Re: We are winning the BS game!

One thought I had is that in trying to do the right thing (keep things fresh so you re-theme often), it's been difficult for the powers-that-be to remember your previous results so you've been hit with the "grade inflation" assigned to potentially capable cars that are not Known Factors. The suggestion of bringing along a clipboard with your previous results from MyLaps as a memory refresher is a great one.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

27 (edited by cabinboy 2014-12-19 01:59 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

We take a lot of things into account when classing cars. If we've seen the same car with the same drivers a bunch of times and we're pretty confident we know how well that team does, we will sometimes put a Class B car in Class A (because the team organization is very good, car is reliable, drivers don't get black flags, etc), or we might put a car you'd expect to be in Class A into Class B if we know the team is a bunch of clowns who will lock their tools in their trailer and lose the key, get four black flags in the first hour of racing, etc. Raw lap times don't mean a whole lot when classing a car, but where the team finishes in the standings in previous races does mean something.

I'd say that if you want to make a case that your car deserves to be in a lower class than you keep getting, the worst way to go about convincing the judges is to whine about how other teams get treated better than you, it's all unfair, etc. (this is what teams in California and Texas do, and it doesn't work so well). Instead, print out the standings for the races you've done in the past, so we can see where the car has finished in those races. If you have a stock early Integra (a classic example of a car that can be either Class B or Class A, depending on team skills and equipment) and you can show us that you've just barely managed to squeeze into the top third of the standings at all your previous races, you can make a decent case for getting into Class B (if you have an E30, however, the only way to get into Class B is going to involve having a squishy stock suspension, automatic transmission, and verifiably skill-deprived drivers).

Every race we try to talk Judge Phil into putting our Neon into class B. It's a pretty good car but we're a bunch of klutzes that like to step on our wieners multiple times over the course of a weekend. Will we ever stop trying to get out of class A? No way! It's too much fun to sit back and listen to Aaron weave tales and slip Phil some of the worst bribes known to man. I still chuckle at the thought of Aaron sliding a box of WalMart chocolates across the hood of the Neon as an early Valentine's Day bribe last year at Barber.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

I'm thinking of starting to bribe to get all the other cars out of my class so I can win by default.  See if I can't get a bribe war started for teams to try and stay in their correct class.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

racerxr wrote:

BTW, I am not complaining about Lemons classing.  I think it's brilliant.  Classing and rules will always come down to some subjective decision no matter how big a rule book you write.  I was just sharing the things that seemed to influenced our classing.  We have embraced class A.  In fact, I am adding more cheaty parts this winter so we can go for Class A dominance or more likely blow up trying.

Hear, hear! I used to get annoyed at getting promoted from C then to B then B with laps, before finally accepting A... Fine, it's A. Heaviest car on track. I guess I'll take it as some kind of recognition of our abilities in keeping it out on the track all weekend, or something.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

30 (edited by ninjacoco 2014-12-20 07:39 PM)

Dadgummit, I need another Type 3 Fastback.

Those boat themes are brilliant, though.

The best bribe is a great theme, something I can write about.

Judge Phil wrote:

The best bribe is a great theme, something I can write about.

And, if I may add, if it requires more than half a breath to explain, it's not a great theme that can be written about. The only exception to that would be something related to easter european dictators.

I've had several bombed theme attempts that went nowhere... Often times because I didn't get to tech until an hour or less before it closed.

I'm learning, though.

High-dollar bourbon (the kind that makes the teammate who didn't kick in for some spare parts -- so getting the bribe was his pre-event penalty -- ["holy shit, you know how much this stuff costs!"]) also makes Phil smile. Seriously, watching Phil's eyes bug out for a second and a half when he saw the Booker's was worth at least half the entry fee. smile

cpchampion wrote:

One thought I had is that in trying to do the right thing (keep things fresh so you re-theme often), it's been difficult for the powers-that-be to remember your previous results so you've been hit with the "grade inflation" assigned to potentially capable cars that are not Known Factors. The suggestion of bringing along a clipboard with your previous results from MyLaps as a memory refresher is a great one.

That's what I was wondering.  If you change your theme every race TOO much, the judges don't know that you're a bunch of wiener-steppers.

But 9th place overall is also a pretty good finish.  cabinboy mentioned his team trying to get from class A to B.  Their top finish to my knowledge was 10th out of about 85 cars.  So ... you're a top tier team.  Whether you think your equipment is up to par or not.  I'd consider it a compliment that they think you're too good to be in B with no penalty laps.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Racin_G73 wrote:

That's what I was wondering.  If you change your theme every race TOO much, the judges don't know that you're a bunch of wiener-steppers..

Not a problem for us...Easily identifiable dog is apart of the team and goes through BS with us.  As a result of said dog, develop a relationship with the judges,  Brief ALL your drives to be deferential in the penalty box.  Have all members show up for every penalty.

Our team got steadily better but we were still clearly a class C team with a class B car that Judge Phil liked to threaten with class A.  All of the above made us well remembered by judges other than Phil and we use the "distract him with an adorable dog trick" on Judge Phil while the other judge put out B0 on the form.

The adorable-dog trick works well on Jay, too.

Racin_G73 wrote:

cabinboy mentioned his team trying to get from class A to B.  Their top finish to my knowledge was 10th out of about 85 cars.  So ... you're a top tier team.  Whether you think your equipment is up to par or not.  I'd consider it a compliment that they think you're too good to be in B with no penalty laps.

Scott, don't get me wrong. We're not really trying to get into B. We know we're an A class team (well, the car is). We just like the witty banter with the judges. It's part of the fun that gets the weekend started. Kinda like when Dale asks us if we really need to do the fire drill after all the races we've done. We know we have to do it and so does Dale but watching the hope in the driver's eyes get crushed as we try to talk Dale into making him do it is part of our entertainment for the weekend, before things get a little more serious.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

What's really funny is that I spent years trying to get teams to care about classing, in an attempt to induce Class C teams to stop making banzai pass attempts on Class A cars, etc. Nobody did care until Jay started paying prize money to class winners. Now I deal with tremendous amounts of classing-related angst.

Spank wrote:

I've had several bombed theme attempts that went nowhere...

That's hard to believe.  Of the 10 or so races you and I have both been at, I've never had any difficulty figuring out your theme.

Racin G37 wrote:

That's what I was wondering.  If you change your theme every race TOO much, the judges don't know that you're a bunch of wiener-steppers.

Including this one Spank.  I really liked the Wienersteppen theme (but perhaps because I got to drive the car).

Judge Phil wrote:

What's really funny is that I spent years trying to get teams to care about classing, in an attempt to induce Class C teams to stop making banzai pass attempts on Class A cars, etc. Nobody did care until Jay started paying prize money to class winners. Now I deal with tremendous amounts of classing-related angst.

I thought is was funny that you kept offering to put us in Class B with laps when we really didn't care that much about classing.  Knowing that people give you grief about classing gives some perspective on why you thought we might care.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

Class B in the Midwest has become a real fun class, its super competitive but in a fun way. We have faster cars that run shorter stints and slower cars that run longer and a mix of FWD and RWD so the weather can play a role as well. I'd like to see some of the class A cars like White Trash and Burnt Rubber Soul get some laps and come and play in B with us.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:

Class B in the Midwest has become a real fun class, its super competitive but in a fun way. We have faster cars that run shorter stints and slower cars that run longer and a mix of FWD and RWD so the weather can play a role as well. I'd like to see some of the class A cars like White Trash and Burnt Rubber Soul get some laps and come and play in B with us.

Don't worry my plan for autobahn is to counter bribe all the B class cars so they get stuck in A while I have the soul remaining B class car.  I'll have to come up with another clever scheme to win A after that.

Facebook Page

come monday is the veritable epitome of A class hardware in the hands of F class talent. At some point we may actually slip and fortuitously fall into a top tier finish (as opposed to squarely upon our own wieners) and then grudgingly accept the penalty laps that await us, since a judge heretofore unknown to us tried handing our pathetic selves laps at CMP last fall after (unbeknownst to him) showering Sebring with Teutonic detritus in the final hour just 9 weeks prior. Yeah, that was engine #3 over the span of 5 races.

Hmm, maybe some guest drives by Block, Anton, and Craigers all in one weekend...Hay-Zeus.

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

fiasco wrote:

High-dollar bourbon (the kind that makes the teammate who didn't kick in for some spare parts -- so getting the bribe was his pre-event penalty -- ["holy shit, you know how much this stuff costs!"]) also makes Phil smile. Seriously, watching Phil's eyes bug out for a second and a half when he saw the Booker's was worth at least half the entry fee. smile

O_O

Uh, y'all need more judges and stuff? I need to make some northeast trips.

It's kind of random, and largely based on poorly remembered impressions of your car and your team from some other race, or frequently of some other car and some other team from some other race that may or may not have looked like yours. It's worse if you bring something common like a Miata/Civic/E30, because they see hundreds of those and can't keep them all straight. We had three races in a row where Phil mistook us for a team with a performance engine swap who had won our class before, when we'd actually suffered mechanical failures in all of our races and were on the stock motor. I finally made a briefing book for Phil to remind him of who we were, and that seemed to help. I kept it short, four pages that take about 30 seconds to read.  We still have races where we get penalty laps and stupid-fast cars don't get any, but that's the nature of the process, and it's still way better than the process at the other series..

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Judge Phil wrote:

you can show us that you've just barely managed to squeeze into the top third of the standings at all your previous races, you can make a decent case for getting into Class B (if you have an E30, however, the only way to get into Class B is going to involve having a squishy stock suspension, automatic transmission, and verifiably skill-deprived drivers).

Ha, well... we at least have the first two items covered, will have to see on the third

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

Here's a sample of a page that we give the judges at BS; they seem to like it. We also bribe them with good beer, which they also seem to like:

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-dad-picture6471-record.jpg

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Bringing printed results of your previous races works a lot better than relying on my terrible memory.

Wow trying to run a competitive cars looks to be a lot of effort.

Facebook Page

We didn't get bumped down, but do a better theme and Phil might consider it!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o173/cromec/imagejpg1_zps162e4311.jpg

cabinboy wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

We take a lot of things into account when classing cars. If we've seen the same car with the same drivers a bunch of times and we're pretty confident we know how well that team does, we will sometimes put a Class B car in Class A (because the team organization is very good, car is reliable, drivers don't get black flags, etc), or we might put a car you'd expect to be in Class A into Class B if we know the team is a bunch of clowns who will lock their tools in their trailer and lose the key, get four black flags in the first hour of racing, etc. Raw lap times don't mean a whole lot when classing a car, but where the team finishes in the standings in previous races does mean something.

I'd say that if you want to make a case that your car deserves to be in a lower class than you keep getting, the worst way to go about convincing the judges is to whine about how other teams get treated better than you, it's all unfair, etc. (this is what teams in California and Texas do, and it doesn't work so well). Instead, print out the standings for the races you've done in the past, so we can see where the car has finished in those races. If you have a stock early Integra (a classic example of a car that can be either Class B or Class A, depending on team skills and equipment) and you can show us that you've just barely managed to squeeze into the top third of the standings at all your previous races, you can make a decent case for getting into Class B (if you have an E30, however, the only way to get into Class B is going to involve having a squishy stock suspension, automatic transmission, and verifiably skill-deprived drivers).

Every race we try to talk Judge Phil into putting our Neon into class B. It's a pretty good car but we're a bunch of klutzes that like to step on our wieners multiple times over the course of a weekend. Will we ever stop trying to get out of class A? No way! It's too much fun to sit back and listen to Aaron weave tales and slip Phil some of the worst bribes known to man. I still chuckle at the thought of Aaron sliding a box of WalMart chocolates across the hood of the Neon as an early Valentine's Day bribe last year at Barber.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Looking at the season in review from Eric Rood, looks like of the 55 MR2 entries, 30 were put in Class A and 25 were put in Class B