Topic: Black flag and a good lesson for new people

https://vimeo.com/114944210

I was sure the truck was going straight but I still hung back , the black car may have been parked for this . I also got the BF and I won't ever do that again .

Re: Black flag and a good lesson for new people

I been there, but didn't do what the black car and you did tho. At Autobahn, me and a RX-7 in front of me where following a tow vehicle  with no car in tow on the long straight and the RX-7. We both hanged back waiting on the for the truck driver to give us some sign.  We both gingerly (not flooring it) around  the truck and got BF later.  We were at fault cause on top of our stupidity, we where waiting for a point by from the truck.  I say this cause Gingerman faithfully give point by's during tows so cars can go around (not flooring it) during the yellow.

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

Yep bad call but no yellow you can see the flagger in the vid. My brother said its down hill that's why the truck could leave the dead car and let him coast.

I posted this bad move so other new drivers can learn.

2 hrs latter I'm watching the race and saw the tow truck make that right and then it hit me oh shit, I messed up.

Thanks for the lesson

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

To further complicate this in the last season or two they have been using white flags in conjunction with yellows. I have been told that you can pass the tow vehicles when they show a white flag but I still wait for something from the tow truck drivers. I only actually pass them where I can see far around them in case they are pushing a hooptie or may be coming up to a blown up crapcan.

I never want to put the safety crew in any uncomfortable situations and appreciate all they do for us.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

I've never seen a tow vehicle give a point by under yellow or white.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

7 (edited by RobL 2014-12-20 11:08 AM)

I thought I typed something up before...  Passing EVs is a track by track thing.  Some say don't unless the driver points you by and others say it's OK without the point.  That's one of the reasons that the drivers meeting is important.  The flags for the EV will also typically be discussed as some tracks only do a following waving yellow w/white and others will do a full course yellow while hot pulls are done. 

My little PUY: http://youtu.be/7VsOtHV2qMA

We were at the cause of the yellow and the Mer ahead of me pulled off to the right directly behind the tow truck as traffic stopped for no good reason.  I had to dodge left.  Perspective is a little off with this camera - there was plenty of room.  I paused so the Mer could get back in line but he didn't move so I continued on.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Our team goal next race is no black flags. We will back the pace down and really look for the flag stations or other cues that a flag may exist. We will still pass hundreds of times smile

Clues you are about to be black flagged;

1) I have been chasing this guy and now he seems easy to pass, that's a clue that he backed off time to look for a missed flag.

2) watch the tow trucks and see what they do so you are not surprised while on the track.

3) I think we have lots of fast and skilled drivers but you have to plan your pass. If I had a nickel for every time I backed off in the s's and up the hill to turn 2/3 and the chicane to prevent an accident I could buy a new fender that the bmw caved in in the chicane. We don't have hp but after 5 corners chasing me a driver should know I can out brake him. The point is he hit me so hard he went through the dirt which you can see in the other vid, and he was blacked flagged . He blew the corner for no other reason then I was faster 80 percent of the time. That does not mean t bone the guy because he is faster.

FPRbuzz wrote:

I've only raced in California and they use the same safety crew for Sonoma, T-hill, and Buttonwillow. So they are pretty consistent.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

10 (edited by squidbreath 2014-12-21 10:06 AM)

You have to realize the black car is in kamikaze theme, it was December 7 - Pearl Harbor day, and the truck does look a lot like an aircraft carrier.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

rr4298 wrote:

https://vimeo.com/114944210

I was sure the truck was going straight but I still hung back , the black car may have been parked for this . I also got the BF and I won't ever do that again .

Quite frankly, I think the tow driver was at fault here.  White flag is out, not a yellow, which means you can pass a tow vehicle (under control, of course).  The tow vehicle is all the way to the left, so he decides to just turn right across traffic without warning?

I think the safety people need to be just as aware of the rules as we do.  Heck, they should be even more aware.  In this case, the tow vehicle probably should have given some indication that they were going to dart across the track.

Just because you're driving a safety vehicle doesn't mean you should do moronic things.  In this case, abrupt right turn across traffic while there is a flag being displayed saying it's ok for that traffic to pass you, sorry, I don't think you can pin this all on the drivers in this case.

bs

Going two-wide next to a safety vehicle (three wide if you count them) is the main thing that jumps out to me.  That part of the track isn't particularly wide.  Seems like a good time to be single file.

13 (edited by rr4298 2014-12-21 11:28 PM)

kornfeld wrote:

Going two-wide next to a safety vehicle (three wide if you count them) is the main thing that jumps out to me.  That part of the track isn't particularly wide.  Seems like a good time to be single file.

We are not three wide or even close and I am completely behind the truck but on the gas.
The black car was more aggressive and pulled alongside on a white flag.

To be fair  , this happened because the tow truck was pushing (yes in contact) with the car you perceive as three wide, but he had already exited onto the pit lane.

I thought the tow truck  would stay wide and continue to push but I was not convinced so I was behind. The reason I seem close is the tow truck slammed his brakes to go right .

I'm not saying I'm right just giving more details. I respect the safety people and appreciate what they do for us. My mistake was pursuing the car that had clearly blocked any right turn option for the tow truck.

I do think it was odd that the truck went from far left toward the apex. He could have just as easily swung into the outfield and made his right turn beyond the cones or maintained his turn in the 2nd or third lane.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

I understand that the flatbed had finished pushing a car to pit in and was circulating back to his staging spot, but I don't understand why he makes a move toward the apex of that turn.  There are hundreds of yards of asphalt to drive on at that turn and no need to even be on the racing surface at that point.

It seems like the recovery vehicle driving at SP is wildly inconsistent.  Varying from predictable and courteous to downright douche-y.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

rr4298 wrote:
kornfeld wrote:

We are not three wide or even close and I am completely behind the truck but on the gas.
The black car was more aggressive and pulled alongside on a white flag.

To be fair  , this happened because the tow truck was pushing (yes in contact) with the car you perceive as three wide, but he had already exited onto the pit lane.

I thought the tow truck  would stay wide and continue to push but I was not convinced so I was behind. The reason I seem close is the tow truck slammed his brakes to go right .

I'm not saying I'm right just giving more details. I respect the safety people and appreciate what they do for us. My mistake was pursuing the car that had clearly blocked any right turn option for the tow truck.

Fair enough.  I should have said "attempting to go three wide." Surely you would agree that you aren't single file with the car in front of you? And that you're better off staying as far away from all safety vehicles as possible, as opposed to right behind them?

I agree that the tow truck was being unpredictable, but does anyone here think the judges would really ever listen to that?  We aren't ever going to win an argument in the penalty box on this topic. We're all at fault in case of on-track contact...except, I'll bet, if we contact a safety vehicle. I have a hard time seeing a judge ever laying any fault on them. Always give them a very wide berth and be as far away as possible.

cdickman12 wrote:
FPRbuzz wrote:

I've only raced in California and they use the same safety crew for Sonoma, T-hill, and Buttonwillow. So they are pretty consistent.

I thought Sonoma had their own crew, while Lemons calls in Advanced Fire and Safety for Thunder Hill and Buttonwillow races... I could be wrong--wouldn't be the first time.

The Old Fast Auto Racing Team & Sons (Old FARTS)
Like us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/FastAutoRaceTeam

I was not single file because the truck was swerving and I always take the outside line even when 5 cars are single file on the inside . So I do not see your point at all. Also the wide line kept me behind the trunk so I could figure out where he was going.

I do agree that the safety crew is always right and it's better to make them look right by keeping a huge distance. That is the lesson I hope new people like myself will learn from this.

I will still take the wide line if your looking for me you will know where to find me. We don't have hp but we do have good brakes.

19 (edited by kornfeld 2014-12-23 05:19 AM)

I'm responding with the spirit of learning and avoiding black flags, like you mention in the subject you put for this thread. So take what I say in that light. smile

If you want to avoid problems, there is no line when you're near a safety vehicle. You should always be away from wherever they are.  The first thought I had when I saw your video was that that was a clusterf***. It looks like another tow truck is behind you (and also on the left), and cars are just all over the place.

If the truck was swerving like you say it was, I would interpret that as an even clearer indication that you should not pass and you should stay even further away.  This also might explain why the truck cut over like it did.  He may have been swerving to communicate that he didn't want you guys to pass.

Also: it might be worth reconsidering your idea that you always take a certain line no matter what. I think you posted another video where you got tapped as someone else entered the chicane too hot and on the inside, while you entered from the outside. This is the *exact* reason many people will guard that inside line in the chicane and hairpin.  It's easy to get so focused on what's fastest or what's "right" that you end up overlooking what you can do to avoid collisions and black flags.

Like I said, I'm not trying to pick a fight, just offering my input.  smile

kvermilion wrote:
cdickman12 wrote:
FPRbuzz wrote:

I thought Sonoma had their own crew, while Lemons calls in Advanced Fire and Safety for Thunder Hill and Buttonwillow races... I could be wrong--wouldn't be the first time.

You are probably right. The use of the flags/rules has been consistent between the tracks.

After watching the video again I belive the "kamikaze" car was probably in a blind spot for the EV.  I would think his attention was forward, making sure the car he was pushing goes to the pit lane, then looked to the right mirror, only saw the camera car, and turned hard right.

Obviously only the EV driver knows for sure.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

What is the lesson here?  Pardon me but...I think the camera car is in the wrong.  I think he should have been lined up behind the black car...not laying back in the middle of the track.  We are supposed to PASS the EV in a safe manner.  Laying back only stacks up the queue.  I thought the black car could have gone a little faster past the EV.  That would have signaled to the EV driver that there are cars on the right.

Who would've thought the EV would suddenly turn right?  Aren't they suppose to deliver the car to their pit?  Did the pushed car suddenly get the engine going?  I think the EV driver looked in his mirror and saw the camera car and thought it was the lead car.  With his job done, he was going for the infield of T11.

All in all...the black car and the EV didn't come within 3 feet of one another.  A non-incident that could have been something but everyone was looking out each other.

A black flag for what?

Here's what I would tell a newbie...when approaching a EV...stay to the far opposite side of the track...reduce to a safe speed and proceed PAST the EV...do not pass a competitor until you are past the EV.  I believe that is what I've heard at the driver's meetings about 30 times.

23 (edited by rr4298 2015-01-06 04:28 PM)

The lesson is don't do what I did.

I was not passing that's why I did not follow the black car . The truck was swerving which may have ment don't pass.

You can't tell but I was several car lengths behind until he slammed his brakes. The lesson is again since the previous poster only reads his own writing, " don't do what I did leave enough room that if the truck slams on his brakes nobody notices "