Topic: no0b alert... Go easy... Question for the tech guys

I came across this 01' celica in town that blew viewing hole, out the side of cylinder 1.  The owner has had it sitting around for over a year, and is tired of dealing with it.  Apparently, its been nothing but problem after problem for him for years and he's no sick of looking at it.  He's getting rid of the car for $500 as it sits, but I saw it had a few items that I wasn't sure would be acceptable for Lemons tech.   (i.e coil overs, fiberglass hood, tinted front) windshield)  Could I still purchase this car, sell off the undesirables, or trade for a working shortblock, and prep it for Lemons? 

http://i60.tinypic.com/2r7wwnk.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/fozkpe.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2sac5kw.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/wmhtl4.jpg

Re: no0b alert... Go easy... Question for the tech guys

It does say in the rules anything sold off the car that money can be used to on the car

In the grand scheme of things, stop stressing about the LETTER of the law on the budget but here is the rundown:

If it is a "safety" item, you  cannot sell it to decrease the budget (brakes, wheels, etc) because they you would be buy the same stuff budget exempt.

You sell as much stuff as you want but your car cannot be worth less than $0.

In this particular case, keep the coil-overs (assuming you can document they came with the car) especially if they are a universal design.  Get a heat gun and strip the tint.  Replace the engine with a junkyard motor and focus on the important bits of safety and reliability.  You won't have a chance for the first two races anyway...take the laps if they give them to you.

Alternatively, swap in a Quad4 and become the star of the show.

Biggest issue will likely be with the fiberglass hood. They typically want an OEM hood with proper crumple zones.

rlchv70 wrote:

Biggest issue will likely be with the fiberglass hood. They typically want an OEM hood with proper crumple zones.

If the hood is in decent condition, I'm sure there is some 16yr new to the ricer scene who may want to trade his OEM hood+cash for your fiberglass one.

Win/Win on that one.
If the interior is any good, you may also be able to sell off enough unneccessary bits to get yourself a new engine if you find the right marketplace. Maybe.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Show up with all the "cheaty" bits.  I doubt they're that cheaty.  The car sounds like a mess.  Which is perfect for Lemons.  Take pics of everything with the guy that sold them to you.  Ultimately, you have no chance to win, so even if you get penalty laps it won't matter, and it's better to just go ahead and get them now.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

To start off, I'd offer him $200.

rodknox2 wrote:

Agreed, $500 is running car money.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:
rodknox2 wrote:

Agreed, $500 is running car money.

A good tactic is to respond to the "but its got a $300 hood" with "cool you keep the hood and sell it for $300 and I'll give you $200 for the rest of car". Repeat for any other parts you don't need but the owner thinks is valuable.
Most shitboxes are worth much more in parts but if the owner had time,space and motivation he would be parting it out himself.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

HQ will HATE this car. That being said it will probably be a hoot on the track and you should go for it. Put a kick ass theme on it!

It looks like a Celica GT-S with the 180 hp 2ZZ-GE engine. Is it a 6 speed?

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

It's believable for a $500 car. Buy it, sell off $500 off stuff, swap in a $500 engine. You might get some crap for the coilovers (What kind are they? Are they just Chinese knockoff garbage?), but at the very worst worst you'd probably get something like 10-20 penalty laps. You're not going to win at your first race (You're just not; I don't think any team has done that outside of first-in-region races) so take your penalty laps the first time out, prove the car is bad and you have a sense of humor, and then have fun racing.

Even if you get docked some laps, you still get to race until the replacement engine windows its block.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

It's believable for a $500 car. Buy it, sell off $500 off stuff, swap in a $500 engine. You might get some crap for the coilovers (What kind are they? Are they just Chinese knockoff garbage?), but at the very worst worst you'd probably get something like 10-20 penalty laps. You're not going to win at your first race (You're just not; I don't think any team has done that outside of first-in-region races) so take your penalty laps the first time out, prove the car is bad and you have a sense of humor, and then have fun racing.

Even if you get docked some laps, you still get to race until the replacement engine windows its block.

I believe the team that won the BFEGP in 2013 was a first time team.  Bastards.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

mhrir wrote:

HQ will HATE this car. That being said it will probably be a hoot on the track and you should go for it. Put a kick ass theme on it!

It looks like a Celica GT-S with the 180 hp 2ZZ-GE engine. Is it a 6 speed?

Unfortunately no, I wish it was... Its a gt with the good Ol' 1zzfe >03' version which burns through oil like its on a vegas vacation....  Probably why it blew in the first place..  Plus I know how this guy drove this thing...95mph up and down I10 towing his kart trailer and sprint kart going back and forth to the track!   I do think its a 6 speed though..

OnkelUdo wrote:

Alternatively, swap in a Quad4 and become the star of the show.

^            ^            ^           ^            ^
Can't tell you how much I love this option!   Or maybe a VR6!

therood wrote:

Pretty sure the coils are legit..  However they are likely many many years old, with many many hard miles on them...  I'll take pics of all I can, including the official purchase...  I brought up the issue of the hood with him when I went to look at it.  He mentioned at one point he still had the OE hood, but his old room mare decided to use it for target practice and that was the end of that...

What about the wheels?  Better I sell/trade for stock rollers or go ahead with whats already on there? 

I appreciate all the help and replys guys... keep em coming!!

16 (edited by addict#52 2015-03-30 04:33 PM)

wheels are open per the rule 4.2

gunn wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

If the hood is in decent condition, I'm sure there is some 16yr new to the ricer scene who may want to trade his OEM hood+cash for your fiberglass one.

Win/Win on that one.
If the interior is any good, you may also be able to sell off enough unneccessary bits to get yourself a new engine if you find the right marketplace. Maybe.

The motor should come relatively easy at a u pull since its not a 2zzfe.  Essentially its a toyota matrix/corolla  pontiac vibe engine with a celica head.  I should be able to score one of those for 150-200 ish?   Sell off the strut bars, make a good deal for the 'glass hood +cash, sell the CAI and I should be gravy on that end, maybe with some extra.   

Question.. Do all the lights, besides the 3rd brake light need to be removed?

ntfknrnd wrote:
gunn wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

Win/Win on that one.

The motor should come relatively easy at a u pull since its not a 2zzfe.  Essentially its a toyota matrix/corolla  pontiac vibe engine with a celica head.  I should be able to score one of those for 150-200 ish?   Sell off the strut bars, make a good deal for the 'glass hood +cash, sell the CAI and I should be gravy on that end, maybe with some extra.   

Question.. Do all the lights, besides the 3rd brake light need to be removed?

No, but they need to be taped up.

I suggest you thoroughly read the rule book. There is not much to it.

addict#52 wrote:

Correct, but if they're worth money to someone, you might again find it worth your while financially to trade for crappier wheels + cash.

Learn from my mistake: If the wheels are worth actual money, don't race them. Wheels get bent and banged up and destroyed in this kind of racing.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

If he still has the "target practice" hood, that would be hilarious to run on the car as well as probably making BS inspection go better. You can sell off the CAI and fab something up with Home Depot parts that works almost as good but is way cheaper on the budget.

therood wrote:
addict#52 wrote:

Correct, but if they're worth money to someone, you might again find it worth your while financially to trade for crappier wheels + cash.

Learn from my mistake: If the wheels are worth actual money, don't race them. Wheels get bent and banged up and destroyed in this kind of racing.

They look like 17s in the picture, this is good as it gives you plenty of tire choice, they also look like they would be good for air flow around the brakes, I'd run them!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

SpaceFrank wrote:

If he still has the "target practice" hood, that would be hilarious to run on the car as well as probably making BS inspection go better. You can sell off the CAI and fab something up with Home Depot parts that works almost as good but is way cheaper on the budget.

This is a very good point!! It never crossed my mind to ask... The search is on!

Looking through the rule book, I think I should be good to go once I sort the hood out.  I'm glad there's no sunroof to have to deal with, and as far as the tinted glass, if patience runs thin while stripping it off, I'll see if I can score a better net balance by removing them and selling//trading them for goods.  Hoping to hit the last race of the year for the south region in Kershaw... If not, Barber next year... It'll be fun to run around there in a car, instead of my Karts for the first time.  I plan on stopping by for the event in May to get a closer view the festivities, and understand better what I have to do to join in.  Lemons ran at VIR the last year I raced WKA and we shared the track with them during the day..  At night, we got to listen to some 90+ cars rip around for several hours while we all put a few adult beverage away...  I wish I took the time then to get better acclimated to the series..   I appreciate all you guys that chimed in to help get me squared away, I hope to run into some of you at the races, and/or around the forum as my build progresses!!

Most teams carry extra tires/wheels.  At least 2...we bring 4.  If you decide to bring extra, make sure they match up with your existing ones...particularly in offset.  If the ones in the pic are aftermarket aluminum, make sure the center bore matches the hub diameter.  If the center bore is larger than the hub, acquire some hub centric rings to fill in the gap.  Racing is hard on wheels and without the rings the lug holes take the torque and will eventually be wallowed out.  Don't ask me how I know.

25 (edited by Buno 2015-04-24 02:36 PM)

Who the hell uses a Celica to tow a sprint car? This guy might be my new hero.