Re: Corvair Build Thread (Transcontinental Drifters)

Thats some very nice fabrication work!!!

Well done !!!

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

Less than 60 days till PNW. Car still has not been driven, but last weekend the drivetrain went back in and the brakes were inspected. Result: calipers good, but brake pads and rotors are junk. New parts ordered and maybe the second car's parts can be used as backups. Driver's spindle bad and all bearings need to be replaced. Harness back in this week and test drive this weekend (hopefully).

Crap, crap, crappity, crap crap.... We have been slapping together our latest entry into the madness at a downright leisurely (glacial) pace, Thanks for putting it in black and white, I need to get a move on!

Silversleeves Racing
Austin Mini #42 | John Lemmons Wolseley Hornet
Austin 1800 #49  V6 Landcrab - Organizer's Choice PNW2013 | Class C Winner 2015
Barbie's Corvette #44 - Organizer's Choice PNW2014

I'm going to want some build photos to use when I write about this car.

Last night worked on the other (white) Jag, just to be able to drive it around and make sure it is viable as a parts car. Nearly burned down the garage cleaning the injectors! I lost part of an eyebrow. Idles OK, #2 still not happy, compression OK. Finished mounting the coolers. How it it that a free oil cooler costs $200 in fittings and hoses? Sounds like a racket. Does it make sense on a motor/car that cost less than $200? Okay, relax, calm down, remember this is endurance racing, in order to finish first, first you must finish. Lemons is good. Lemons is good. Okay, better.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Damn awsome stuff! Loving this build!

Salton Sea Speed Shop
1964 Ford Falcon

56 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 11:59 AM)

Pulled the hubs and brakes off the Jag and both driver side hubs are shot. Front had an inside spun bearing (ruined spindle) and a broken cage. Rear had spun bearing also (ruined hub), hubs are supposed to be pressed together, hub fell apart as soon as the axle was removed. Outcome: pulled parts off the other Jag and things are progressing. Weird that it was both hubs on the driver's side, front bearings did not have any grease in them. Had to torch rear rotor off the car to get to the hubs. Did not want to take good rear hubs apart, so grease zerks were added. With the brakes and hubs sorted the decision was made to scrap the red car (plus the wife is sick of looking at my towable junk yard).

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXYTNKVmZFdGdMYVE

I hope we do not need any more parts off this thing, Troy made a joke about the engine having a proximity security system like a stereo. Not funny.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXVnRUbndNQlM0MU0

Said our goodbyes to the Blue Smoke Six (now five cylinder), it is in the correct position in the back of the Jag chassis.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXSl9LdEE2cFVSSFU

Used this opportunity to clean out the garage, extra rotors, old clutches, all non essential (hopefully) components GONE. A messy garage makes me CRAZY.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXQkVUZTZnel9vQlk

Took the car to a scrap recycler (auto recycler won't pay because the car doesn't have sellable components) Scrap price is down right now, but would have paid to watch the car get RAPED by the claw. Operator could not read VIN off windshield, flipped the car on its side and ripped the driver door off. Totally looking forward to scrapping the other Jag.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix

RIP Fish bowl headlight.

Stupid Jag rear hubs, brakes, what a pain in the arse and a replacement hub spindle is $212 no wonder you can buy 2 whole cars for under $500...  May have to turn the spare down press a sleeve over it and re-machine it so the outer bearing will fit.

58 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 12:00 PM)

About a month left  and running out of fabrication excuses why the car has not been driven, so I decided to go on vacation. Will be back at it next week and hopefully driving next weekend. That leaves four weeks for shakedown and theme, which is still four weeks more than last year.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXNi10TkI4TGFqNDA

There is a lot going on in the engine compartment: steering, brakes, intake, oil cooler, coolant overflow, air cleaner, radiator and alternator. As much stock Jag stuff used except where cost was prohibitive (Jag alternator $200, radiator $500, brakes $no idea$)

I hope you are using proper Smiths gauges.

Judge Phil wrote:

I hope you are using proper Smiths gauges.

The only gauges I use are official "Judge" gauges. They are precise and easy to read. "When this Corvair motor starts making noise, bring it in before it lets go."

30 days to go, trying to enjoy vacation, but can't stop thinking about the car. I should have brought my truck, everyone wants to give me their LeMony  parts. Bug-eyed Sprite with a Cummins, possibly. Air-cooled VW twin mill 1992 Toyota Tercel, maybe. Are there any restrictions on running a Manx? Been having a lot of discussions about racing, mostly Baja, and at the end I appreciate Lemons more and more. Costs are out of control, spec motors, and the fun is gone. I went to a roundy dirt track race and two fights broke out and that's just the racers. Drivers were making intentional contact and there was just an overall feeling of tension. Racing should be fun, something to look forward to, racing should be something that relieves stress, not create it. I am so thankful that the staff of Lemons puts on these races and that I can be a part of them. I miss racing the Baja 1000, but I would miss being Judged even more. Now for the Jagvair news...

Is that an Aeroquip fitting? CHEATURZ!

Silversleeves Racing

swindrum wrote:

Is that an Aeroquip fitting? CHEATURZ!

With the first hose I made myself, NOT-CHEATURZ!

Well bravo then, carry on.

Silversleeves Racing

65 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 12:01 PM)

Well first things first, hood closes. Good thing, because I did not measure or check anything.other than looking across the hole and saying that looks good. I had to cut out a piece to clear the blue overflow cap, but that was it. Everything fits, now to get everything working.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXam50ek5MZjVLS1U

Ride height is close, but still need to balance. Tires clear after removing 2" from opening, fender flares need to be done (Yeah, more sheet metal work). Tires ordered, Troy is the BOMB! Chi thanks for the tire info. I wanted to run BFGs, but they don't make 200 treadwear BAJA T/As. Plus 65lbs a tire kills our unsprung weight. Rivals it is.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXQXI3OUF4SzZiMlk

Four weeks to go and guess what? Compressor takes a crap, rod seized to crank. No air, can't run tools, can't cut parts, can't lift cars, Work stops. One of the other team members has a compressor to borrow, but spent most of the day changing out compressors. Now looking for replacement pump. Needs to be at least 10.2 cfm @ 90 psi and can be run by 6hp motor. There's another $300 down the drain. Well, it is going to have to wait. RACECAR.

Try northern tool for compressor head or I have a 20cfm two stage that ran on 5 hp motor collecting dust.

The fifth Element Porsche 924

Cobra rep wrote:

Try northern tool for compressor head or I have a 20cfm two stage that ran on 5 hp motor collecting dust.

PM sent.

69 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 12:02 PM)

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! CAR WAS DRIVEN! REPEAT! CAR WAS DRIVEN!

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXdDRkLUJIazhaTXc

It was a huge relief, all 4/10 of a mile. At least the car made it back home under its own power.

That puts us nearly three weeks ahead of last year, when the first drive happened the Friday night before the race. Still some bugs to work out, squeaks and stuff. Car does not want to turn, could be the bald tires we are running. Need to get the car up to speed and see what it can do. Finish wiring and sheet metal work this week, theme next week, we might even get a test day in before the race. Yeah right, I will be glad to feel a pillow the week before the race. JAGVAIR LIVES!

Bravo! I look forward to racing against this fine machine! Sorry, "Racing"....
We will be campaigning our American-engined British car again, so I am looking forward to seeing this in the flesh!

Silversleeves Racing

71 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2015-06-24 10:25 AM)

swindrum wrote:

Bravo! I look forward to racing against this fine machine! Sorry, "Racing"....
We will be campaigning our American-engined British car again, so I am looking forward to seeing this in the flesh!

New class idea: Allied/Axis power class. Body and drivetrain must be from 2 or more members of the Allied or Axis powers. Winner gets Germany!

72 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 12:11 PM)

Jagvair News: 10 days left and still have a huge list and there are some things that we are NOT going to get to. No rear wing, no front splitter, no wipers or lights, there just is not time for those things. I have spent the better part of the week removing extraneous wiring from the car just to get to a point where I feel I can run the harness for the race. I still do not feel good about the wiring as a few of the test drives today were interrupted by loss of spark due to a variety of issues including blown fuses and relays. Thank you, Joseph Lucas.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXQzM4b1E0cXE3ZTQ

Here is a 2' by 3' box that is 1' deep filled with all the wiring not necessary to run the Jag (I hope). The box currently weighs 55 LBS!

https://youtu.be/kPiKc1_6_jU

Here is a vid of one of the successful runs today, car still needs fender flares. Yeah, more sheet metal work! Please note how surprised my wife is at the fact that the car runs nice. Some of the runs were ECM relay shortened, while some were hampered by the car going into "limp mode". That is when the car does not change gears, brought on by forgetting to plug the TPS back in. I am learning way too much about Jags. Why did we not pick a Subaru or something that was easier? Reason: car cost $230, scrapped it for $175, total cost of drivetrain $55. I spent more on the oil cooler hose than the car, Lemons priorities. That left $444.20 for our fancy (import) radiator, fancy oil cooler, alternator, and front shocks (still have not shown up yet). I am just focused on the things necessary for Tech, hopefully we can start on the theme this weekend. Oh, it's July 4th, going to miss some fireworks.

73 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 12:12 PM)

Well here is my 2015 PNW wrapup. First, let me take you through the final days leading up to the race. I spent July 4th and the following week under a welding hood, finishing all the sheet metal work in the fender wells and tunnel. I'm welding in the driver's front wheel well and notice a bright light in the engine compartment, FIRE! Pull the hood pins and find the coolant overflow ablaze. It was just the rubber mount, no big worry, but managed to melt our oil pressure gauge to the fender. I load all the wiring back into the car and try to start it, turns over, but won't start. That was Thursday (7/9) morning, I say screw it and continue to work on the wiring. I remove what I hope is the last of the unnecessary wiring and mount all of the control boxes, fuse blocks and dash. Try to start it and I smell burning plastic, the diode on the engine management computer is burning. I trace the wiring and swap in a new ground and VROOM! Now I can pack a little while the paint is finished. Here's a pic of the base:

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXbC1xRk05aGtWbWM

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXVFlkT25LLWhRT0E

74 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 12:13 PM)

Next, I spend the rest of Thursday getting the trailer and parts ready while the car is getting painted. We finish all the pre-race checks: belts, fluids hoses, etc. and I get to bed around Midnight. Actually sleeping before a race is a new experience for me. Get up early to finish odds and ends (zip tie crap) and start loading the truck and trailer. I wanted to leave at 9 to be at the ridge by 11 for practice, at 9 we are just getting the tool boxes loaded. Now the moment of truth, will the car start and get in the trailer. The engine roars to life, the brakes feel good and the trans makes a reassuring clunk into gear. Yeah! We don't have to push the car on the trailer! Now to strap down the car and get the hell out of Dodge. Three hours later and the doors on the trailer are going up. Stop and get fuel and we are on our way! We reach The Ridge at about 3 and unload the car, put on the final graphics, and head over to Tech. Judge Tom starts looking over the car and when the hood is popped open, it was like moths to the flame, people started whispering, carrier pigeons were released. "Did they really put a Jag in that Corvair?" Tech had its problems: tank vent wrong (too short), kill switch didn't work (I hooked it up wrong Friday morning after it had been hooked up right) and I needed to add some more protection for the fuel cell. No big deal, head back to the trailer, bust out the generator and welder, get to work. After two hours measuring, cutting, fitting and burning my arms and legs welding, the protection was in place (good thing I brought that extra cage tubing). Tech had closed by then, so the car was parked and camp was set up. Around 7, found Steve and got the tech sheet signed off. WOW, I get to sleep the night before the race! Here is a pic in race trim:

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXekdqdkVsdjlvVEk

75 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 12:13 PM)

Lastly, how did the race go? Well, we started the morning on our 460TW tires from last year to make sure nothing rubbed. Once the car settled, we ended moving the fender lip out and removing most of the original Corvair fender (Jag is a little wider). Once the car was sorted and had some laps on it we switched over to BFG Rivals, holy cow, does it make a difference. Had everybody go out for a few laps to get used to the car and then started doing 30 min runs. I got my first black flag, for contact, spun the Rustbucket Ranch Racing Duster (don't worry everyone was fine and I have apologized already). Remembered that endurance racing is YOU AGAINST THE COURSE not you against other racers. That's when the brakes showed their weakness, boiled the brake fluid, guess the car is heavier than I thought. We were also running 2:16 laps, which didn't help. Our neighbors, MacGyver Motorsports, were nice to lend us some Blue and we were back out on the track. Still had some minor front tire rub, but nothing to be concerned about. Ah, Sunday morning, forget about the black flags and make some clean smooth laps, extended our runs to an hour until the car came in when the rear suspension bushing failed, after that at the end of the front straight it would do this unholy unload of the rear end. Almost got into a tank slapper once when I took her to the limit, no triple digits after that. Day ended with an hour left to fuel rail issue (no return, probably should have cleaned it out better). Looking back, great weekend! Quadrupled our lap count from last year, car was great with minor issues, and went home with some jewelry. Wife is pissed, thought this may be my last race, she was expecting to go to Europe next summer. Now, I have all theses things to fix on the car before PNW 2016!

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXNXJKTjVYVWRoOUU

They can have this trophy when they pry it from my cold, dead hand.