Topic: Race number colors

So the rules say white numbers on black. I see lots of cars with different color arrangements. We'd like to do black numbers on white background but don't want to fail tech and have to deal with it Friday night. Thoughts? Experience?

Driving like a girl for 33 years.

Re: Race number colors

Make sure they are large and contrasting colors to the background and you should not have any issues. They need to be read by the corner workers, starter and control tower.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Mine follow the rules so well that the corner workers call our numbers all the time for no reason. Lol

Black on white has been fine for us for 5 years... Although, they probably don't even call our number... Just say, "that damned yellow car with handprints f-ed up again."

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

We have black on white. No problems. They're BIG.

Chief Gadget Inspector
Fifteen-time Loser
S13 240SX (bent)

It's always best to check with us beforehand if you have any doubts about your car numbers. Try to imagine that you're a 75-year-old flagger with cataracts and a vicious Five O'Clock Vodka hangover, squinting at car numbers through a cloud of dust and oil smoke with the sun in your eyes. Would the numbers on your car be decipherable under those conditions?

The main thing is to have it contrasting.  Could help if you go slightly larger than the minimum  for the text, and not have a lot of other words or designs going on around it so it doesn't blend in.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Choose a straight forward block font, nothing fancy.

Also, do not use stencils or fill in the gaps that typical stencils leave.

9 (edited by rodknox2 2015-07-06 11:14 AM)

Don't quote me on this but...I think a prior version of the rules stated the numbers should be either black on white or white on black.  We started in '08 with a white car so the numbers were black...https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7011/6680450965_e991a0d713_q.jpgMiss Piggy

When we switched to a red same kind of car, it was easier to mask over the numbers and  paint the white doors and hood red than it was to skin out the red doors/hood...https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3942/18849914944_c4a286495d_q.jpgP7160428

Tech never said we had to use a black background on the red car.

So, to quote you on that....

rodknox2 wrote:

Don't quote me on this but...I think a prior version of the rules stated the numbers should be either black on white or white on black.

Yes, at the very least the 2011 version of the rules stated "Numbers must be white on black background or black on white background--all other designs must be approved in advance by the Organizers."

I have to admit I hadn't noticed the change in wording to only white on black before now.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

This is the number in question. 12"

http://i59.tinypic.com/i4iedj.jpg

No you may not buy those SWEET 14" wheels that came with our $300 powerhouse smile

Driving like a girl for 33 years.

I have those same wheels in 15s if you are looking for more.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

If you follow our car-number rules exactly, you will have no hassles. If you want to deviate from those rules to match your theme, we might cut you some slack, but no promises made. That's why it's best to email me or Jeff Glenn or John Pagel with your idea before you go to all the hassle of putting any work/money into it.