1 (edited by EyeMWing 2014-12-20 08:01 AM)

Topic: Belt cut into timing cover - correct procedure?

2007 Impreza 2.5i, some number of miles over 100k.

Friend calls me on my way home last night "My car is making a weird noise, can you look at it?"

I diverted (I was 30 seconds away anyway) and found this:
http://pic.armedcats.net/e/ey/eyemwing/2014/12/20/SubaruIMG_20141219_182931.jpg

Air conditioning pulley exploded. the belt was still sufficiently tight (GEE I WONDER WHY THE PULLEY EXPLODED) that the crank continued to drive it until it cut through the timing cover.

I cut the belt and yanked it out - looks like it NARROWLY missed intersecting with the brand new timing belt.

What's the correct procedure here? Obviously I'm just going to slap duct tape on the timing cover until parts come in, but is it worth ordering a new timing cover (not terribly expensive) and going through the hassle to replace it? Plastic shavings?

Or 'be paranoid and do the timing belt again, it's cheaper than valves'.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Re: Belt cut into timing cover - correct procedure?

EyeMWing wrote:

2007 Impreza 2.5i, some number of miles over 100k.

Well, there's yer problem.

(I'm no help on the timing belt side. I'd be paranoid and replace it all on a DD, though.)

EyeMWing wrote:

What's the correct procedure here? Obviously I'm just going to slap duct tape on the timing cover until parts come in, but is it worth ordering a new timing cover (not terribly expensive) and going through the hassle to replace it? Plastic shavings?

Or 'be paranoid and do the timing belt again, it's cheaper than valves'.

The "right way" to do this is to replace the timing cover. While you've got the old cover off carefully inspect the timing belt for any signs of contact, but as long as it looks OK it doesn't need to be replaced.  Take a look for any stray bits of plastic that may get caught under the belt or behind the sprockets, but there will probably little to none - those plastic timing covers tend to melt rather than splinter when a drive belt hits them. 

tl;dr Replace the cover. Give everything a once-over while it's apart. Repair as necessary (but probably won't be).

Leave nothing stock.

MagillaGuerrilla wrote:

[tl;dr Replace the cover. Give everything a once-over while it's apart. Repair as necessary (but probably won't be).

That's what I thought. Have Race Tape patching the cut for now, until the holiday-delayed dealership supply chain manages to produce a timing cover.

Team FinalGear

Just be extra careful loosening the timing cover bolts. They are into nuts embedded in the plastic inner covers, the bolt and nut get rusty and can strip out the nuts hold of the plastic. Soak them and don't over do it loosening them. You're better off gently working them back and forth (loosen / tighten) than just trying to loosen it in one shot. Definitely loosen it by hand (no impacts) so you get a feel for what's going on. Use antisieze on the bolts for re assembly.

You'll have a better idea on how the timing belt is with the covers off. I'd say don't bother speculating until you see what happened to the timing belt / components if anything.

I'd definitely check timing belt tension if it's a manual tensioner (I think it is automatic on these though.)

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Good tip on the cover bolts. Should (theoretically) not be hard, because it's had an (allegedly professional) timing job done in the past few months.

Of course, that same alleged professional overtightened the crap out of both serp belts.

Incidentally, WHY THE HELL ARE THERE STILL HOOPTIE ASSED MANUAL TENSIONERS? IT AIN'T 1990 ANYMORE!

Team FinalGear

Well, I've seen more failures of the hydraulic damped tensioners than I can count... Never seen a manual one fail. Set and forget, not reuse-$100 part-cross fingers-hope it works-what's that smacking flappy noise? BTDT...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)