Re: Looking for in car communications advise

NSF wrote:

Get one of these.  They're expensive but worth it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8c/09/d1/8c09d18ecdb0488071bb4ebb68b500a3.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/twf164/gear/pitboard_zps08f0018b.jpg

27 (edited by Team Infinniti 2015-01-30 07:28 PM)

racinrob wrote:

Has anyone tried a CB setup?

Yes,it actually worked, the problem was we had no clue how to set up a helmet kit so there was a loud speaker aimed at the driver, you could hear the echo if the car drove by while talking, everyone at the PBIR 24 heard us LOL

If a helmet kit could be made up it could do it.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

We just use cell phones on conference calls.  I spent $10 on headphones with a mic.  When you get in your on the phone with the crew chief and usually the next driver up.  If you happen to lose the call, we have a big timer in the car.  After your time is about up look for the guy waiving a team shirt in the pits and come in.  We did try a radio system and batteries died, communication didn't make it around the track, etc.   We found that cell phones are already paid for and at least equal in quality.  Have a back-up plan regardless of what path you choose!

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

The way to do an IP based communication system would be to put up several WiFi repeaters around the track to get you the coverage you need. The flatter the track the fewer repeaters you would need to cover the area. You would need to place the repeaters so there was always a line-of-sight path between any 2. The network would be more robust if you can get LOS between clusters of 4 or so.

Those repeaters would be part of a MESH network. From there the IPRadio in the car would hop from repeater to repeater as it went around the track. Your "radio" could be an android phone with an IP based chat program such as WeChat. You could even use that with the cell system if you are at a track with good cell coverage.

Absolutely doable. More expensive than a simple radio setup though if its for just one team. The cost per team would be less if repeater system could be shared among many teams. Multiple teams using the system simultaneously would still have private communication.

Hmmmm what are we talking more expensive? Couple hundreds more or Tens of Thousands more? You could theoretically have what 255 users?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:
TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

The way to do an IP based communication system would be to put up several WiFi repeaters around the track to get you the coverage you need. The flatter the track the fewer repeaters you would need to cover the area. You would need to place the repeaters so there was always a line-of-sight path between any 2. The network would be more robust if you can get LOS between clusters of 4 or so.

Those repeaters would be part of a MESH network. From there the IPRadio in the car would hop from repeater to repeater as it went around the track. Your "radio" could be an android phone with an IP based chat program such as WeChat. You could even use that with the cell system if you are at a track with good cell coverage.

Absolutely doable. More expensive than a simple radio setup though if its for just one team. The cost per team would be less if repeater system could be shared among many teams. Multiple teams using the system simultaneously would still have private communication.

Hmmmm what are we talking more expensive? Couple hundreds more or Tens of Thousands more? You could theoretically have what 255 users?

It depends on the number of repeaters you needed to put up. Each of those repeaters will be about $100 plus the cost of whatever mounting system you come up with. You would need between 5 and 20 based on the track. I would think a budget of about $2k would get you enough stuff to cover a lot of ground.

You wouldn't be limited to 255. You would be limited to the number of IPs available in your netmask so yea, out of the box it would be 255 but that would be easily expanded.

The Blue Goose guys down here use a cell phone system in their car hooked up to a bluetooth stereo. The drivers have bluetooth kits in their helmets, so they are wireless to the stereo, and then the stereo just hooks up to the phone. They also have the comms on a speaker system as a backup (i think). The problem with that setup is that it's ok for less immediate comms (since there is a call that has to be initiated and completed each time, they don't leave the line open nonstop), but it's not ideal if you need to get info to your driver RIGHT FREAKING NOWl, which is a big advantage of the handheld/mobile radio. Also, cell comms can be sometimes flaky at a lot of the rural tracks.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Also, for those in the frozen midwest, though Gingerman actually had a signal last Fall for almost all carriers but that was not the case even as recently as the Spring race.  Not sure if it was a fluke or a new nearby tower.

Autobahn seemed to be fine but if we ever go back to Road America (pretty please) the same issue exists.

Call Troy he will hook you up.  Excellent C.S. and he builds good stuff at a reasonable price.  My team has been using his stuff for 3 years with no issue.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Another vote  for Troy at Nerdie racing. Beyond fair and excellent advice.

Also, we enjoy the heck out of our Motorola Jedi radios. They are VHF (need licenses, excellent radios), they run on MURS (good and legal) but are not certified to run on MURS (illegal again) but no one is looking for MURS violators last I heard.

There is that one time that one team ran on a police channel. The FCC didn't show up...but the cops sure did.

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

We use the Baofengs. I like them because they are cheap and I can program them for any of the FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies. I've been using MURS 1-3 because I figure less people use it and maybe the VHF will carry farther outdoors. I program them for a mix of MURS and GMRS frequencies with non-standard DCS codes so we can change channels if anyone is on our frequency. All that we use is the alarm button so the driver can let us know that he's ready to come in or so we can let him know that we're ready for him to come in, although the latter never happens because we like drivers to stay out until they are fuel-starving in the corners. If we ever put speakers/mic in the helmets, then it will probably be the Rugged Radios kits. Maybe I'll get that set up for CMP in May. Or maybe not; right now the front ball joints are all sloppy, rear upper arm and toe adjuster bushings are loose, and the transmission won't stay in 4th gear, so helmet audio is not near the top of my priority list.

On the legal/illegal subject, the Baofengs do not have Type Approval to operate in the US on any of the unlicensed/family-licensed bands that they operate on, so they are illegal to use except on part 90 commercial frequencies, which are licensed. That makes them effectively illegal for us to use. That said, since cheap GMRS radios have become available everywhere (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.), the FCC's ability to police the band is overwhelmed, so I don't see any risk in using the Baofeng's for GMRS operation and minimal risk for using them on MURS frequencies. I stay away from MURS 4-5 because there is still some commercial use of those frequencies and I don't feel like dealing with any interference.

So, a word of warning on the Baofengs, it is possible to transmit on emergency services frequencies with these, it's actually easy. So if you don't understand the stuff that I typed in the preceding paragraphs, then you may want to do some reading before using the Baofengs.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

We just skipped the whole thing. Money, complexity and one more thing to break; Not to mention it takes your attention off what you should be doing - driving. We drive till it sputters out of gas then switch. Simple clock does the trick if you want to do on timer.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

CaptainCardigan wrote:

Another vote  for Troy at Nerdie racing. Beyond fair and excellent advice.

Also, we enjoy the heck out of our Motorola Jedi radios. They are VHF (need licenses, excellent radios), they run on MURS (good and legal) but are not certified to run on MURS (illegal again) but no one is looking for MURS violators last I heard.

There is that one time that one team ran on a police channel. The FCC didn't show up...but the cops sure did.

+1 on the Troy vote.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.