Topic: Anyone been to a Mecum auction?

They are bringing the show to Austin and I wanted to go.  Mostly out of curiosity but might be trying to sell a car or two via an auction in the future and who knows I might see something I couldn't live without.   I see the tickets are $20, so $40 for me and the wife to go.  Then I thought about registering to bid and saw the $100 fee.  So minimum is $140 or do they give you some tickets if you register to bid for the $100? 

Anyone been and or bid before?  Any deals to be had or just skip the bid stuff and pay the $40 for a car show?

Teamgravy Racing > join us please @ http://www.facebook.com/Teamgravy

IOE winner & 2nd place Class C - North Dallas Hooptie 2013
2nd place Class C - Gator-o-Rama 2013

Re: Anyone been to a Mecum auction?

I'd have no problem selling a car there but not sure I'd buy one.  Some of the cars belong to Dana.  My problem is that you never know which ones are his which kinda makes me skeptical about these being "arms length" type transactions.  The auction biz is not full of virtuous characters but Dana seems better than some of them.  People watching is kinda fun at these.  Oh and they have cool cars.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I went to the Dallas one last year (or the year before?). It was fun but I didn't register to bid. Lots of fun cars to look at, some I'd never seen in person or up close & personal before (Carrera GT comes to mind among others).  For the first time, I'd probably just consider it a fun car show and get the lay of the land. If you really get interested, then go to Scottsdale in January smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks for the info guys. I will prob just go to car/people watch.  I figured If I saw something I couldn't live without, I could find someone to take my money. 

I don't usually like the idea of auction cars (not getting full once over, no driving before buying etc.) but I did pick up an old car I am hoping to double my money on from ebay so not gonna be closed minded about auction cars anymore. 

Not sure I want to go compete at Scottsdale tho.  What auctions are going to be the best for buyers, smaller ones I would think (smaller audience).

Teamgravy Racing > join us please @ http://www.facebook.com/Teamgravy

IOE winner & 2nd place Class C - North Dallas Hooptie 2013
2nd place Class C - Gator-o-Rama 2013

I went last year to look over a couple of cars that a friend was looking at for him. It was cool, got to see some really cool cars and some hideous trash that stupid people with too much money built.

After the car goes through, you may see a phone number, or even the owner standing there, trying to sell it, sometimes there are decent deals, sometimes it's collectors looking to get top dollar for non-top dollar cars.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs