Topic: Chose are 1st Lemons car and it turns out to be very rare....

Well my buddies and I have been trying to find are first Lemons car for the last 4 months.  I had the choices between a 78 Mazda GLC, Datsun F10 or a 63 or 64 Toyota Tiara. Well we decided on the Mazda but after expecting more it was completely rusted out on the bottom. We expected the F10 and Tiara and they had sound floors and mostly all there. So we decided on the Tiara because it was RWD and figured it would be easy to throw an engine into it. well after dragging in it and getting into the shop and cleaning it, we decided to investigate are new found car. Well after researching a bickering at each other for awhile, we came to find out that there was 318 shipped to the US! The car is mostly there. The engine is locked up for sure. Its missing a lot of its trim but all the windows and window trim is all there. The is body pretty straight and mostly rust free. Its basically a good parts car for someone who is looking for body parts. I cant find any type of pricing let alone 1 for sale in the US for a ball park figure. Do we say screw the collectors and chop it up and try making it into awesome Lemons car or storing it and try using the F10?

Re: Chose are 1st Lemons car and it turns out to be very rare....

yeah, don't jack that one up... its probably not worth all that much,but a shame to hack it as there are so few of them. Go for the F10

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

The Tiara is an automatic IOE contender.  But then again so would the F10.  I'm sure Phil will jump in but pretty much either car won't have budget worries.  As to concerns about rarity,  I guess it depends on how far you go with it.  Just keep in mind that even if you LeMonized a car with the worst reputation and huge production numbers, there will always be someone out there that talks about the "idiot who ruined an ashtray delete, 3 on the tree, vomit green, 6 cylinder Pinto with AC" because they only made 6 with those options.  A Bugatti Royale is rare.  Everything else is uncommon.  I kind of went through the "do I, or don't I" with the Sunbeam Imp.  I tried not to hack anything that couldn't be put back the way it was after I'm done with it.  Ignore the haters, drop a 20R drivetrain in there and have fun.  I'm guessing that it's 4 wheel drum so you probably don't want to get too crazy with engine power.

Or sell it and use the money to buy some FWD V8 drivetrain, stuff it in the F10 and do burnouts down the straights like a FWD Don Garlits

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Cheeseroo's advice will never steer you wrong.

Go for it.

#rareversusuncommon

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

All of those choices are good. Don't worry about hacking up a "rare" car for Lemons, because anything cheap enough for Lemons has a 90% chance of being crushed soon anyway.

My first car was a '69 Toyota Corona, and the Tiara being an earlier version of the Corona makes me vote for it as your race car.

Judge Phil wrote:

Don't worry about hacking up a "rare" car for Lemons, because
anything cheap enough for Lemons has a 90% chance of being crushed
soon anyway.

This is the same advice Judge Phil gave me when I was considering
the Super Snipe.   Take that for what you think it is worth.

I did, however, sell $137 worth of oddball parts to a restorer after
the first one was rolled at Chuckwalla.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Old hotrodders motto:  "anyone can restore a rare car: it takes a real man to cut one up..."  wink

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

Thank you guys for the advice. Were going to run it. Are main concern is finding a engine that will work for the first thing. It has a front engine mount and a transmission mount from what I could see around the bush that grew around the engine.... kind of oddball from what I have seen for automobiles.

Wish you could run the GLC - that was my first car. Found out after I sold it that RX-7 parts are an easy bolt-in.

The Tiara should have a Toyota R engine, which means you should be in good shape finding drivetrain stuff-- they made the R for close to 50 years, and Toyota tended to keep stuff like engine mount locations and bellhousing patterns the same for decades. If the SOHC 20R or 22R fits, you'll have an easy time finding engines. The earlier pushrod engines are a little harder to find, but they're out there.

Ive been looking for a GLC. Is it for sale? Id be eternally grateful for a lead on one.
Thanks
Manny.

One hot Tehachapi day in the Summer of '87, my sister and I got bored and decided to paint her faded brown GLC with rattle cans of fluorescent green paint. Looked like crap. So we pitched in money from our landscaping jobs and took it to Earl Scheib in Bakersfield and got the most obnoxious, bright, VW fluorescent green paint job we could for 49.99. We took it home and used some leftover pink paint from my Bakersfield Speedway Mercury Montego Enduro car and painted all the trim. Butt Terrible. But she loved that car. She says she still misses it. Drove it the rest of the way through high school. We had a great bonding moment doing that. We had never gotten along until we did that little project.
That is the same summer we cut the roof off my Grams 68 Olds 98 and painted it bright yellow. I was dating a cheerleader then too. Good times.

Now I want a GLC. And and Olds 98.

The Tiara would look great next to the Snipe. Go for it.

oneyeiversen wrote:

Well my buddies and I have been trying to find are first Lemons car for the last 4 months.  I had the choices between a 78 Mazda GLC, Datsun F10 or a 63 or 64 Toyota Tiara. Well we decided on the Mazda but after expecting more it was completely rusted out on the bottom. We expected the F10 and Tiara and they had sound floors and mostly all there. So we decided on the Tiara because it was RWD and figured it would be easy to throw an engine into it. well after dragging in it and getting into the shop and cleaning it, we decided to investigate are new found car. Well after researching a bickering at each other for awhile, we came to find out that there was 318 shipped to the US! The car is mostly there. The engine is locked up for sure. Its missing a lot of its trim but all the windows and window trim is all there. The is body pretty straight and mostly rust free. Its basically a good parts car for someone who is looking for body parts. I cant find any type of pricing let alone 1 for sale in the US for a ball park figure. Do we say screw the collectors and chop it up and try making it into awesome Lemons car or storing it and try using the F10?

Trust me, we race 2 "rare" cars....rare does not always, and usually doesn't equate to valuable...

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

chevette wrote:

Trust me, we race 2 "rare" cars....rare does not always, and usually doesn't equate to valuable...

No!  Don't say that out loud!  I'm prepared to consider very high offers for our rare and therefore valuable race car.

Sigh.  No, that's not true.  I'm too fond of it to let it go.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
chevette wrote:

No!  Don't say that out loud!  I'm prepared to consider very high offers for our rare and therefore valuable race car.

Same situation with my Super Snipe.   It is the only race-prepared Super Snipe
in the country, perhaps the world, yet nobody has come offering briefcases full
of money.  sad

What could possibly be wrong?

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:
mharrell wrote:
chevette wrote:

Same situation with my Super Snipe.   It is the only race-prepared Super Snipe
in the country, perhaps the world, yet nobody has come offering briefcases full
of money.  sad

What could possibly be wrong?

I know.  Race prepped Isuzu imark diesel.  Should be mega bucks.  And the patina should be worth a little...but not so much.

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

Well I was wrong on the engine mount being weird. It just had too much dirt around the front of the motor for me to see it properly. For being in South Dakota and finding anything older Toyota thats cheap, rwd and runs, was kinda hard. so I took the cheaper easier route and  I ended up buying a 89 Ranger with a 2.3 and 5 speed for like $40 or 3 cases of beer.  Probably not the most original route but I gotta work with I can afford. I have a good feeling the brakes and suspension parts are going to ruin my already $0.00 budget (I'm finding out that having a baby is way more expensive than this and ate up my budget instantly). I'll post a couple of pics of the tiara later tonight

Sell the Toyota, shorten the Ranger's frame, and put the Datsun on top, if you haven't already made your decision. big_smile

mharrell: Yeah, SAABs are like that.

{ googles }

It's...ADORABLE!!!

Ohmygosh, you have to run the Tiara. Have to. ADORABLE!

I've searched for the last couple of months for ball joints suspension bushing and brakes with no luck. So time for plan G. Plans B-F failed pretty quickly. I know a person that knows a person that will teach me to build custom control arms. I will probably run chevy spindles that the guy has lying around. After that, the only obstacle that's left is trying to figure out how to rework the steering. So the Tiara will be sitting for quit awhile.

Are there any easy-to-find-at-the-junkyard front suspension subframes you could just graft into the thing? Perhaps a Miata?

oneyeiversen wrote:

I've searched for the last couple of months for ball joints suspension bushing and brakes with no luck. So time for plan G. Plans B-F failed pretty quickly. I know a person that knows a person that will teach me to build custom control arms. I will probably run chevy spindles that the guy has lying around. After that, the only obstacle that's left is trying to figure out how to rework the steering. So the Tiara will be sitting for quit awhile.

Get out the tape measure and camera, post pictures and dimensions here.

Somebody will figure out something cheap that can had on the List of Craig for a few hundred bucks that can be made to fit and will have spare parts available at OtterZone.

Just add MIG welder.

Some Assembly Required. Batteries not Included.