Topic: Ford V10 time-sert tool

So my 01 E350 pedovan launched a spark plug out of the head.  Spank kindly loaned me his timesert tool but its not for the triton and the seat cutter wont fit.  The tool is $400.  Its a real nice piece but lot of money for a (hopefully) one time deal.  I'm sure someone else has been in this boat, bought the thing and used it once.  If so, would you care to rent yours to me?

Smooches

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Re: Ford V10 time-sert tool

cheseroo wrote:

So my 01 E350 pedovan launched a spark plug out of the head.  Spank kindly loaned me his timesert tool but its not for the triton and the seat cutter wont fit.  The tool is $400.  Its a real nice piece but lot of money for a (hopefully) one time deal.  I'm sure someone else has been in this boat, bought the thing and used it once.  If so, would you care to rent yours to me?

Smooches

Can't help you directly but I find that enthusiast forums for vehicles with known issues that require special tools tend to have an active used tool market or loaner program.  Volvo 240 TAB tool for instance is in constant rotation on the Brickboard.

The nice kits are expensive.  I have seen them on ebay for $100. For a one maybe 2 time thing I would give it a shot.   They are taiwanese and I would treat it as so!

Duck it racing #97

4 (edited by EriktheAwful 2016-02-21 08:30 AM)

My son's '99 Crown Vic spat out a plug over Christmas. I bought the Plugsaver 98140T kit for $160. I can't find a link on Amazon or eBay for it, but I bought it from one of the two.

The instructions say to use high-temp RTV to seal the insert. That doesn't work. I used red loctite, threaded it in, let it sit overnight, and continued the next day.

The flaring tool they include to get the insert to grip the head doesn't work. I have a 3/8" drive 3/8" socket that has a nice taper to it. That worked perfectly.

This video is really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDL3i6mT8V4

I stopped the video as soon as he broke out a drill bit.  No way that fits in the #2 hole on the V10 van.  Or any of the holes really.  The drill motor would want to occupy the same space as the top of the dashboard and about the first 6 inches of windshield.  There isn't shit for room in there.  The spark plug sits down maybe 6 inches from the top of the manifold.  There isn't enough room to get the spark plug socket in there with a 6inch extension.  You have to assemble a 3 piece setup with two 3inch extensions in the hole reaching in from the back of the motor.  It's sorta like building a ship in the bottle.  I suspect the only way to get a hoist in the there is to remove the intake and drop the boom all the way in the valley just so you can lift it up off the motor mounts.

Anyway, I've cut the threads with Spank's mini time-sert tool.  The seat reamer is different so I'm still trying to track down the Triton tool.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)