Re: My first Lemons build - What am I screwing up?

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m343/JonathanJorda/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150701_184920316_zpsnvgyiifv.jpg

Another picture.  The rear wheel was pushed up probably a good foot.  The hit was hard enough that the doors won't open and the radiator was knocked loose.

Hope it isn't taken as vulture-ish, but I mean this in the spirit of helping a fellow racer-

parting out plans for the 124? As I mentioned, we have a '74 Spider and a Locost under construction using Fiat 124 guts... I  always need something and would rather PayPal somebody building a LeMon than some random junkyard owner. If you're eyeing another Fiat build, please disregard. But if you wanted to find a new home for those fresh brakes, shocks, etc.,... Hell, is that an Abarth muffler? You get my drift. Let me know.

This sucks, man, I thought nothing compared to my Saab getting smashed after owning it for ten days. This after saving for six months and haggling for another two months. getting your racer crunched terminally on the side of the street? Seriously?!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I was planning on parting it out best I can.  I'll find out what the deal is with the insurance company and let you know.  I've got a good bit of parts that didn't even make it on to the car yet.

Mother Fucker!

I hope you're OK

I've got an unused Lemons pinto wagon that only needs a head swap (head is sitting in the car).  Leafblower supercharger is currently not installed.

All I'd ask in payment is that I get to drive it.
We're in SE PA, would be easy for you to pick up.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Mother Fucker!

I hope you're OK

/agree

I responded to your post in our For Sale ad for the BMW. The car is available and < 1 hour away from you. Call me on my cell 516-203-6940 if you want to talk.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I'm sorry that all of your efforts were punted by an inattentive driver but on the bright side:
- this happened before a race vs. at the race so there is still time to recover (I.e.: get a car to your planned race). IMO, it would suck more if you were rear ended at the race (say on day 1) and had already paid up.
- The insurance payout might be a silver lining here and you could get more than you paid in (esp if you can get them to cover the cage install costs). Perhaps some creative accounting can happen here. smile
- You might make an additional profit flipping all of your FIAT parts.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Mother Fucker!

That was exactly what I had to say when I saw the pic. One of the first cars I can kinda remember is my dad's old green 124 Sports Coupe. I SO wanted to see this at Thompson, but I'm guessing there's 100s of hours of rework to make a custom rear subframe over the crumbled rust.

I hope you're OK

Me too.

I've got an unused Lemons pinto wagon that only needs a head swap (head is sitting in the car).  Leafblower supercharger is currently not installed.

All I'd ask in payment is that I get to drive it.
We're in SE PA, would be easy for you to pick up.

If there are any 2.3 Ford parts needed (provided you go the Pinto route), I'll dig through my pile to help.

Damn!  I didn't say it yesterday, but I do hope you're ok.  Cars can be replaced.  I hope you weren't hurt.

Thanks for all the kind words and offers.  I'm a bit sore with a few bruises the size of a softball, but it could've been lots worse.  I should hear back from the insurance adjuster next week, but I'm pretty sure the car is going to be totalled.  Just a hunch. The whole back of the car would need to be rebuilt to get this driving again - it looks like the rear control arms were torn out of the body. 

Now, how is an insurance payout counted against the $500 budget?  Exempt?

Jonathan wrote:

Now, how is an insurance payout counted against the $500 budget?  Exempt?

Judge Phil will make a ruling I'm sure, but I feel that the insurance payout should count towards the next car as "budget exempt" just for having to go through the ass pain of buying, building, caging, and testing two Fiats.

Others may have differing opinions...

Hamsa

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

Tragic. this was a really cool car and I only recently saw your thread and skimmed through it, was going to read the whole thing one evening when I had a moment. Anyway, just a suggestion, might be lame and would certainly be a letdown from the Fiat, but there is a guy on here getting rid of a E30 BMW for $100 right now. No motor in it, so wondering how much work, or sense, involved in making the Fiat motor work in the BMW. sure does seem like a cheap deal anyway.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=30278

Wow - I came in at the end of the thread and didn't realize this was a _street_ hit!

Just from a sense of fairness, the guy who hit you now has to give you his car as a Lemons car in return for yours, right? smile

If you need/want any help in dealing with the insurance company, I work for one and would be happy to give any advice to help you through the process.  My email is abbottcd at the gmails.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Damn it, I was looking forward to seeing this car in a race! Anyway, as long as you don't use the insurance money to get something all boring/cheaty, all will be well during the BS inspection.

I would love to see the Fiat drivetrain transplanted into a Chrysler product, with a Sergio Marchionne theme. How about a Valiant with Fiat power? I tried to talk the Roadkill guys into doing that with their Fury when they blew the motor at Chuckwalla (there was a junkyard nearby with a 124 Spider), but they thought it was too blasphemous an idea.

As much as I'd love to swap the Fiat driveline into a different chassis, my fabrication skills just aren't up to the level where I'd be able to successfully take on a project like that.  I've got little kids, so my garage time is a bit limited - at this point I'd rather try to spend the hours on something that I can finish, so I think it'll be somewhat stock cars for now.  I'll try to find another Fiat in the Northeast, or I'll turn the engine into a table for the new garage I'm building.  We'll see what I can find!

There has been a rusty AC coupe on ebay.
Might be worth looking at.

Tom, do you have a link?  I tried looking but couldn't find it.

Damn that sucks. My fist car was a 124 Coupe and I loved the idea of seeing your Coupe on the track. The 1608 is a great motor and the engine electronics are simple, the rest of the car not so much. I really hope you can find another Coupe to build.

While it's not a 124 Coupe there is an 850 Spyder on CL here in Tampa. The 1608 will swap in to this car and double your displacement.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/5069269887.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00m0m_eNvwSWXcmCN_600x450.jpg

Jonathan wrote:

Tom, do you have a link?  I tried looking but couldn't find it.

Hey Jon,
I went looking for it again also. Looks like it either sold or the owner hasn't reposted it. sad

Tom, thanks for looking.  If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was pretty far gone. 

I think the 850 is totally different.  And I think the wheelbase is too short.

Wow, that's terrible.  Glad you're okay though.  Hopefully you can find something in time for CT.

Team Drago Motorsports

The insurance adjuster was out, he agreed that the car is totalled. 

Sonic, how does the insurance buyback number get determined?  The adjuster said it was the insurance company that determined the number, and the insurance company said that the adjuster would determine it. 

If it makes any difference, the policy is an agreed value policy.

In the past, that number was whatever the salvage company of record would give them plus $X.  In my case it was + $200.  I got a perfectly repairable 1990 Volvo 240 for $500.  My tires were worth that and I sold of $600 in parts, kept a few, then scrapped the car for about $200.

Jonathan wrote:

The insurance adjuster was out, he agreed that the car is totalled. 

Sonic, how does the insurance buyback number get determined?  The adjuster said it was the insurance company that determined the number, and the insurance company said that the adjuster would determine it. 

If it makes any difference, the policy is an agreed value policy.

I would've assumed an agreed upon value policy meant you got that much if it was totaled minus the deductible

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

The payout is the agreed value - what's in question is the cost for me to keep the car so I can salvage parts off of it.  The way I understand it, is they give me a check for the agreed value, they haul off the car for salvage.  I want to keep the car for partz.