Topic: external hi-side alternator voltage control module?

I am rewiring a 2003 Neon away from stock PCM which has the alternator voltage regulator inside the ECU. What would be my junk yard donor for an external hi-side regulator and it's pigtail?

If I just put the field wire to Vbatt I get 16 volts and too much load. I want to stay with stock harness so I do not want to change it to low-side regulator.

Re: external hi-side alternator voltage control module?

Just about any 80's or earlier carbed mopar should have a solid state flat pack regulator in it.

this link has good stuff in it on how to hook it up right.

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

New regulators are super cheap from rockauto, they also have the pig tail.

Northwet wrote:

Just about any 80's or earlier carbed mopar should have a solid state flat pack regulator in it.

Right. The part I am confused about is that some of them the field wire goes to ground and some of them the field wire goes to battery - say 1st gen Neon field wire is PWM cycled to GND and 2ng gen neon field wire is PWM cycled to VBatt.

I see some $10 voltage regulators on rockauto and the 2-wire connector is under $5, that's pretty close to what I am looking for - the only downside if that I would need to ground the regulator case with a 3rd wire but I can live with that.

If there are 2 field wires  ground one of them on your alternator.   The second connection is ground  on the v/r , use chassis ground and the third 12V goes to the input of your fuse box hot side.   Easy pie.

This space for rent.

swap in a GM alternator...  there's gotta be a CS series alternator that isn't too hard to physically bolt up..