1 (edited by Disco 2016-02-10 07:51 AM)

Topic: Fuel cell help!

Hey guys after our first race at Barber in the CRX I have decided that I want to install a 22 or 24 gallon fuel cell into the car.  I have no idea how they are setup and what the best economical approach would be.  The actual installing it into the car looks pretty easy but all the plumbing and pick ups and level sender business is something that I've never done.  Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. 

Disco

" the only good thing hipsters have brought about is the canning of non crappy beers"

Re: Fuel cell help!

You don't need a level sender, not accurate enough to matter. A Holley hydramat is your in-tank pickup, use an external fuel pump, plumb it with used NASCAR braided hose from ebay.

3 (edited by Brett85p 2016-02-10 09:39 AM)

ross2004 wrote:

You don't need a level sender, not accurate enough to matter. A Holley hydramat is your in-tank pickup, use an external fuel pump, plumb it with used NASCAR braided hose from ebay.

What he said plus if you can isolate from driver with metal firewall you don't need an ATL cell you can use a Jaz style cell that has a metal box with plastic bladder. Make sure that you buy with breather and return and pick up capabilities.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Disco, if you're considering other crap can racing series you may want to check their fuel cell capacity rules out. Last I knew they had limits on what size cell you could use (capacity compared to stock) without penalty laps.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

5 (edited by jrbe 2016-02-10 10:54 AM)

-deleted, double post-

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

I'd love to find a used set up.

" the only good thing hipsters have brought about is the canning of non crappy beers"

The offroad guys are the ones who typically have the larger cells on craigslist.  Something to also consider is the extra weight you are adding in the weight of the tank/bladder itself and fuel (6lbs/gal). Since its a fairly small/light car to begin with, the overall percentages are affected to a greater extent than if you put this in a crown vickie.  Seems like there was a miata team on here that said the bigger cell ruined the handling and they kinda wished they hadnt gone to a big cell.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

..... Seems like there was a miata team on here that said the bigger cell ruined the handling and they kinda wished they hadnt gone to a big cell.

They did not need to FILL it to being full, right?  Or am I missing something???

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Small data dump.

Fuel pickups.
Most cells come with "duck bill" pickups in them. They aren't great and usually start to starve for fuel with a couple gallons left, sometimes more. There are two main options used right now to get around this.
1. The new Holly Hydramat. Works amazingly well, but realize that it will give you zero warning that you are low, you will simple stop getting fuel.
2. A system that uses the walbro puck style pickups. For example I have a system that uses 4 of these, one in each corner. They work great, I have run the cell to within a gallon of empty in the past.

Pumps. You can run an external or internal.
External - make sure to mount the pump below or at the bottom level of the fuel cell. That way gravity helps feed your pump and it lives longer. Run an AN line to the top plate of the cell and inside connect to your pickup style of choice. There are a few universal in-line pumps out there (walbro 255, Bosh 044, etc). Or for a cheap alternative, get a pump for a 1989 Ford E series van with the straight 6. It's an inline almost identical to those others, but for less money.
Internal - you have a couple options.
1. A simple pump hooked up to one of the pickup options mentioned above mounted low in the tank.
2. A simple trap door style surge tank mounted low in the cell with the pump pushing out
3. A complex surge tank that uses a low pressure pump to pull from some pickup setup from above that fills the surge tank where a high pressure pump sits and pushes out.

Of those an external pump is the cheapest.

You may not have anything outside the cell that might look like another tank. So no external surge tanks. If you want one it must live inside the cell.

Plumbing is easy. Decide on your pump setup. On the top of the cell you will have 3 lines connected.
1. Fuel supply. This will connect to your main OEM fuel supply line. You can use a very short section of soft fuel injection hose, you can put a flare to AN fitting on the OEM hardline, or find another method of adapting.
2. Fuel return. This should just be attached to your OEM return line from the fuel rail.
3. Vent tube. A long tube that comes out of the cell, raises above it and makes several loops, and then goes down and ends below the bottom level of the cell. This allows the cell to vent, but stops it from siphoning gas out if you roll over.

Hope some of that helps.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Your cell must have foam in it and he foam will break down over time if you pickup doesn't have a sock or is not a hydramat consider a 10 micron inline filter before the external pump and a 100 micron after. The 10 micron will keep the foam out of your filter. It helps to drain when not in use to extend the life of the foam.

Now that Hydramats basically run you dry with no warning, and level sensors only help when you're standing still, is there some kind of reserve warning that might be conceived using a cheaper on/off capacitance sensor some distance above the bottom of the cell?

When you start seeing the light flicker and come on and off you at least know you're down to say an inch of fuel.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Soo much good info here keep it coming.  We are leaning towards the higher dollar ATL cells.

Guildenstern wrote:

Now that Hydramats basically run you dry with no warning, and level sensors only help when you're standing still, is there some kind of reserve warning that might be conceived using a cheaper on/off capacitance sensor some distance above the bottom of the cell?

When you start seeing the light flicker and come on and off you at least know you're down to say an inch of fuel.

Once your car is dialed in, it is just time management.  There are plenty of teams that realistically learn their fuel burn at their fastest, add a buffer and base stints on that.

Ohh boy this is starting to look like its going to cost upwards of 2k.  I guessed at a thousand or so and was OK with that but 2k+.  I dont think I can come up with that kinda scratch.

Install a 1 gallon sump with a separate fuel pump.
Hydromat sucks the bladder dry and the car stumbles/dies flip the switch and RTB.
If you want to get REALLY tricky, make the reserve switch a momentary on switch that
energizes a normally off relay wired to keep itself on once activated. Hit the master kill switch to kill
all power and the relay shuts of making sure that you don't drain the reserve while on track.
Wire in another relay that is normally on that shuts of the main fuel pump when reserve pump is activated,
and resets when power is killed.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Disco wrote:

Ohh boy this is starting to look like its going to cost upwards of 2k.  I guessed at a thousand or so and was OK with that but 2k+.  I dont think I can come up with that kinda scratch.

I think most folks estimate $2-3K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-Gallon-Road- … mp;vxp=mtr

Sell the dry break to pay for a normal fender mount filler. Plumb it, put a pump on, and install a return fitting in the fill plate. You'd be just slightly over $1k.

Can be done for around $500 if you go with a non ATL cell and isolate from the driver as we did.

DelinquentRacer wrote:

Install a 1 gallon sump with a separate fuel pump.
Hydromat sucks the bladder dry and the car stumbles/dies flip the switch and RTB.
If you want to get REALLY tricky, make the reserve switch a momentary on switch that
energizes a normally off relay wired to keep itself on once activated. Hit the master kill switch to kill
all power and the relay shuts of making sure that you don't drain the reserve while on track.
Wire in another relay that is normally on that shuts of the main fuel pump when reserve pump is activated,
and resets when power is killed.

You can do it with a switch over solenoid and having 2 pick ups. Easier and cleaner.
You can set up 2 pick ups, such that is 1 is higher then the other in the tank. Think motorcycle, and how fuel tank is setup.

hydromat is great if you want to use all the fuel in the tank, But think about how long a driver going to be driving.
Your fuel cell may be much larger that what driver can handle, in terms of time. Then if you have like 2-3 gallons of fuel spare, then you dont have to rely on the hydromat. Just my thought on this.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

ross2004 wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-Gallon-Road- … mp;vxp=mtr

Sell the dry break to pay for a normal fender mount filler. Plumb it, put a pump on, and install a return fitting in the fill plate. You'd be just slightly over $1k.

SO this cell is 100% Lemons legal?  Looking at it I dont see a fuel pump in the tank is it safe to assume that it was used with an external pump?

A new cell doesn't erase problems a used cell may not have... To quote myself from an old thread.

"We ordered an ATL 24 gallon cell with a baffle, fuel pump, gauge, etc all installed.  Hooking everything up was straightforward.  Unfortunately the first time it was filled it leaked.  We just sent it back and I have to call there today to see what the hell is going on.  By having everything installed at the factory I thought we could avoid this type of issue, but I was wrong.

Kinda frustrating when a $2400 fuel cell prevents you from completing a race you spent over a 1000 man hours preparing for (Metro build) and $1200 to enter... Must've been why we got "I Got Screwed" award.
So... I'm not sure paying for a cell to be put together is any better than doing it yourself."

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Disco wrote:

SO this cell is 100% Lemons legal?  Looking at it I dont see a fuel pump in the tank is it safe to assume that it was used with an external pump?

It's legal, will just need a metal firewall separating it from the drivers compartment since it doesn't have an FIA cert. That cell would have been used in a stock car with a mechanical fuel pump.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

A new cell doesn't erase problems a used cell may not have... To quote myself from an old thread.

"We ordered an ATL 24 gallon cell with a baffle, fuel pump, gauge, etc all installed.  Hooking everything up was straightforward.  Unfortunately the first time it was filled it leaked.  We just sent it back and I have to call there today to see what the hell is going on.  By having everything installed at the factory I thought we could avoid this type of issue, but I was wrong.

Kinda frustrating when a $2400 fuel cell prevents you from completing a race you spent over a 1000 man hours preparing for (Metro build) and $1200 to enter... Must've been why we got "I Got Screwed" award.
So... I'm not sure paying for a cell to be put together is any better than doing it yourself."

I found this post while I was googling "Lemons fuel cell help". I was shocked to hear about the problem you had with such a high dollar set up!  I know how it is trying to prep for a race.

It's been fine since.  Fuel cells are a pain in the ass.  We have to have one to run 2 1/2-3 hour stints in the car.  If you don't need one to compete at what ever level you are trying to compete at, I would avoid one. 

Not for you, but for new teams, I would avoid a cell till you have the rest of your "issues" worked out.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

It's been fine since.  Fuel cells are a pain in the ass.  We have to have one to run 2 1/2-3 hour stints in the car.  If you don't need one to compete at what ever level you are trying to compete at, I would avoid one. 

Not for you, but for new teams, I would avoid a cell till you have the rest of your "issues" worked out.

This may sound naive but have no issues with our car.  Barber two weeks ago was it maiden voyage and she gave us no problems on race day.  We had a few things to sort out during practice but it was all simple stuff.  Our car is insanely easy on tires and brake pads and it handled better than our driver skill levels could truly appreciate or take advantage of.  So we all sat down after the race and decided that we want/need a huge fuel cell to be competitive with what we have now. 

Why is the fuel cell a "pain in the ass"?  Would you mind elaborating so I'll know better what I'm getting into?  Fabricating and installing will be the easy part for me since I am pretty handy with a welder and plasma cutter.

Thanks again for any and all advice.
Disco