Topic: Road America as a fan

Going to Road America in a couple of weeks to watch the nascar boys go around and wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks, like where to watch and good food stands?

Thanks

Re: Road America as a fan

http://www.roadamerica.com/media/wysiwy … p_2014.pdf

The Plymouth Kiwanis hut (#16 on the map) had pretty good food the last time I was there. It's also a good spot to watch from, since you can see turns 5 and 14 and the front straight. Other good places to spectate are the blechers at turn 5, Canada Corner, the Carousel, and the Sargento bridge.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

would you recommend bringing a chair or something to sit on? I don't know how busy it will be

Theres no bad place to watch the racing @ RA! If you've never been then u need to make a point of exploring as much as you can. Lots of fun trails through the woods. Around the carousel, by the kink, Canada corner. The food is amazing everywhere too. Gotta stop by the lions club food building by turn 6 top of the hill.

I was supposed to go last weekend for the Tudor series but couldn't make it... Its the greatest track in North America in my opinion

addict#52 wrote:

would you recommend bringing a chair or something to sit on? I don't know how busy it will be

I wouldn't simply due to the shear size of the place. It's also quite hilly. Unless you plan on staying at one spot for the duration of the race, you might get tired of lugging it around.

True... only lame thing is the paddock is closed for the nascar event

addict#52 wrote:

True... only lame thing is the paddock is closed for the nascar event

This, combined with the full-course yellows, make NASCAR my least favorite event to watch at RA.

Still an awesome weekend, love camping at the track and not having to worry about anything except running out of beer.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

Yeah... See what it's like, this is my yearly trip with a buddy, he hauls me to a baseball game ( which eh fun enough) and I drag him to a race ( which he feels like what I do towards baseball) and this was the next closest track, did Iowa last year, saw Indy qualifying, which was sweet!, and then a truck race which was good

I you can, try to make it to the Trans Am race on Thursday as well. Those cars are incredible!

Yeah wouldn't mind seeing them or the tudor guys, would have to probably find someone else to go with though...

Well on the way to Wisconsin, might get an interesting sight, rain is in the forecast! Stock cars with rain tires and windshield wipers big_smile

Made it, rain moved out so no rain tire action hmm

Was pretty sweet, full course cautions are lame, hills are lame, didn't know you could park anywhere and we where chumps and parked by the main gate, as a whole there really is no bad place to watch, vendors are reasonable if not cheap, would love to come back at watch some more road tuned cars

We watched ALMS there in 2012 and really enjoyed it, so I'd imagine Tudor will still be a good event to go see. I'm glad you enjoyed the NASCAR event but by all means get over there for some sports-car action.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Will definitely look into it, to bad Lemons doesn't run there, another Midwest race would be nice...

addict#52 wrote:

Will definitely look into it, to bad Lemons doesn't run there...

Actually,Lemons has run there..http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/17_rdam1_sml_zpsafchdx3u.jpg.

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

BigBird wrote:
addict#52 wrote:

Will definitely look into it, to bad Lemons doesn't run there...

Actually,Lemons has run there..http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/17_rdam1_sml_zpsafchdx3u.jpg.

I know they have, be nice if they came back

I may or may not work for a Trans Am team and just left Road America. The food stand on the hill as you come in the main gate is fantastic. They have a brisket sandwich as well as funnel cake fries with powered sugar. I seriously dont know how i got anything done this week i was there so much.

This place is massive and if you dont have a bike or moped i dont know how you could see the whole track.

The go kart track there is fantastic with a ton of elevation changes and a million course configurations. They are nazis about "racing", using the curbs, spin outs etc.

The BEST restroom facilities of any track ive been to. Seriously shocked me even the porter potties were plentiful and clean. Id say there is at least 1-2 porter johns for every pit box  and their 20 feet away from the pit wall. Was awesome to be able to relieve yourself and also be able to quickly get back to the wall.

Thats all i got

I still the Autobahn Country club has better bathrooms but all the facilities there are really nice, and the concession stands are top notch.  I believe they are also run by charities so even the money goes to a good cause.

From what I understand, the reason Lemons isn't running there is because they couldn't get on the calendar.  As far as I know we are still on good terms with the track.  I can't think of anything we did that would have annoyed them.  I know they were a bit surprised by somethings we did on the track the first race. (corner workers I guess aren't used to seeing 3 wide going down the carousel or into Canada corner)  The turn out for a Monday Tuesday race wasn't all that good, and the November 1-2 race was really pressing our luck, plus I think that having Saturday Sunday on the 1-2 of November meant they just kept the track open 2 days longer than normal.   If a weekend opens at Road America that works I'm sure Lemons would go to RA again.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page