Topic: They keep discontinuing my tires.

Direzza ZI Star Specs, now the RE-11a's.  The replacements don't seem to hold up to what they were replacing.  Our Civic is ~2500lb on 15X7 wheels.  We've been running 20/50R15 tires on them.

We've tried the Rivals and the previous gen (non-Star Spec?) of the ZII's.  Both had issues with longevity.

I was really happy with the RE-11a's that we've been running the last couple of races.  They apparently are being replaced by the RE-71R.  Anyone run them yet in a similar size?  Do they hold up?

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Re: They keep discontinuing my tires.

The ZII star specs are supposed to be pretty good. Thanks to all the interest in TW180 racing tire racing, companies are getting antsy with tire models which is kind of a pain. You think that's bad, try finding a 14" that isn't for a Miata.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

We have been running the ZIIs 205/50R-15 on 8" wheels for about a year and a half now. We do quite well with them. They last for about two-three races and a random test day before the race. The team likes them over the Falcons because they don't get as greasy on a hot day, and if it's not wet we have no issues running them backwards.

I am thinking about testing the BFG Rival 225/45zr-15, as I hear good things. But not till these ones are done.

shouldnthave wrote:

I am thinking about testing the BFG Rival 225/45zr-15, as I hear good things. But not till these ones are done.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you better hurry if you want to try the Rivals. Those have also been discontinued. Tire Rack has them on closeout. We switched over to them last year, and I think I'm going to grab 4 more before they're all gone.

SpaceFrank wrote:
shouldnthave wrote:

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you better hurry if you want to try the Rivals. Those have also been discontinued. Tire Rack has them on closeout. We switched over to them last year, and I think I'm going to grab 4 more before they're all gone.

Really?! Geeees...

I was watching the review of the Bridgstone Potenza RE-71R. They say it's really good tire, but it doesn't sound like it will last very long. Has anyone tried them?

There are always the Falken Azenis RT615K 205/50R15.  And before you ask, no I did not check if that profile fits 7" wheels.

OnkelUdo wrote:

There are always the Falken Azenis RT615K 205/50R15.  And before you ask, no I did not check if that profile fits 7" wheels.

Been running these on 7 inch wide wheels since our second race without issues.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

8 (edited by OnkelUdo 2015-09-01 10:36 AM)

Brett85p wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

Been running these on 7 inch wide wheels since our second race without issues.

But the real question is if we want to reduce rolling resistance can we mount them on 4" wide space-saver spare tire wheels.  I mean, think of the fuel economy gain while still having EXACTLY the same grip.  We could run a for 7-hour day on a single cup of fuel but corner with the big boys like the Cordoba.

this is a nice website
http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre- … calculator
7" wheel, takes ideal 205,215
6.5" takes ideal 195,205

There is an aspect ratio in play as well, but this one just generalize for simplicity.
The smaller aspect ratio the more wheel width becomes more important.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

10 (edited by st_rage 2015-09-01 05:54 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:

The ZII star specs are supposed to be pretty good. Thanks to all the interest in TW180 racing tire racing, companies are getting antsy with tire models which is kind of a pain. You think that's bad, try finding a 14" that isn't for a Miata.

We did.  That's why we have 15" wheels now.  I've got 8 old 14" rims if you want them.

11 (edited by st_rage 2015-09-01 05:54 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:

We ran these just before and after the K compound was introduced.  They were super cheap, like $50/tire cheap, as the pre-K tires were being discontinued.  Then we discovered the ZI Star Spec's.  The Azeni's weren't terrible, but did get greasy on us.

kakarot1232001 wrote:

this is a nice website
6.5" takes ideal 195,205

There is an aspect ratio in play as well, but this one just generalize for simplicity.

Ok I'm super confused now. Did that with my Fox t-bird's 14x5.5 rims and it listed off 175 and 185 14's of various sidewall heights.

The Car's spec tire is a 215/70HR14. Which is beyond what the tool says is a maximum with.

What is the deal here?

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Guildenstern wrote:
kakarot1232001 wrote:

this is a nice website
6.5" takes ideal 195,205

Ok I'm super confused now. Did that with my Fox t-bird's 14x5.5 rims and it listed off 175 and 185 14's of various sidewall heights.

The Car's spec tire is a 215/70HR14. Which is beyond what the tool says is a maximum with.

What is the deal here?

215mm is almost 8.5".  That's 3" wider than your rim, or 1.5" of bulge per side.  lol.

Definitely not ideal for cornering...should be nice and cushy though.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

st_rage wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

We ran these just before and after the K compound was introduced.  They were super cheap, like $50/tire cheap, as the pre-K tires were being discontinued.  Then we discovered the ZI Star Spec's.  The Azeni's weren't terrible, but did get greasy on us.

As they seem to be reliably available for about $100 a tire delivered (less occasionally) and I have yet to see them out of stock, this might be your new/old option.

the shaolin wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
kakarot1232001 wrote:

this is a nice website
6.5" takes ideal 195,205

What is the deal here?

215mm is almost 8.5".  That's 3" wider than your rim, or 1.5" of bulge per side.  lol.

Definitely not ideal for cornering...should be nice and cushy though.

Dam, ye, that is a cushy ride there.
Based on voodoo science of suspension designs, having proper wheel/tire match means that tire is stiffest possible at same pressure compared to other tires. Cause sidewall is perpendicular to the axis of rotation. Since tire is undamped item, that is why stiffer the better. So it maximizes that. Based on the book, all undamped items need to be as stiff as possible, so they would not effect the control model of the car.

But I may be understanding it not correctly. I am no mage in that field by any means.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

I mean it was on a Fox Thinderbird so yea cushy. But, should I be going down in with with this? Assuming my wheel dimensions are correct, which they should be, Can I get into a 185 or something on this without horrible catastrophe? I just need them to drive the car around in, getting bigger rims to race.

I generally have no Idea about the voodoo of tire fitment.

shouldnthave wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:
shouldnthave wrote:

Really?! Geeees...

I was watching the review of the Bridgstone Potenza RE-71R. They say it's really good tire, but it doesn't sound like it will last very long. Has anyone tried them?

We (Purple S-10) ran the 71Rs at Autobahn for the 24 hour race.  In the mid day heat on Saturday, and into our third driver (me) they were getting very greasy.  I didn't like these tires as much as the non-S Rivals we ran previously.  These had no real audible feedback, so was hard to tell when you were overdriving them.  The tires never let loose on us, be we ( I ) rolled the sidewalls pretty good during my first stint.  Performance was good though when the cooled down.  After an hour electrical fix about 3 AM on Sunday and cooler temps we started to run our fastest times of the event.

I really liked the non-S Rivals, but those have been updated now for autocross (quick heat generation, not longevity).  I think our next tire is possibly the RS-3's.  They like the heat more from my autocross experience.

Statically Indeterminate: #58 '95 Purple S-10 (Flyin' Purple People Eater)
2014: Gingerman x 2 | 2015: Gingerman, Autobahn (24 Hours!) | 2016 Gingerman (April) | 2017 Gingerman (April)