51 (edited by LowFlyin 2015-01-27 01:09 PM)

Re: Snow Blowers

Eskimo women?

...or desperate people with a cocaine habit?

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

Storm was a major let down, we got a measly 7 inches of powder on top of Saturdays 6 inches.

Over 2 feet and it's still snowing and blowing.

Seacoast NH

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

At least 15" here and still coming.  Landlord brought out one of his loaders to push the piles back...

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

Never did make it skiing. I didn't get my driveway done until 10:30am, and knew i wouldn't make it to the mountain before 1. Not worth it only to have to be home to clear the driveway again.

Had some amazing drifts here, I think we were close to 20" total. I did more tunneling with my snow blower than anything.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1s-hz1mZuuI/VMgbRI5wRLI/AAAAAAAANjc/1vpqp_qziZI/w314-h558-no/20150127_092359.jpg

The piles on the race car were taller than me by almost a foot.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tbOY7KPNGG8muXyx5BmgrfDM5t2A9K6YRzDzyVYz-y0=w994-h559-no

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

RogueLeader needs to jump in here and let us know how he made out, and if he regrets not putting in those few extra bucks for the Ariens..

bs

bshorey wrote:

RogueLeader needs to jump in here and let us know how he made out, and if he regrets not putting in those few extra bucks for the Ariens..

bs

Odd he never chimed in...

Red Lemons Racing wrote:
bshorey wrote:

bs

Perhaps he hasn't managed to dig out yet?   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

So my 2 cents. I have worked in the power equipment industry for the last 20 years and what is being said is solid advice. The old Airens blowers were tough as nails. The new ones are good but not as tough as the old ones.

When buying a used one the the thing to listen for and check (on a 2 stage anyway) is the bearings on the drive and blower. When not running grab the shaft that the blower (the fan or impeller) is attached to, not the auger, it will be a little loose anyway. If the shaft is able to move up an down toward the the back of the blower that bearing is probably bad. Another way to check is reach down the chute (again with the engine off!) grab the blower and see if it will wiggle up and down. It should be tight. With it running when you engage the blower it should be smooth and not growl. If it does move or growl move on to the next one. It can be a real PITA to get that shaft out of that bearing to replace., sometimes requires destroying the shaft to get out.  And some blowers over 10 to 15 years old can be tough to get parts for. Tecumseh is long out of business and the new snow kings are a Chinese motor made by LCT not Tecumseh. Actually not a bad motor. Tecumseh was a great snow engine but some of them are getting to that point where they could be a little tired.

My rankings, money no object, two stage.
#1 is a Honda 2 stage hydro drive.
Toro, Airens, simplicity, are all good machines.
Husqvarna, Jonsered , cub cadet are good too.
I've had MTD cheap ones and on a paved driveway will work ok.

All above are good choices and have good features. If you want one that will last 20 years Honda toro Airens higher dollar units are best.  Price point wise Honda is way expensive but excellent blower. Toro cub and husqvarna and Jonsered have good units in the $800 range.

Single stage toro has the best. If you can find a two stroke ccr2000 that was the best single stage ever made.

And never ever by a Jacobsen snowburst absolute POS. No offense if you bought one. " nice hat, bet you get a free bowl of soup with it, looks good on you though".

Team Sheen Integra and Mirada.
Every Gingerman & Autobahn since 7-2011

60 (edited by RogueLeader 2015-03-09 08:16 AM)

CowDriver wrote:
Red Lemons Racing wrote:
bshorey wrote:

bs

Hey guys, I did get the Ariens, see my last 2 posts from page 2.

And yeah... HOLY FUCKING SHIT what a winter.  I've been so goddamn busy I haven't been back here in like 2 months!  It feels like every day I was using it, talk about a clutch buy.

So thoughts, The Ariens is great, I park it next to an outlet, plug in the electric starter and zoom go.  Has given me 0 issues in what has been an absolutely abusive winter.  Haven't sheared a pin, it gets up my driveway which is very pitched even when its very slick out, and overall works well. 

That said, I need more horsepower.  Would also like something a bit wider so I don't have to make multiple passes on the path.  When I get to the heavy plowed or wet snow it just doesn't have the juice to really cut through it.  It makes it eventually but its a slow process, and a lot of pulling back and re engaging. 

Overall its fine, and I could probably keep it forever and be ok, but I'm one of you guys, so you know that we always need MORE POWARRR!

-- As an aside this winter has possibly put a damper on our plans to run NJMP in May.  The car is under about 4 feet of snow and needs a bunch of work to even be worth dragging there, and a lot of the team is busy/has other commitments.  Damn you mother nature you ruin all my plans!  We aren't 100% yet but theres a good chance we won't make it....

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:
CowDriver wrote:
Red Lemons Racing wrote:

Hey guys, I did get the Ariens, see my last 2 posts from page 2.

And yeah... HOLY FUCKING SHIT what a winter.  I've been so goddamn busy I haven't been back here in like 2 months!  It feels like every day I was using it, talk about a clutch buy.

So thoughts, The Ariens is great, I park it next to an outlet, plug in the electric starter and zoom go.  Has given me 0 issues in what has been an absolutely abusive winter.  Haven't sheared a pin, it gets up my driveway which is very pitched even when its very slick out, and overall works well. 

That said, I need more horsepower.  Would also like something a bit wider so I don't have to make multiple passes on the path.  When I get to the heavy plowed or wet snow it just doesn't have the juice to really cut through it.  It makes it eventually but its a slow process, and a lot of pulling back and re engaging. 

Overall its fine, and I could probably keep it forever and be ok, but I'm one of you guys, so you know that we always need MORE POWARRR!

-- As an aside this winter has possibly put a damper on our plans to run NJMP in May.  The car is under about 4 feet of snow and needs a bunch of work to even be worth dragging there, and a lot of the team is busy/has other commitments.  Damn you mother nature you ruin all my plans!  We aren't 100% yet but theres a good chance we won't make it....

You could always upgrade to one of these.
https://www.kubota.com/assets/product/G … s-Snow.jpg

The mower attachment works great too!

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook