Topic: How to nuke a battery instantly

Today was the big day, test fire the new Fuego. Grabbed the battery out of the Tbird and after some futzing, get the Turbo 1.6 to turn and cough, but nothing more. Turns out its only sputtering on the cold start injector. Bust out the the multimeter and........what the hell? B+ shows 18v+. I figure the battery went bad over the winter.

Now, my car was parked along side. After removing the fried battery, I decide, rather than pull the one in my car, to just run jumpers to the terminals on the Fuego and try starting it again. Once again, doesnt run, but sputters a few times on the cold start. Back on the meter and......HOLY F'N SHIT B+ is 19V. Even disconnected, neither battery will fall below 18v.

How did I manage to wreck two known good batteries in 5 minutes without getting the engine to run? The only thing I can think of is a failed voltage regulator in the alternator, but the engine never spun any faster than the starter would turn, and even then only in 1-2 second spurts. Is that really enough to short a battery?

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

Re: How to nuke a battery instantly

Is the meter reading right? I don't see how the car could be making that happen.

Your meter is whack!

Check a AA battery. New, they run about 1.61 V.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

You can't get more volts out - that would defy Physics. That ain't yer problem.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

shorted battery would be less than 12v

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Chemistry says 13.2 volts maximum possible, or you are in another universe.

If the battery shorted, it would be 0 volts. Back to school for you.

Multi-meter with a dead battery or a mis-adjusted calibration could be a possible cause.

Check the battery in one of your daily drivers with the engine OFF (should read about 12-12.7 volts and with it running, (should be somewhere between about 14 and 13.2. unless you have a  bad regulator, in which case it might read as high as 18v.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Good news! The pricey Fluke may still read 18v, but I dug out my free-after-coupon Horrible Freight meter which reads a much more reasonable 12.7v. As usual, you guys were spot on, the tool was to blame.

I had a battery short in my DD a couple years ago. The puzzled look on the parts guy's face when he tested it and it came back 18v was worth the inconvenience, and he replaced it for free.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

gtopat wrote:

. As usual, you guys were spot on, the tool was to blame.

This is why we get the BIG money!

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

So, "it's a poor workman who blames his tools" is not correct!

Cool, I've got lots of blame to start heaping on my tools.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).