Topic: Haulin' a crapcan into Canada, anyone with experience?

Just wondering if any of you guys have trailered your crapcan into the great white north, and wondering how it went.   

I know the other series has gone up there, so some of you addicted racers must've gone. 

Easy? Hard?
     Do you have to have title for your racecar? 
      An inventory of everything in/on your tow rig and trailer?   
      Where did you cross the boarder?   
     Was it hard to get back into the US?   

Thanks in advance for any answers!

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

2 (edited by cheseroo 2015-10-12 12:11 PM)

Re: Haulin' a crapcan into Canada, anyone with experience?

I hate to steer you to their forum but this subject has been fairly extensively covered over there.  Sean (user "swindrum" on this forum) lives in Canada and does a number of Lemons races (Landcrab, Riley, Barbie Vette) so you might ask him directly.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I hate to steer you to their forum but this subject has been fairly extensively covered over there.  Sean (user "swindrum" on this forum) lives in Canada and does a number of Lemons races (Landcrab, Riley, Barbie Vette) so you might ask him directly.

As much as it pains me, I'll go look. 

-John

Evil Genius wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

-John

You have mail so that you don't have to dig through that forum.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

5 (edited by Evil Genius 2015-10-12 02:20 PM)

therood wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

-John

You have mail so that you don't have to dig through that forum.

Yeah, thanks Eric.   

I tried to search their forums, but, 'border' is a blocked term?   WTF?      I looked for a while under 'Canada', but didn't get anywhere, I'm such a freakin' luddite.

6 (edited by mharrell 2015-10-12 06:23 PM)

I took this street-legal car on this trailer to Canada behind this tow car for a car show in North Vancouver:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4103/5072064860_40c4820cda.jpg

The Canadian officer just wanted to know whether I was "planning to leave anything in Canada" in a tone suggesting he was about to accuse me of intent to litter. He didn't ask for any paperwork.  The US officers (three of them) looked inside the trailered car and asked whether it was, indeed, already registered in Washington in accordance with the plates, but again didn't ask to actually see the paperwork. I wouldn't try it without either a title or registration at hand, though.

Edit: I suppose the moral of this story is that as long as you're doing something that's not only manifestly stupid but also exceedingly unlikely to be motivated by the prospect of illicit financial gain, they probably won't waste their time with you. Probably.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

We have trailered rally cars up to Canada numerous times over the last 4-5 years without a problem.  They have never asked to look at documentation nor have they felt the need to crawl through the tow vehicle.  The only difference I can see is that the rally cars are registered for the street, but that never came up in our chats when crossing the border.  We still create a list of items we have in the van and car in case they ask.

One hint though, never use the collective 'we' when you are the only one in the vehicle.  One of our crew did that when coming back to the US, but he was driving solo in his own car.  That caused a bit of a delay while he explained that the other parts of 'we' were driving in other cars behind him....

Dave

ERM Racing:  NHMS 2016 - Organizer's Choice Award. NHMS 2015 - Judge's Choice Award. NHMS 2014 - "Most work to make an Unrecognizable Movie Car Award" Team Ludicrous Speed:  NHMS Fall 2013 - driver, NHMS Spring 2013 -  support crew, NHMS Fall 2012 - Corner Marshal (How not to Flip Your Car)

8 (edited by Bayley 2015-10-13 06:00 AM)

Registration and / or title for both the trailer and vehicle getting towed will clear of 99% of the problems that might arise during border crossings. Make sure all the VIN numbers match the registration or title.  If the car is missing a VIN or proper title, there is a good possibility it will get impounded if customs decides to check your documents.

If the trailer and / or vehicle is not registered to you, or somebody that will be travelling in the vehicle with you, get a NOTARIZED letter from the trailer / vehicle owner stating the intent of your travels into Canada. I've taken manufacturer vehicles into Canada on many occasions and these letters have always been sufficient. 9 out of 10 times, they don't even ask for the letter:

"This vehicle belong to Chrylser? You poor bastard. Move along now..."

For the record, getting back into the USA is a much bigger pain in the ass than getting into Canada.

The Pentastar whisperer

Sorry for the delayed response, Canadian thanksgiving up here, tryptophan coma...

I have hauled the Mini/Wolseley back and forth across the border many times now, When we return to Canada, the Border is most concerned that we are claiming all the items we have purchased in the US so they can gather all of the taxes and duties. It is at this point we have a good laugh about how taking a race car to the US leaves NO money for buying frivolous things that aren't fuel and oil. Once in a while they ask to see the "Race Car" and then the border guards have a good laugh and send us on our way.

Coming into the US is about the same, we tell them what we are doing and one in a while they want to see what is in the trailer, much laughter ensues and we are sent on our way. The only record of ownership we have is a Chump Logbook, our car is a salvage from a scrapyard and there was not title or transfer.

One time we has a US border guy tell us that we should really get some ownership papers for the car, I was sincere when I asked if he had any idea how I could do that (salvage car, blah, blah...) he replied that he had no idea either, smiled and sent us on our way.

Silversleeves Racing https://www.facebook.com/groups/487324281329732
Ford/Lotus Cortina #41, Austin Mini #42, MG1100 #44, Barbie's Corvette #44, Mazda Miata #48, Austin 1800 #49

swindrum wrote:

One time we has a US border guy tell us that we should really get some ownership papers for the car, I was sincere when I asked if he had any idea how I could do that (salvage car, blah, blah...) he replied that he had no idea either, smiled and sent us on our way.

That is because you are terribly charismatic and polite.

EvilGenius is neither.

He's boned.

On the plus side, they serve poutine in Canadian prison...

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/9-01-2015/oEN3oo.gif

Silversleeves Racing https://www.facebook.com/groups/487324281329732
Ford/Lotus Cortina #41, Austin Mini #42, MG1100 #44, Barbie's Corvette #44, Mazda Miata #48, Austin 1800 #49

Spank wrote:
swindrum wrote:

That is because you are terribly charismatic and polite.

EvilGenius is neither.

He's boned.

Hey, I got across the border with a truck, trailer and tractor a few years back, I was nice, but I was really helped by my cute 4 year old daughter, she stole the show and distracted the border guard...

Be cautious with your words. We were coming into the U.S. across Tecate and they asked about fruits and vegetables. We replied no, we had not purchased any in Mexico. He asked again and made a gesture towards the center console. On the console was a plastic bag with the hot carrots in it from the taco shop. We did not have to go to secondary, but it did add some tension to the situation.

Watch "We're the Millers" right before you go, so you can get into character.

Now that I typed that, I am probably on some Blacklist somewhere.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

I will preface this with - I am a zero on the suspicion scale, polite, middle aged white woman. Coming into the U.S. at Peace Arch one time I had a little box of strawberries I was eating. Intended to dump what was left at border. After the agent waved through about 6 GYPSY JOKERS!!! I pull up with my berries ready to dump. Nope! Spent about 1 1/2 hours waiting while they searched my truck. A couple years later coming off a ferry from Maine into Yarmouth... Didn't even have berries. They asked how much cash I had. Not much - credit card. Probably took 2 hours that time. WTF? Good luck.

Driving like a girl for 33 years.

Fergus' Fault wrote:

I will preface this with - I am a zero on the suspicion scale, polite, middle aged white woman. Coming into the U.S. at Peace Arch one time I had a little box of strawberries I was eating. Intended to dump what was left at border. After the agent waved through about 6 GYPSY JOKERS!!! I pull up with my berries ready to dump. Nope! Spent about 1 1/2 hours waiting while they searched my truck. A couple years later coming off a ferry from Maine into Yarmouth... Didn't even have berries. They asked how much cash I had. Not much - credit card. Probably took 2 hours that time. WTF? Good luck.

Remind me never to travel OOC with you.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Fergus' Fault wrote:

When I made that crossing  into Yarmouth we were waved through... 'Have a good time in Nova Scotia'     It was weird.