Topic: Pacific Coast Dream Machines, April 26th

This is a great show &  supports a good cause, at the Half Moon Bay airport. All vehicles & / machines are welcome, we usually take the Lemons car. It would be great to have a whole 24hrs of Lemons section. Cost to enter a vehicle, before April 15th, is $40, which includes driver & passenger.

http://dreammachines.miramarevents.com/

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

Re: Pacific Coast Dream Machines, April 26th

Mike, checking my schedule w/ activities co-ordinator. It could happen. I was in El Grenada a few years ago during this show. Lots and lots of cool stuff on display. Lemons cars would fit in nicely.

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,Winner class A The Ridge, 2022
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

I'll haul 4 of my Lemons there

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

4 (edited by aaron.vogel 2015-02-11 12:09 PM)

I'd trailer out Drag Racers for this. Not too far away and reasonably priced. Like the idea of a whole Lemons section.

LOL... we'll bring the Heroic Fix from Good Effort to show off...

That makes 7 potential Lemons cars, this could be fun!

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

Yo MikeZilla, what's the status on a Lemons group going to this? 'Bout to sign up.

aaron.vogel wrote:

Yo MikeZilla, what's the status on a Lemons group going to this? 'Bout to sign up.

We should talk at Sears point this weekend, I am in car 189.

If I can get the Poorolator reassembled by then, I'd like to bring it.

The Unicorn generally seems to be a crowd pleaser... I haven't been to Dream Machines in a few years, would be nice to go this year.

Count the Tinyvette in.

11 (edited by aaron.vogel 2015-04-16 02:10 PM)

Okay, I'll slap a fresh skirt and some new truck nuts on the Drag Racer and register up right now.

Lets make this official-ish and setup some details:

If you're gonna attend register up here: http://dreammachines.miramarevents.com/ … ation.html

Check-in starts at 7am and cars have to be in place by 9:30am.

Groups need to arrive together so lets plan a meet just outside the venue here: 100 Capistrano Rd, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019 - This is a boat trailer parking lot just down the street from the venue, so those of with trailers will have an easier time moving around. If the fish are biting and the boat trailer lot is full, and you can't find anyone there, we'll gather just down Capistrano Rd. at 470 Capistrano Rd Half Moon Bay, CA 94019 where there is a decent size paved area just off the street that we can probably linger at briefly to gather everyone.

Meet-up time of 8am seems reasonable if everyone's good with that. Please be there a little early. We'll roll to the venue no later 8:15am. If you arrive late just come straight to the venue, we'll see about saving a spot or two next to us.

Post up here after you've registered so we can keep a good idea of how many are coming.

Roster:

322 Team Sunday Funday / Drag Racers
173 Space Unicorn
19 Thunderchicken Extra Crispy Racing
8 Team Tinyvette + friend?

AWESOME KEEP 'EM COMING!

Unicorn is registered. See you guys there!

Thunderchicken is registered. I hope the salmon out at deep reef are off the bite that weekend, or the boat parking lot will be a zoo. Been there,done that. Sold the boat to buy a race car. Different kind of zoo.
Seeya there.

M45 Racing,

chdonley2 wrote:

Thunderchicken is registered. I hope the salmon out at deep reef are off the bite that weekend, or the boat parking lot will be a zoo. Been there,done that. Sold the boat to buy a race car. Different kind of zoo.
Seeya there.

I'll edit to include a backup location... Weekends in Half Moon Bay can in general be a zoo...

Thank You for taking point on this after I put it out there. As it turns out some family/business  stuff came up & I can't go. One of my team mates is probably still going but he wants to take his 68' twin turbo Rotary VW beetle. I will put him in contact with you , providing you are OK with a non Lemons car in your group.

aaron.vogel wrote:

Okay, I'll slap a fresh skirt and some new truck nuts on the Drag Racer and register up right now.

Lets make this official-ish and setup some details:

If you're gonna attend register up here: http://dreammachines.miramarevents.com/ … ation.html

Check-in starts at 7am and cars have to be in place by 9:30am.

Groups need to arrive together so lets plan a meet just outside the venue here: 100 Capistrano Rd, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019 - This is a boat trailer parking lot just down the street from the venue, so those of with trailers will have an easier time moving around. If the fish are biting and the boat trailer lot is full, and you can't find anyone there, we'll gather just down Capistrano Rd. at 470 Capistrano Rd Half Moon Bay, CA 94019 where there is a decent size paved area just off the street that we can probably linger at briefly to gather everyone.

Meet-up time of 8am seems reasonable if everyone's good with that. Please be there a little early. We'll roll to the venue no later 8:15am. If you arrive late just come straight to the venue, we'll see about saving a spot or two next to us.

Post up here after you've registered so we can keep a good idea of how many are coming.

Roster:

322 Team Sunday Funday / Drag Racers
173 Space Unicorn
19 Thunderchicken Extra Crispy Racing

AWESOME KEEP 'EM COMING!

MikeZilla wrote:

Thank You for taking point on this after I put it out there. As it turns out some family/business  stuff came up & I can't go. One of my team mates is probably still going but he wants to take his 68' twin turbo Rotary VW beetle. I will put him in contact with you , providing you are OK with a non Lemons car in your group.

Hey Mike! Of course he's welcome. Glad I didn't step on any toes, just wanted to make it happen. Sorry you can't make it. Hopefully we can catch up at the next event.

- Aaron

I registered last night, and am looking forward to this. A friend might bring a nice looking Opel GT to park along side, sort of a before/after thing.

m610 wrote:

I registered last night, and am looking forward to this. A friend might bring a nice looking Opel GT to park along side, sort of a before/after thing.

Ha! Perfect!

I bought a Windex refill and will go out to clean up the car a bit today. I might even sand and roll on some more paint.

Hey guys, really sad to say this but I won't be able to make it.

Hope you guys have fun.

MikeZilla wrote:

This is a great show &  supports a good cause, at the Half Moon Bay airport. All vehicles & / machines are welcome, we usually take the Lemons car. It would be great to have a whole 24hrs of Lemons section. Cost to enter a vehicle, before April 15th, is $40, which includes driver & passenger.

http://dreammachines.miramarevents.com/

It was a really great show and classic coastside weather. Hundreds of cars, lots of aircraft, other interesting machines and several thousand people.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8706/17290844345_6df76c1155_c.jpg

Mike drove the Tinyvette over from Davis, Scott arrived with his Magical Unicorn beemr and the Thunderchicken SC showed up.

Mike took lots more pix. Maybe he will provide a wrap-up.

M45 Racing,

It was a good show, and the drive to and from in the Tinyvette was fun. I've driven it distances on the street before but for some reason last weekend's jaunt got it to sink in that the car is fun to drive even when not racing. Sure, I have to layer up to stay warm, wear gloves and even glasses for eye protection because with no side or rear windows the wind beats your eyes up pretty bad. But it makes about the right amount of noise, is responsive, is too slow to get me into trouble, and is small enough to make it seem like I have all the pavement in the world to work with. It's still not comfortable, and it tires you out, but it's fun.

The show itself was something. There must have been over 500 cars there plus lots of odd old machines, such as old motors once used on farms to pump water, etc. I was hoping to see and hear a Johnny-popper but no luck.

I've seen enough glossy restored 50's and 60's cars to almost want to stay away from car shows, and to me exotics are like the Louie XIV room furnishings you can see in history museums, basically, rich people's stuff that didn't have a lot to do with the times they supposedly represent. Nice, but so what? But there were many cars that were interesting. My favorite was a really sweet little pale green 60's Dart, driven by a couple who probably bought it new and were still driving it. (Throw on a little black and white paint, a couple a NASA decals, and you'd have Escape Velocity's car.) It was a really nice contrast to the hot rodded stuff. An honest 60's car.

There were a few very shiny customs, one I actually liked. It was huge, chopped, long, and paints gold. It looked like something ZZ Top would own, except for maybe the color. The woody wagon was also very nice. The craftsmanship of these cars of course was excellent, but what gets me is the vision, the sense of design, the stuff that goes way beyond pin stripes and flames and slamming.

Then there were three Lemons. I think between them we covered a bit of the mid-range territory of Lemons cars. Some are nice, some pretty battered, all themed. We had nothing close to Spank or Homer levels of theme, but enough to get the point across. It was fun explaining the whole concept of themes, explanations the kids did not need. They loved the unicorn and a few even recognized the Space Unicorn theme. (I think that was the only BMW in the show.) The Thunderchicken got lots of attention and once in a while you'd hear someone saying "that race car is sponsored by KFC". Little did they know. People loved the "extra crispy" twist on the theme, and kids loved being able to sit in the car, wear a helmet, and get strapped in. Their parents were grateful. I think 50 or more kids must have crawled in and out of our cars. Most were boys but we did our best to encourage the girls.

The Tinyvette got the usual attention just for being an Opel, for people not knowing what it was and no doubt being confused by the Corvette decals. We heard lots of "My dad had one of those.."-type comments. A friend brought a clean Opel GT and we had hoped to be able to park them side-by-side, for the shock effect of the comparison. Unfortunately he arrived before us and got shuffled off to the other end of the runway and was trapped in by other cars. The one comment that impressed him was from the person who thanked him for bringing what seemed to be the only sports car in the show. If they only knew the GT is just a Kadett in a fancy party dress.

There were lots of questions about the series, and this time it seems more people had heard something about it and this was their first time seeing any of it and learning what it was about. At some point you could see they sort of got it but were about to dismiss these as just cheap old race cars, until we mentioned that these cars ran 600-1000 miles per race, going for 14-24 hours, against 150-200 other cars, and had done so only a month ago. Then they started to look impressed, and personally, I think that is impressive.

Several people came by telling us they were preparing a car and stuck around to ask for tips. One told us he and his friends were shooting for the Thunderhill race, and hoping to join in for another GWR attempt.

The sideshows made this event fun. The monster truck rides, helicopter rides, motorcycle stunts, and WWII era planes taking off and landing all day. I think there was a band but were were parked too close to the planes to ever hear them play. Lemons, as we all know, is it's own side show, so we don't need any of that stuff, although an occasional punk band or strippers for the Saturday night festivities are appreciated.

Getting out of there really sucked. There's only one road and traffic was creeping north and south. We had reservations at a brewery 2 miles up the road but it still took an hour to get there. We wasted as much time as possible at dinner and when we came out, near two hours later, the traffic was still creeping. There was a stop light about 7 miles away, in Pacifica, and once you cleared that it was good again.

I took a few photos, mostly of us, and most of them are of people. I'll upload a few.

Mike

23 (edited by bronson 2015-04-28 12:36 PM)

Great writeup!  Kids bing dragged around by their parents just lit up when Chuck threw a helmet on them and put them in the driver's seat.  No doubt the Thunderchicken was the most memorable part of the show for a bunch of them.

Most of the dream machines, understandably, had big "DO NOT TOUCH" signs on them.  People looked surprised when we said, "sure, climb in, check it out."  Next year (no promises) I'll bring an old helmet and a "please touch" sign.

Also, I'd guess a lot of people walking by just saw these as dirty art cars.  I'm not quite sure how to convey the concept of "endurance road race" (Chuck's poster is a good start), but it would be nice to have something better than just talking for a minute trying to describe it.  Describing it over and over and over...  smile

riding the space unicorn

bronson wrote:

Most of the dream machines, understandably, had big "DO NOT TOUCH" signs on them.  People looked surprised when we said, "sure, climb in, check it out."  Next year (no promises) I'll bring an old helmet and a "please touch" sign.

This is what you needed...
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/image_zpsqcossvds.jpg
I should have printed it and brought it with me....Oh well...
Next year (no promises)
Mike

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Sorry I couldn't make it but glad to hear you guys had a good time. As for the traffic, I usually hang over on the coast until about 7pm.