy something in that way again.

THE END

Yes she will.  It will be some time but if you procrastinate beyond her level of comfort, you will again be forced into such a purchase.  So the moral of the story is...

Buy your toys in the off-seasons!  Get what you want.  Make sure the SO CAN learn to use it if they ever have to or you WILL regret it more.

From experience:

Working in Iraq, giant ice storm downs power lines in OK.  Wife walks to the water heater closet and pushes the big red button until the lights come on.  Emails me that I am the best husband ever.

I email her back "As soon as the ice clear call the propane company at 555-5555 to bring a short truck and fill your 100 gal pony tank."

Two days later power comes back and as suspected, she forgets.  June comes and my calender reminder tells me to remind her again "Get propane" and I do remind her.  Back home in October for a week I ask "Have you refilled the Propane" she says not to worry she will do it after I leave.

December rolls around and Outlook reminds me again "get Propane" and wife tells me she has it under control.

Late January a 1000 year ice storm hits OK.  Tulsa looses 1/2 its trees.  Wife walks to the water heater closet and hits the big red button until the lights come on and heat kicks in.  Emails me to tell me what a wonderful husband I am.  2 AM in the morning email "why did the generator quit"...response "Did you get the propane tank filled"...radio silence.

"OK, go to the garage behind the spare wheels for the Volvo and grab the hen house heater...it has the wrench required and an instruction sheet attached"

Wife "Gave that to the neighbors last year because I felt sorry for them."

I am now, 5 years later, divorced.  Other moral of the story is, the $150 NG conversion kit is worth it just to shut her up.

11 (edited by RogueLeader 2014-10-31 04:37 PM)

Just had the discussion with the fiance about it, She basically said buy whatever you want, but then I showed her the two stage 24" Ariens at $859 and she was like "seriously"  I took that to mean try again.  So I'm gonna troll craigslist.

I have seen this "Snow-Tek by Ariens" brand thats a bit cheaper and sold in normal stores.  I can get a similar one around $600, anyone have any experience with them?

Duuuuuude... Keep the pricey one and take the heat in the short term, you be happy you won't be putting back together and nursing a snow thrower that Troy built.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

RogueLeader wrote:

Just had the discussion with the fiance about it, She basically said buy whatever you want, but then I showed her the two stage 24" Ariens at $859 and she was like "seriously"  I took that to mean try again.  So I'm gonna troll craigslist.

I have seen this "Snow-Tek by Ariens" brand thats a bit cheaper and sold in normal stores.  I can get a similar one around $600, anyone have any experience with them?

You get what you pay for.  For a couple hundred bucks, buy the Ariens.

bs

I'd be careful with the new one.  Most lawnmowers are made by the same company (MTD?) and quality of all brands has suffered.  I'd bet SB are the same.  Buy an old tank of CL.

What Squidrope said.

I bought a 1962 Ariens off of CL for $125.  It ran, but needed tinkering, and was hard to start.  We didn't have any snow worth blowing for 2 years but then for the 3rd year I thought I'd really get it going.  Taking it apart a bit, the gears and whatnot in the bottom end is built stronger than what's in my Honda Civic.  The body is rust free, everything works, etc.  The motor was tired though, compression was down, it was hard to stat and to regulate the throttle, and loud as an RX7.  I then saw that Harbor Freight had their Honda copy 212cc engines on sale, and with a coupon I picked on up for about $87.  It fit almost perfectly in place of the old Tucumsuh (sp?) engine that was on it.  Seriously.  Bolt patterns were the same, output shaft diameter was the same, and in the same place so the pulley went right on and fit perfectly.  All I had to do was make a new bracket for the level that turns the chute. 

So, now for a total investment of about $210, I have a snowblower built like a tank, with a new motor that starts right up, has a self regulated throttle, and is quiet.  It also has no safety features at all, being from 1962.  Unlike the new ones where you have to be holding three levels and 2 switches to make it work, this one will just keep going with no hands on it until you stop it, so it's not for idiots, and Tom you're borderline sometimes, so be careful!  big_smile

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Sonic wrote:

What Squidrope said.

I bought a 1962 Ariens off of CL for $125.  It ran, but needed tinkering, and was hard to start.  We didn't have any snow worth blowing for 2 years but then for the 3rd year I thought I'd really get it going.  Taking it apart a bit, the gears and whatnot in the bottom end is built stronger than what's in my Honda Civic.  The body is rust free, everything works, etc.  The motor was tired though, compression was down, it was hard to stat and to regulate the throttle, and loud as an RX7.  I then saw that Harbor Freight had their Honda copy 212cc engines on sale, and with a coupon I picked on up for about $87.  It fit almost perfectly in place of the old Tucumsuh (sp?) engine that was on it.  Seriously.  Bolt patterns were the same, output shaft diameter was the same, and in the same place so the pulley went right on and fit perfectly.  All I had to do was make a new bracket for the level that turns the chute. 

So, now for a total investment of about $210, I have a snowblower built like a tank, with a new motor that starts right up, has a self regulated throttle, and is quiet.  It also has no safety features at all, being from 1962.  Unlike the new ones where you have to be holding three levels and 2 switches to make it work, this one will just keep going with no hands on it until you stop it, so it's not for idiots, and Tom you're borderline sometimes, so be careful!  big_smile

Seriously dude, you know me well enough to know that this plan will likely end in my decapitation.

I'll throw my vote in for the used craigslist purchase.  People are getting rid of stuff all the time that just needs a tune up or some Seafoam in the tank.

If I were to buy new, I'd go with a reputable brand.  Ariens seems to be the go-to brand for most people who've had a few.  My dad has one and it serves him well.

As for me, my father-in-law works for Sears.  So he has a Craftsman.  And I have his OLD Craftsman.  (He got his new one as a door prize at a Christmas party or something.)  Before that, I had somebody else's old Toro that I got for free.  Sure, the electric start was busted.  But it ran OK.

The older ones genuinely seem to be built better.

Oh, nobody has said this but: how big is your driveway?  If it's longer and/or wider than two cars, you may want to upgrade the width.  That's all about how many passes it will take to clear your driveway.  I've mostly had dinky 22" or 24" units.  You'd be surprised how many passes it takes with one of those.  But my driveway wasn't very long.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Racin_G73 wrote:

I'll throw my vote in for the used craigslist purchase.  People are getting rid of stuff all the time that just needs a tune up or some Seafoam in the tank.

If I were to buy new, I'd go with a reputable brand.  Ariens seems to be the go-to brand for most people who've had a few.  My dad has one and it serves him well.

As for me, my father-in-law works for Sears.  So he has a Craftsman.  And I have his OLD Craftsman.  (He got his new one as a door prize at a Christmas party or something.)  Before that, I had somebody else's old Toro that I got for free.  Sure, the electric start was busted.  But it ran OK.

The older ones genuinely seem to be built better.

Oh, nobody has said this but: how big is your driveway?  If it's longer and/or wider than two cars, you may want to upgrade the width.  That's all about how many passes it will take to clear your driveway.  I've mostly had dinky 22" or 24" units.  You'd be surprised how many passes it takes with one of those.  But my driveway wasn't very long.

It would be for a 2 car wide/4 car deep sloped driveway.  Could probably get 6 cars on if we park close.  Also a couple of brick paths (so plastic shoes are important to prevent damage).

I'm tossing back and forth between the Craftsman and the Arians (if I go new) theres about a $200 difference, and most friends locally use Craftsman and don't have any problems.  I've looked used as well and have found a few Arians that would fit the bill in the $400 range.  But the whole warranty of the Craftsman for a few bucks more is enticing.  The net cost after discount of a 24" 208cc Craftsman is about $627 before tax, where the 24" 208cc Arians is $840 (after buying replacement plastic runners for the brick).

The question is who builds craftsman snowblowers.  I found this is typically the thing you need to research when buying anything from sears.  Sometimes you get a great deal, sometimes you don't

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I don't believe in snow.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

RogueLeader wrote:

Hey, I figure this is as good of a place as any to ask about all things motorized.  I'm in the process of buying a house with my fiancee, we close on Dec 1st and the 1st thing I plan to buy before the shit hits the fan is a snow blower (considering the past few winters we have had here).  The house has a sloped driveway so I would like a powered one.  I've been looking at the 24 inch offerings from Craftsman, Troy-bilt, Toro, and Husquvara.  They are all in the $600 or so range, but the online reviews vary.  Any recommendations?

I have a 24 inch craftsman and it does quite well, Of course as soon as I got it, Winters started getting dry as the moisture has started shifting up to where you are lately. So I use it like twice a season.

Never ever take an electric start lightly, In the bitter cold, you'll be glad you have it.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Another vote for CL. you can find a lot of people that think they're broken when the engine just needs a plug and the carb cleaned out.

I bought an MTD off a co-worker last year for $80 with a busted auger transmission gear set. I think I paid $40 for parts, rebuilt the gear box, and it's good as new. No way I'd go spend $600+ for a new one.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Bigger/beefier is better.  You don't want to be that guy who spends half an hour getting through the snow bank left by the plow.

Guildenstern wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

I have a 24 inch craftsman and it does quite well, Of course as soon as I got it, Winters started getting dry as the moisture has started shifting up to where you are lately. So I use it like twice a season.

Never ever take an electric start lightly, In the bitter cold, you'll be glad you have it.

Ohh its almost guaranteed that as soon as I get this thing snow will become extinct in this region

RogueLeader wrote:

Ohh its almost guaranteed that as soon as I get this thing snow will become extinct in this region

Unless you also own a snow machine or a WRX with snow tires, the cost of a snowblower is a small price to pay for not having excessive snow.