51 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-02-09 05:17 AM)

Re: New 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

mechimike wrote:

I would think a $120 package would be a better deal than cludging on some hokey aftermarket cruise control.

Was still tired last night...corrected my post to $1200.

Cruise is a button swap and PCM/BCM/whatever flash away.  It is drive by wire.

OnkelUdo wrote:
mechimike wrote:

I would think a $120 package would be a better deal than cludging on some hokey aftermarket cruise control.

I did the same thing on my Father in law's tacoma.   All I did was add the stalk to the steering wheel and the clutch cancel switch in it works perfectly.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

OnkelUdo wrote:
mechimike wrote:

That...changes my opinion.  :-)

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

54 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-02-12 06:31 PM)

It is outside as we speak.  Cannot get a decent photo due to the light and shadows but...

First new vehicle I bought myself...ever (unless you count the enclosed trailer).  Also, never even bought the (ex) wife a car without test driving an example of that model and trim...in this case I did not even drive one with the same engine.

I cannot wait to use it in anger but the drive home was revealing:

Steering is about a gazillion turns lock to lock....this will be nice towing on the highway but a little tedious in parking lots.
Odd seating position...but a vast improvement over the bench in Babe.
Weird going back to an auto on a truck.  Holds gears, even without tow/haul engage, much more than I am used to in a modern car.  Actually a lot like my old RWD Volvo...you shift it with your right foot.
Stock AM/FM stereo is not terrible...if it even had an aux input, I would keep it.  as is might just add an FM modulator.
The cab is HUGE inside even though it is a suicide door "Super" cab.
I got my rubber flooring...I am happy.
It needs cruise.  No sense of speed positive or negative.
Oddly, in spite of what my team mate promised, still as rough a city ride as my old truck with air shocks.
Simple HVAC controls a moron can use WITH GLOVES ON!
The number of unfinished pinch welds is a surprise.  Granted, dip galvanized then painted but still mildly surprising.
Even in the short drive, it is obvious this is more stout piece of kit.

55 (edited by Brett85p 2016-02-12 06:21 PM)

Not sure if it's cool or sad but my first ever brand new vehicle was also my Lemons tow vehicle I brought last year. Also very base model but with 13k off for a 2015 in 2015 I was happy.
Mine is only a 1/2 ton but with it pulls great and with the factory warranty it doesn't bother me that I'm towing so much with it.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:

Not sure if it's cool or sad but my first ever brand new vehicle was also my Lemons tow vehicle I brought last year. Also very base model but with 13k off for a 2015 in 2015 I was happy.
Mine is only a 1/2 ton but with it pulls great and with the factory warranty it doesn't bother me that I'm towing so much with it.

Actually, if I remember right, we followed the same path.  First new vehicle was a new enclosed trailer fr our LeMon and now a new tow vehicle for the trailer..for our LeMon.

You discount was better than mine but mine beat Truecar at least.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

Actually, if I remember right, we followed the same path.  First new vehicle was a new enclosed trailer fr our LeMon and now a new tow vehicle for the trailer..for our LeMon.

You discount was better than mine but mine beat Truecar at least.

Good point on the trailer, it's a forcing factor.
You got more truck than me but I have to DD mine due to lack of parking space so I'm ok with the compromise.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

58 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-02-12 06:57 PM)

Brett85p wrote:

You got more truck than me but I have to DD mine due to lack of parking space so I'm ok with the compromise.

Yeah, I only got more truck because I anticipate more meat cargo (4 grown males) and the paddock sectional and console TV pushed us to a just shy of 9K trailer weight.  Such is the price of racevan fame.

I will still DD my truck in warm months but I did the math for a second set of wheels (used) TMPS sensors and snow tires for the truck...yeah, Volvo will stay my winter DD for as long as it takes to wear out those 15" Blizzacks.  Besides my commute is 7 miles each way.

Brand new trailer, brand new truck..... I thought Lemons racing was supposed to be "cheap racing"?

My club race car is a 1988 model, my trailer is early 90's, and my tow vehicle is also a 1988 model van.

The racing is cheap, the support of that racing, not so much.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

jimbbski wrote:

Brand new trailer, brand new truck..... I thought Lemons racing was supposed to be "cheap racing"?

My club race car is a 1988 model, my trailer is early 90's, and my tow vehicle is also a 1988 model van.

Yeah, and your car weighs about what our spares weigh.

Let's just say it was cheap until we decided to start making destination races...even if you ignore the paddock sectional (and I refuse to do so), with the race van, spares and tools we are probably at 8000#.  That old Chevy was fine for "GO" with that weight but woefully under braked.  Even that was OK in the hills but any driving in stop and go got scary (Nashville) if some moron cuts you off when the trailer brakes are already warm.

Add to that we can take 4 to the track and have a little less attention paid to what we throw in the back of the truck or if the trail is a tiny bit nose heavy.

Besides, its my midlife crisis and I can do what I want with it.

OnkelUdo wrote:
jimbbski wrote:

Yeah, and your car weighs about what our spares weigh.

Let's just say it was cheap until we decided to start making destination races...even if you ignore the paddock sectional (and I refuse to do so), with the race van, spares and tools we are probably at 8000#.  That old Chevy was fine for "GO" with that weight but woefully under braked.  Even that was OK in the hills but any driving in stop and go got scary (Nashville) if some moron cuts you off when the trailer brakes are already warm.

Add to that we can take 4 to the track and have a little less attention paid to what we throw in the back of the truck or if the trail is a tiny bit nose heavy.

Besides, its my midlife crisis and I can do what I want with it.

Not sure if you got my email but I have a 25 inch "old school" monitor style TV that you can have for viewing videos at the track. It's free! Just come by and pick it up.

How do you feel about a full size van? I have a 1500 AWD Express as my DD and have driven 2500s from the local vanpool for years. I love my van and it makes an awesome tow vehicle. Plus you can sleep 2 on cots in the back and still leave the second row of seats in. They have a long wheelbase and tow extremely well. Very versatile as a DD: I've hauled lumber, engines, trannys and drove a snowblower into it a couple times.

The 2500s usually have the 6.0L, a terrific engine for towing. I had a long bed, crew cab C2500 with a canopy before my van. Long wheelbase and it was a terrific tow vehicle too. But always felt I was about to cook the dogs in back on a hot day. I wouldn't go back now, full size van FTW!

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

TrenchFoot wrote:

How do you feel about a full size van? I have a 1500 AWD Express as my DD and have driven 2500s from the local vanpool for years. I love my van and it makes an awesome tow vehicle. Plus you can sleep 2 on cots in the back and still leave the second row of seats in. They have a long wheelbase and tow extremely well. Very versatile as a DD: I've hauled lumber, engines, trannys and drove a snowblower into it a couple times.

The 2500s usually have the 6.0L, a terrific engine for towing. I had a long bed, crew cab C2500 with a canopy before my van. Long wheelbase and it was a terrific tow vehicle too. But always felt I was about to cook the dogs in back on a hot day. I wouldn't go back now, full size van FTW!

Mike has already taken delivery of his new tow vehicle.

I do agree with you on vans for towing however. I have a E250 now and I will be looking for a newer E350  this spring. Hopefully a 6.0L diesel with low miles and  an extended body as I have now.

TrenchFoot wrote:

Love vans but need a truck bed for my other pursuits.  It could have gone either way; "combination" open trailer and van or suburban or enclosed trailer and pick up.  I already had the enclosed trailer and my old truck did fine when we had support vehicles but as an only vehicle going to a destination track it would never work.