Re: Some people will never get "it".

mechimike wrote:

Rob- next time you go to FATT, let me know, and I'll bring the Tunachuckers LTD.  They don't know from slow.

Mike, I will try to remember that.

It honestly was very slow.  We are trying to sort out a new (to the car) engine, and were having issues.  Funny thing was, as slow as I was going It took 3 laps for anyone to catch me.  I was in group 1B and doing the skidpad while group 1A was on the track.  They had one car going slower than I was, and was not giving point-bys.  They had 15 cars in a conga line behind them.

I did enjoy the experience, even with the engine trouble.  I just need to forget that one comment.

As Tom has mentioned about his experiences at the pro races, I was somewhat surprised at how many of the other drivers came by to take a look and chat, and we didn't even take the wing with us.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

While I was packing up and leaving the SCCA autocross today (Worked first heat, drove second, didn't place (I am a horrible driver))

I pointed out that a guy parked nearby had a screw in his tire."Damn Lemons cars! Dropping parts everywhere! I don't know why they let them in!" The only Lemons car present had, to that point, driven the distance from its paddock space to the grid, which did not intersect with the path from Track Out to this guy's parking space. We'd both just come off our runs, and the tire was audibly losing air, so he'd clearly picked it up recently.

I didn't correct his assumptions because he runs in my class and therefore remaining civil is in my interests, but he'd been interested in my "Road Racing stories" earlier. It's always interesting to see how seriously people take you when you talk about traveling the country to drive at famous tracks (Sebring and Sonoma in particular. Talk about WINNING at Sebring....). Maybe later in the year I'll drop the Lemons bomb on him.

Funny thing is, he probably picked up that screw on course. Hell, the chances are infinitely higher it fell off my car than the lemon. A BMW punched out a fog light on a cone earlier in the day. Could have come from that. Or there was a Gopro mount that failed yesterday and nobody spotted the debris during today's walks. Or the guy who completely obliterated the timing system at the finish.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

There's always going to be someone that "doesn't get it", no matter what the subject. Best not to get too worried about them.

Most people I talk to about Lemons think it's awesome, but I've found people who think it's a waste of money, stupid, childish, etc. I just shrug and move on, not worth my energy to care.

All that matters is that I enjoy what I'm doing, and those 4 hours behind a steering wheel and subsequent hours hopped on adrenaline praying the car doesn't break again are some of the best in my life. The fact that my friends and family think it's awesome and join in is just a bonus.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

29 (edited by therood 2015-03-30 07:38 AM)

The SCCA is currently attempting to "get it." Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I don't see anything in the rules to keep a team with a Fox Mustang painted as a giant pig from showing up:

Vehicles are limited to be production-based vehicles with a performance level equal or less than normal in Club Racing classes Improved Touring R, E Production, GT3 or Touring 3. Spec Racer Fords may also participate. Cars need to meet SCCA Club Racing safety standard although they do not need to be legal for any particular class. The cars do not need to have a SCCA logbook but, those without will have to be inspected to make sure they meet minimum safety standards. The chief steward for each event will determine vehicle eligibility. For teams with specific questions, there will be an email contact method for questions or to gain pre-approval.

That bolded clause is likely the "buzzkill" clause.

Anyway, the idea and rules are basically lifted straight from another budget endurance series so it's not like there's any creativity at play from them. They simply want/need the dollars that they only just realized they've been losing to The Heathens.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

They may have lifted the buzzkill statement from the old IT-J rules.  It could e a general safety statement being the chief steward has final say for cars that does not meet minimum safety although could be used for cars they think will be to slow and cause a hazzard or that they don't like because it looks like a pig.  If a Lemons team is thinking of doing it, I would probably reach out to the local SCCA organization prior to showing up.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Well said Greg, and you're welcome.

To the OP (Mike), who cares if Bruce doesn't 'get it'?  Not everybody has to get it, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to convert the masses, and quite frankly I wish a few less people out here in CA 'got it'.  These damn races are pretty crowded!

As an aside, I've got a couple of team mates that have driven at some pretty high levels (one of them held world records in NHRA a few decades ago).  These guys are pretty funny, especially the former world record holder.  To him, Lemons is one of the purest forms of racing, people (mostly) building their own sh*t, fixing their own sh*t, and racing their own sh*t.  He left 'real' racing years ago because to him it turned into something that was dominated by big $$$, and people were showing up, driving, then leaving.  Not much fun anymore if you didn't have any of the big $$$ sponsors, and for him not much fun even with one.

Bruce probably pays somebody else to change his oil.  Good for him.

bs

TheEngineer wrote:

Most people I talk to about Lemons think it's awesome, but I've found people who think it's a waste of money, stupid, childish, etc.

True, true, true, true, and, although that last point is a bit open-ended, true. We are in full agreement.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

bshorey wrote:

Well said Greg, and you're welcome.

To the OP (Mike), who cares if Bruce doesn't 'get it'?  Not everybody has to get it, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to convert the masses, and quite frankly I wish a few less people out here in CA 'got it'.  These damn races are pretty crowded!

bs

It was meant to be more an observation than a complaint. What I though was most interesting it that seems it was something of a shock when he finally realized what kind of racing this was (earnest, not serious). I guess up to that point every photo, every post, made it look like we were "serious" racers.

He's a DIY kind of guy, but I figure pristine, all original, all that stuff is what he values.

When I first let on, back in 2010, that I was going to LeMonize this car there were quite a few objections, such as "Don't do it. They'll weld shit to your car." They got over it pretty quickly and we've got a pretty good following now. Bruce must be new to the scene.

There is a certain mystique to racing. I'm glad Lemons is here to round that out a bit.

It would be pretty easy to miss what series you are prepping or they see the cage or most of the other stuff that goes into these cars.  These "serious racers" might think we are really racing.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I'm really racing... to the beat of a drummer that no one else can even hear.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

tSoG wrote:

I'm really racing... to the beat of a drummer that no one else can even hear.

You sure that's not just a rod knock?

Proud supporter of the "Bring A Sterling To Lemons" Foundation

I'll make it to an actual race one of these days.  Until then...

that only happened one time...

twice.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

38 (edited by ninjacoco 2015-04-02 01:57 PM)

I love how the PCA folks have sort of embraced the 'lump here. "Aw, that's yours? COOL."

I still need to run into the person who's disappointed that I'm not running my SUPER RAD AWESOME PARSH RACE CAR as a pristine vintage automobile, though.

"Erm, because it came with a sun-blasted interior that was already 90% gone?"

mharrell wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Most people I talk to about Lemons think it's awesome, but I've found people who think it's a waste of money, stupid, childish, etc.

True, true, true, true, and, although that last point is a bit open-ended, true. We are in full agreement.

Here's the thing. You could make that same set of bolded statements about EVERY form of motorsports. When you get right down to it auto racing is just another form of pecker measuring. Some people just think you need to spend a lot of money on a prosthetic while others just see it as a fun hobby.

Burdizzo wrote:

Here's the thing. You could make that same set of bolded statements about EVERY form of motorsports. When you get right down to it auto racing is just another form of pecker measuring. Some people just think you need to spend a lot of money on a prosthetic while others just see it as a fun hobby.

I went in the garage and measured "it" last night and it was just right.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

In my mind, it doesn't matter if folks see it as junk measuring, driver practice, cheap track time, a reason to drink beer and talk/lie about cars, an excuse to own a plasma cutter that cost more than the car.  It can be different things to different folks as long as everyone understands that the values and goals of others may not align perfectly with their own.

My wife and I both race, usually ours, but almost always in the same car, and we have very different goals, attitudes, and mindsets. 

That said, my junk is bigger.

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

Hamsa9 wrote:

an excuse to own a plasma cutter that cost more than the car.

Guilty as charged.

My tool collection has increased dramatically as a results of Lemons.
Some have never been used "for real", but just tested.   They were just
too cool to not have.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Been pondering the nature of my "inner Bruce" this evening. I think there are two Bruces. The scenario - New team, a month out from entry due date, 3 of 5 members said today they are probably out due to lack of money, all expensive stuff still left to do. Bruce number one begins internal moping and logical, defeatist dialogue. Then, out of nowhere, Bruce two shows up mental martial artsing  all over Bruce one.  !$&?ing Bruce LEE!  Says "Aw... Hells no on the quit'n. You were born for crazy $--t like this! You just need a little time to hatch hair brained plan D. "

Driving like a girl for 33 years.

Fergus' Fault wrote:

Been pondering the nature of my "inner Bruce" this evening. I think there are two Bruces. The scenario - New team, a month out from entry due date, 3 of 5 members said today they are probably out due to lack of money, all expensive stuff still left to do. Bruce number one begins internal moping and logical, defeatist dialogue. Then, out of nowhere, Bruce two shows up mental martial artsing  all over Bruce one.  !$&?ing Bruce LEE!  Says "Aw... Hells no on the quit'n. You were born for crazy $--t like this! You just need a little time to hatch hair brained plan D. "

Bruce Two rules!!!!!!!!!

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

racinrob wrote:
mechimike wrote:

Rob- next time you go to FATT, let me know, and I'll bring the Tunachuckers LTD.  They don't know from slow.

It honestly was very slow.  We are trying to sort out a new (to the car) engine, and were having issues.  Funny thing was, as slow as I was going It took 3 laps for anyone to catch me.  I was in group 1B and doing the skidpad while group 1A was on the track.  They had one car going slower than I was, and was not giving point-bys.  They had 15 cars in a conga line behind them.

I did enjoy the experience, even with the engine trouble.  I just need to forget that one comment.

As Tom has mentioned about his experiences at the pro races, I was somewhat surprised at how many of the other drivers came by to take a look and chat, and we didn't even take the wing with us.

On the topic of summitpoint, I was just there yesterday with a 70hp geo.  The group is called trackdaze, they didn't seem to care at all in regards to my speed (87mph front straight on summit main) as long as I gave proper point-bys.  I plan on going back again with some other Lemons hooptie July 5th.  it's $250 bucks all in for: 4 30 minute sessions and a 2 hour mega session, open passing anywhere with point by.

Trackdaze are a great group.  Have race some veedubs in Lemons and the other series.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

v1ru5 wrote:
racinrob wrote:
mechimike wrote:

On the topic of summitpoint, I was just there yesterday with a 70hp geo.  The group is called trackdaze, they didn't seem to care at all in regards to my speed (87mph front straight on summit main) as long as I gave proper point-bys.  I plan on going back again with some other Lemons hooptie July 5th.  it's $250 bucks all in for: 4 30 minute sessions and a 2 hour mega session, open passing anywhere with point by.

Wow, I missed that on the schedule.  I will have to look closer next time.  That is more time then you get with FATT, but Fatt offers instructors.

I wasn't complaining about the fact that they said I was too slow.  I agreed.  Your 87 mph top end was probably 30-40 mph better than what I could get the way the engine was running.  I knew it wasn't running right once I got out on the track.  It was supposed to be a shakedown for the replacement engine.

What got to me was the "craptastic crapcan" remarks.  I wonder if he makes the same kind of remarks about any of the "good" cars that are not running right.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

bronson wrote:

In a way, all of us has a Bruce to face. For some, shyness might be their Bruce. For others, a lack of education might be their Bruce. For us, Bruce is a big, loud man who wants to kill fun. But as sure as my title is paddock rat, the people of the Opel forum can conquer their own personal Bruce, who also happens to be the actual Bruce.

This is good.

Logistics Pessimist/CAPCOM for Escape Velocity Racing
Heroic Fix - Gator-o-Rama 2014

CowDriver wrote:
Hamsa9 wrote:

an excuse to own a plasma cutter that cost more than the car.

Guilty as charged.

My tool collection has increased dramatically as a results of Lemons.
Some have never been used "for real", but just tested.   They were just
too cool to not have.

I am guilty of the very same thing! My wife called me a tool whore the other day...